Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

“No more home plate collisions?! What is this? NFL quarterbacks are catchers now?”

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Josh Reddick's reaction to the ban on home plate collisions.

http://detroit.cbslo...isions-at-home/

I suppose I don't really have a problem with the ban if it's a malicious hit, but if the catcher is blocking the plate and the only way there is though him, well then by all means, make him move.

Edited by LarryN, 12 December 2013 - 11:35 AM.

"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,669 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

if I understand correctly, the catcher is no longer allowed to block the plate. 

that's part of the problem I have with this change. defenders can block 2B & 3B if they're holding the ball. if a player is trying to get back to 1B, the defender can block the bag. it seems subjective to make it illegal to block the plate. 

I see the difference between the types of plays that happen on the bases vs. the plate. no one is going to run from 1b to 2b and throw elbows at the shortstop. the runner would most probably over run the bag and be tagged out anyway.

when the catcher has the ball, he now has to stand to the side of the plate. that allows the runner to slide to the far side and improves his chances of being safe. I suppose catchers will now start running up the line where the runner is forced into a more narrow pathway.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Pete Rose is awesome.

#4 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

If the catcher has the ball he cannot block the plate? That seems unreasonable to me. In the past, a catcher waiting for the throw to arrive might block the plate just in hopes the ball will be caught in time to make the tag, and I can see where that would be against the rules. But if he has the ball the runner should not be allowed to crash into him. While this has been one of the most exciting plays in baseball (which can ill afford to cut down on opportunities for excitement) there is good reason to limit this violent play in a game that is not designed to be violent. But I really hate to see the catcher forced to occupy an unfavorable position to make this play.

#5 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

As an ex-catcher I blocked the plate and a hard slap tag to the face or balls equalizes everything at the plate. The first MLB game I ever watched on TV was the 1970 All Star game. Loved Rose's playing style.

#6 kudzu

kudzu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,992 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

As an ex-catcher I blocked the plate and a hard slap tag to the face or balls equalizes everything at the plate. The first MLB game I ever watched on TV was the 1970 All Star game. Loved Rose's playing style.

As a Braves fan, I'm sure you've an expert in the "face & balls" combination.

#7 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,171 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

I've never liked the idea of a catcher (or any fielder) blocking a plate / base, period.  With or without the ball.  And I've never liked the idea of a runner trying to imitate Ronnie Lott against a fielder.  I'd be glad to see MLB do away with it altogether.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#8 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

Bah humbug! Let 'em buy collision insurance!

I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#9 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,171 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

You know the timing of this change, coupled with the story below... NOT a coincidence...

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c2

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#10 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,873 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

As a former catcher I don't like this.  I got hit a few times during my college career. It was my fav part of the job.  Heck I had the gear on not them. Hit me all you want. 

I often wonder if they even speak with current or past players when making decisions like this. 

I'm a Legend in Japan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users