• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

Get the party poppers and noisemakers ready. Could be the highlight of the O's off-season.

:D  :D  :D

Edited by Gizmo, 12 December 2013 - 03:22 AM.

#2 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:24 AM

Oh, how exciting
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,834 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

The Orioles took Ryan Flaherty in 2012 and T.J. McFarland last year. This year, they have the 16th pick.

Duquette has mentioned the Rule 5 draft often. The club has done a lot of work on it, and if the Orioles are able to get another player through the draft, that would be not only a rarity but also a major accomplishment.

The past couple of years, we did a good job with the scouting and a good job with the player development at the big league level to make up the gap in experience the players we got lacked,” Duquette said.

Did the scouts know Flaherty was going to hit below .200 for most of the season? Or that he's a career .221 hitter? Only in Bird Land is picking up a rule 5 guy that hits around .200 considered an accomplishment :(

Edited by bmore_ken, 12 December 2013 - 09:58 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

Get the party poppers and noisemakers ready. Could be the highlight of the O's off-season.

:D  :D  :D

yep, until that late winter signing of Oilcan Boyd.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,834 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

And the selection is

The Orioles finally made an acquisition Thursday morning, but their first move of the winter meetings wasn’t a free agent signing or a key trade. They selected a player in the Rule 5 draft.

The Orioles picked third baseman Michael Almanzar from the Boston Red Sox in the major league portion of the Rule 5 draft.

Almanzar, 23, hit .268/.328/.432 with 16 home runs and 81 RBIs last season for Double-A Portland. He was also 13 of 16 on stolen-base attempts.

Primarily a third baseman, the right-handed hitting Almanzar also played 23 games at first base and 35 at designated hitter for the Sea Dogs in 2013.

http://www.baltimore...0,4586037.story

#6 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

And the selection is

The Orioles finally made an acquisition Thursday morning, but their first move of the winter meetings wasn’t a free agent signing or a key trade. They selected a player in the Rule 5 draft.

The Orioles picked third baseman Michael Almanzar from the Boston Red Sox in the major league portion of the Rule 5 draft.

Almanzar, 23, hit .268/.328/.432 with 16 home runs and 81 RBIs last season for Double-A Portland. He was also 13 of 16 on stolen-base attempts.

Primarily a third baseman, the right-handed hitting Almanzar also played 23 games at first base and 35 at designated hitter for the Sea Dogs in 2013.

http://www.baltimore...0,4586037.story

Sweet we can move Manny to SS, have Almanzar play 3rd and salary dump....err sorry trade Hardy to free up some cap room...sorry  reallocate resources.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

it's amazing, but this off season actually makes me pine for the good old days when they at least added players like Wilson Betemit. I see a pattern here, and I cracked the code. DD is trying to field an all rule 5 team. he now has 3 minor leaguers that must be kept on the MLB roster all year. 

Awesome!!!

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

http://www.baseball-...id=almanz001mic

Wouldn't be terrible if they picked him up to play in the minors for a year or two to get a look. But sadly, that's not the case.

Why does this team feel like they MUST pick up a Rule V player every year? It wouldn't kill them to say "pass".

Edited by LarryN, 12 December 2013 - 10:49 AM.

"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#9 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

it's amazing, but this off season actually makes me pine for the good old days when they at least added players like Wilson Betemit. I see a pattern here, and I cracked the code. DD is trying to field an all rule 5 team. he now has 3 minor leaguers that must be kept on the MLB roster all year.

Awesome!!!

They don't have to keep Flaherty & McFarlane on the major league roster anymore. It's just the year the pick them. In fact, I think Flaherty went down for a while last year.

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,834 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

http://www.baseball-...id=almanz001mic

Wouldn't be terrible if they picked him up to play in the minors for a year or two to get a look. But sadly, that's not the case.

Why does this team feel like they MUST pick up a Rule V player every year? It wouldn't kill them to say "pass".

Cheap

#11 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

76-86

#12 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Do the Orioles ever LOSE anyone to the Rule V draft?

#13 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationColumbia

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

The Rangers selected Russell Wilson, just in case that football thing in Seattle doesn't work out.

http://www.cbssports...in-rule-5-draft

#14 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

The Rangers selected Russell Wilson, just in case that football thing in Seattle doesn't work out.

http://www.cbssports...in-rule-5-draft

the only reason the Orioles didn't take him is that it would have cost them $12,000. Only the major market teams like the Rangers can afford to be so frivolous

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

They don't have to keep Flaherty & McFarlane on the major league roster anymore. It's just the year the pick them. In fact, I think Flaherty went down for a while last year.

that's correct. but they have 3 new rule 5 draft picks that must stay with the team all season. 

#16 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Do the Orioles ever LOSE anyone to the Rule V draft?

not recently (the last 3 years), that I'm aware of.

honestly though, when your farm system is so barren, as it has been for over a decade, what's there to lose? whose going to take some schlub from Frederick. 

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,834 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

that's correct. but they have 3 new rule 5 draft picks that must stay with the team all season. 

Can't they be offered back at some point?

#18 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

in all seriousness this is just an absolute waste, other teams are trying their best to put major league caliber players on their 25 man roster and we will be stuck with this AA scrub on the bench all season?  just flipping wonderful.

#19 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'm confused. Almanzar was the only one picked in the major league portion. Julio Borbon (who has acually played in the majors) was taken in the AAA portion, and I don't believe he needs to stay on the 25 man roster.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...8&vkey=news_mlb

#20 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

in all seriousness this is just an absolute waste, other teams are trying their best to put major league caliber players on their 25 man roster and we will be stuck with this AA scrub on the bench all season?  just flipping wonderful.

He could be the next Roberto Clemente. No all Rule 5 draftees are busts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users