• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

I read where the O's have a 3 year/$21mil contract out to Balfour now.  I just can't believe that's how Duquette would re-allocate his resources.  That's just dumb if he does it.  He was only committed to Johnson for 10 mil, now you are going to commit a total of 21 mil to a 36 year old closer.  He should of packaged Johnson with others for Fister.  Now that would of been moving the club forward.  Could Duquette have thought Johnson was going to be that bad this year that he dumped him for a couple shag balls.  Saving three mil this year but committing another 14 mil over the next two years to an aging closer just doesn't maker sense to me. 

#2 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Duquette to Balfour.  2yrs/11 mil is my guess.  Just more smoke and mirrors.  O's are complete bottom feeders along with Marlins.  Even Marlins doled out 3/21mil for Salty.  What's biggest deal diamond dan has given out to a player outside the organization?  I think Wada at 4.2/yr.  Now that's sad.

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,463 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

The Orioles' plan is to do nothing, get worse, and hope that the young arms magically buck the trends of the last 20 years and become studs. Result: 66-72 wins. Last place.
The kids are alright.

#4 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,940 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

The Orioles' plan is to do nothing, get worse, and hope that the young arms magically buck the trends of the last 20 years and become studs. Result: 66-72 wins. Last place.

It appears to be the same plan as last year: Hope a lot of unlikely things happen -- mediocre pitchers suddenly get good, Davis hits 50+ again, Machado recovers quickly and regains his early 2013 form at the plate, Reimold miraculously plays the entire season and doesn't suck, Markakis' regains a step and his swing, AAAA hitters shine at DH ... And on and on.

#5 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Supports Gun Sanity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

It appears to be the same plan as last year: Hope a lot of unlikely things happen -- mediocre pitchers suddenly get good, Davis hits 50+ again, Machado recovers quickly and regains his early 2013 form at the plate, Reimold miraculously plays the entire season and doesn't suck, Markakis' regains a step and his swing, AAAA hitters shine at DH ... And on and o/n.

What mediocre pitchers were good for us last year?

Edited by Grindelwald, 16 December 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#6 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,940 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

What mediocre pitchers were good for us last year?

That was the hope.

It didn't really work out.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Duquette to Balfour.  2yrs/11 mil is my guess.  Just more smoke and mirrors.  O's are complete bottom feeders along with Marlins.  Even Marlins doled out 3/21mil for Salty.  What's biggest deal diamond dan has given out to a player outside the organization?  I think Wada at 4.2/yr.  Now that's sad.

I haven't heard what the figures are for the offer to Balfour. but it isn't 3 yrs. that's the snag. he wants 3 yrs, and no one will give it to him. the Rockies are one of 2 other teams that have extended an offer. one of the other offers has an option for a 3rd year. whoever that other team is, they must not be a possible contender. otherwise, I'm sure he would take it. he's use to playing for the winning A's, so he probably doesn't want to wind down his career playing for an also ran.

the sad news for him is that he seems to be pinning his hopes on the Orioles, he better just move along down the road, because the O's are a 4-5 place team in the AL east. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,463 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

Balfour signs. 2 years for 15 million.
The kids are alright.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,313 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'm shocked. this is definitely an upgrade over Johnson.

Edited by weird-O, 17 December 2013 - 03:08 PM.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,038 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

wow!!!!! I gotta give DD his props for this one

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#11 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Yeah agree this isn't bad on a two year deal. Basically traded Johnson for Balfour, Weeks and the minor league catcher.  Plus saved 2.5 mil this year.  JJ needed change of scenery anyway after blowing all those saves.  I like Balfour's fire.  Maybe it will rub off on weiters and markakis who look like they are sleep walking most of the time!

#12 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

BB is smarter than DD, so I'm thinking the A's did what they wanted and the Orioles got the leftovers.

#13 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

Billy Beane has always looked at closers as expendable. He has a history of dealing them.

#14 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:03 AM

I'm shocked. this is definitely an upgrade over Johnson.

Upgrade??? not so fast.  Beane is smarter than Duquette just like i have been saying all week.  Doesn't make sense for Beane unless you look at the splits.   A's in a pitchers ball park, O's in a batters ball park.

Balfour at home era 1.98   away era 3.42!!!

Johnson at home era 3.07  away era 2.76 

I think Johnson is in for a heck of a year for the Athletics and we got a 36 yr old closer for 2 years who will probably be in the 3.25-3.50 ERA range pitching the majority of his games at Camden yards.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,313 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:23 AM

Upgrade??? not so fast.  Beane is smarter than Duquette just like i have been saying all week.  Doesn't make sense for Beane unless you look at the splits.   A's in a pitchers ball park, O's in a batters ball park.

Balfour at home era 1.98   away era 3.42!!!

Johnson at home era 3.07  away era 2.76 

I think Johnson is in for a heck of a year for the Athletics and we got a 36 yr old closer for 2 years who will probably be in the 3.25-3.50 ERA range pitching the majority of his games at Camden yards.

I agree that the coliseum is a pitchers best friend. we'll see how it plays out. but if I'm not mistaken, JJ is more of a pitch to contact type pitcher than GB. I had that in mind when I made the "upgrade" comment.

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,038 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

BB is smarter than DD, so I'm thinking the A's did what they wanted and the Orioles got the leftovers.

A closer with a higher save percentage and a lower price? I'll take those leftovers

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,313 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

A closer with a higher save percentage and a lower price? I'll take those leftovers

me too. I think the coliseum will help JJ, as it does for all pitchers. but when he collapsed in the post season, he never regained his dominance. for all his saves in 2013, he was consistently 1 bad pitch away from blowing save after save, in addition to the 9 he coughed up. I'm not expecting Mo Rivera, but every one of his 9th innings was a pins and needles situation.

I think the O's got better in the closer role.  

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,038 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

me too. I think the coliseum will help JJ, as it does for all pitchers. but when he collapsed in the post season, he never regained his dominance. for all his saves in 2013, he was consistently 1 bad pitch away from blowing save after save, in addition to the 9 he coughed up. I'm not expecting Mo Rivera, but every one of his 9th innings was a pins and needles situation.

I think the O's got better in the closer role.  

The coliseum might help him some. But it's not like all those blown saves were the result of HRs. In fact without going back to look, I'd guess most of them weren't. I don't know how anyone can look at this as Oakland getting the upper hand

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,313 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

The coliseum might help him some. But it's not like all those blown saves were the result of HRs. In fact without going back to look, I'd guess most of them weren't. I don't know how anyone can look at this as Oakland getting the upper hand

I was thinking more about the great expanse of foul territory. you're right, those blown saves were the result of teams stringing together 3,4,5 hits in the 9th.

#20 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

I was thinking more about the great expanse of foul territory. you're right, those blown saves were the result of teams stringing together 3,4,5 hits in the 9th.

With a few walks mixed in for good measure.  His problems started with HRs against the Yankees in the 2012 playoff, and he gave up the occasional loss by HR, but overall, I believe you guys are correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users