Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Who will be the next quality home-grown Orioles Starting Pitcher?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,584 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

We all know pitching is too expensive for Petey's tastes and that it's what is keeping the Orioles from being competitive. After the endless parade of failures they've trotted out there, who will be the next guy to be a legitimate 1 or 2 that is drafted by the team?

Bundy? Gausman? Someone else? Someone not drafted yet? Someone not born yet?
The kids are alright.

#2 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Someone whose grandfather isn't born yet

(and the old cockroach will still be alive and owning the team)

Edited by LarryN, 11 December 2013 - 04:54 PM.

"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,641 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

was Gausman projected as a #2? I know he wasn't seen as a #1.

the rational side of my brain says that he and Bundy can be those guys. but the cynical side of my brain reminds me that we've seen a long parade of so called top of the rotation prospects fizzle out before they ever arrived. 

I have been listening for details about Eduardo Rodriguez. I like that (until last fall) he was flying completely under the radar. it's that kind of quiet, patient development that keeps a prospect engaged in the process of learning and developing. Bundy and Gausman have, the flash, the panache. but the less touted guys have to work harder and smarter. the road is less paved, so they learn how to deal with the bumps. I'm guessing Gausman, in the whole of his career, never got lite up like he did in his debut. he had no clue how to respond. he just kept do the same think over and over. and the results were the same. 

Bundy, of course, had his arm destroyed by his high school coach. he'll probably blow out his arm before he finishes 1 full season in the big leagues. again, it may just be the history of the team, but I have already resigned myself to the opinion that Bundy will be another Matt Riley.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,356 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm hoping Rodriguez.

#5 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Someone in the 2015 draft and so far this offseason they're on track for a great pick.

#6 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

Matusz was the #4 pick, that should be a #1 starter. Fire everyone who scouted, drafted, signed and coached him.

Need a clean slate to develop talent

Edited by larsanderson, 11 December 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#7 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Some of you guys make me laugh. It's like somebody should be able to push a button on a high school kid and he will be revealed as an all-star big league starter. I think it is more like a crap shoot when you take into account how someone may or may not develop, grow or not, have the mental and emotional makeup, get injured etc. etc. So fire everybody involved. Who are you going to replace them with? And then you'll be 100% sure of drafting and developing a home grown #1? Dream on.

#8 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

Some of you guys make me laugh. It's like somebody should be able to push a button on a high school kid and he will be revealed as an all-star big league starter. I think it is more like a crap shoot when you take into account how someone may or may not develop, grow or not, have the mental and emotional makeup, get injured etc. etc. So fire everybody involved. Who are you going to replace them with? And then you'll be 100% sure of drafting and developing a home grown #1? Dream on.

I think if it was just one guy, you'd have an inarguable point. But, it feels like the team has been wrong over and over while other teams (TB for example) seem to get it right much more frequently. That makes it really frustrating.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,641 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

I agree that drafting kids is a tough process. I wouldn't even begin to pretend it's something I know anything about. but I do know this, teams like TB and StL (just to name a couple) have a long and recent track record of amazing success with drafting pitchers. meanwhile, the O's haven't drafted an impact starting pitcher since who? Mussina? that was 1990.

I grant you the reality that it isn't an exact science. but is there any other team who has been as bad as the O's over the last 25 years? the Stockstill brothers have a reputation for being atrocious at player development. but PGA likes them, so they are allowed to stick around. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#10 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

I would guess that every other team in the league has managed to draft and develop a solid pitcher since the O's brought Mussina up.  If we're gonna count Bedard I would still bet more than half the teams have managed since him.

#11 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

so ,it's a crap shoot in drafting pitchers when they are young, it's not the fault of the scouts and coaches that the Orioles have gone over 20 without a home grown number one starter and signing established and accomplished veteran pitchers is too costly. Thanks for posting Mr Angelos. You are the worst owner in sports

#12 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,795 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

I think if it was just one guy, you'd have an inarguable point. But, it feels like the team has been wrong over and over while other teams (TB for example) seem to get it right much more frequently. That makes it really frustrating.

And the Cards ...

It can't be as difficult as the O's make it seem.

They have taken player development incompetence to a new level.

#13 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

And the Cards ...

It can't be as difficult as the O's make it seem.

They have taken player development incompetence to a new level.

And the development may be the real problem. It's not like other scouts and experts disagreed with many of the O's pitching choices, it's that they didn't live up to expectations.  Could minor league development - versus drafting the wong kid - explain many of these failures? 

#14 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

And the development may be the real problem. It's not like other scouts and experts disagreed with many of the O's pitching choices, it's that they didn't live up to expectations.  Could minor league development - versus drafting the wong kid - explain many of these failures? 

It might be part of it.  But looking at every teams draft picks, most of them don't work out either.  I was looking at the other AL teams yesterday and Seattle, Cleveland, Minnesota, and Houston haven't developed much in the way of pitching via the draft either.  They've all been about as bad as the O's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users