• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

"McDonogh (Owings Mills, Md.) 11-0* Season complete. Like FAB 50 No. 32 DeMatha, the Eagles ended their season nearly one month ago but they get to now go into the FAB 50 due to other teams losing. Many insiders in Maryland also think that the Eagles are just as good or perhaps better than DeMatha. In their final game, McDonogh impressed with a 37-6 win over Gilman of Baltimore"

http://www.studentsp...tball-rankings/

DeMatha (32) and McDonogh (48) are the only 2 ranked MD teams.

#2 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

"McDonogh (Owings Mills, Md.) 11-0* Season complete. Like FAB 50 No. 32 DeMatha, the Eagles ended their season nearly one month ago but they get to now go into the FAB 50 due to other teams losing. Many insiders in Maryland also think that the Eagles are just as good or perhaps better than DeMatha. In their final game, McDonogh impressed with a 37-6 win over Gilman of Baltimore"[/size]

http://www.studentsp...tball-rankings/

DeMatha (32) and McDonogh (48) are the only 2 ranked MD teams.

They deserve to be on the list. I don't think they were better than DeMatha but it would have been a very good game. McD will start the season as #1 in the state next year and should be Nationally Ranked. Gilman also will come in Nationally ranked. I think it will be the first time ever that two MIAA schools will start the season Naionally ranked. McD will miss Cohen and Ford on the line big time though. Gilman will miss Keihn but could have an even better player at that position in 13 year old Cam Spence. Sky is the limit for this young man. Hear McD has some young studs in the middle school though. Also hear that both schools could have more than a couple of transfers. Next year's game will be epic, Biff isn't taken that butt kicking sitting down. Take my word for that.

#3 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:51 AM

Is McDonogh gonna beef up their schedule next year?  For an MD team to go perfect and not get the national pub from USA today or maxpreps is usually not the case.  To finish out ranked 181 nationaly by maxpreps and not in the super 50 for usa today I'm not sure if they will enter ranked to high.  Would love to seen them up their great for MD high school football but I don't think it will happen.   

#4 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

There isn't one team from PA on that list - that seems odd

#5 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

Is McDonogh gonna beef up their schedule next year?  For an MD team to go perfect and not get the national pub from USA today or maxpreps is usually not the case.  To finish out ranked 181 nationaly by maxpreps and not in the super 50 for usa today I'm not sure if they will enter ranked to high.  Would love to seen them up their great for MD high school football but I don't think it will happen.

Very good point and you're probably right. They will come in as number 1 in Maryland but behind Gilman on the National Polls and probably not ranked because of their horrible schedule. They played this season for one thing and that was to beat Gilman. Gilman played a murderous schedule and took McD lightly. That won't happen next year. McD will need to beef that schedule up but I think you're right, they won't.

#6 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

GA,

You'll have to explain to me why Gilman took MCD lightly. Did they not watch film? Anybody who had would see that MCD got up by more earlier against common opponents. The reason the margin of victory against common opponents was almost identical: Dom called off the dogs asap while Biff likes to pad the boys' stats. Frankly Gilman is lucky both of the MCD RBs were hobbled (both were sub 75% speed wise) or the score differential might have been over 40. Sun Tzu says "The film never lies".

Edited by mop, 20 December 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#7 CHCCAPTAIN87

CHCCAPTAIN87

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

I dont understand how a team could take a undefeated team lightly!

#8 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

McDonogh's schedule this year was smarter than their 2012 schedule IMO. I don't really care about national recognition since its all subjective. It's nice if you get it but other than that what does it get you? When you're working with a varsity roster of 40 and a JV of 25 the most important thing is to keep everyone healthy going into the MIAA schedule. McDonogh plays mostly like-minded academic schools of similar enrollment and have for years. They've played 2 public schools since 2000, no WCAC teams besides Gonzaga and O'Connell and currently have 4 of 5 OOC games against out of state teams.

#9 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

GA,

You'll have to explain to me why Gilman took MCD lightly. Did they not watch film? Anybody who had would see that MCD got up by more earlier against common opponents. The reason the margin of victory against common opponents was almost identical: Dom called off the dogs asap while Biff likes to pad the boys' stats. Frankly Gilman is lucky both of the MCD RBs were hobbled (both were sub 75% speed wise) or the score differential might have been over 40. Sun Tzu says "The film never lies".

Why they took them lightly, I don't know but they definitely did. They took everybody in the MIAA lightly in my opinion. Anyone who saw the intensity that McD came out with and the intensity Gilman played with the whole game could see that Gilman took McD lightly. They felt they could just show up and McD kids would just fold. This Gilman team really lacked emotional leaders outside of Keihn. Ellison Jordan plays with a lot of rage but being so young, he's not a leader yet. I said before the game that Gilman had to play with more emotion to win the game and they didn't. I blame this on the coaches. Things were easy for Gilman in the MIAA the last few years and they got comfortable.

Personally I think this win was great for McD for this year, but horrible for them in the future. Don't believe me, ask CHC and Loyola. Biff don't take getting beat(and embarrassed) very lightly. I promise you, he's still upset about that loss. Kids are working out six days a week already. And I'm hearing that a couple of returning skill players for McD decided that after the championship that they wouldn't run indoor track as they have in years past. Bad sign for the Eagles already. Has the hunger now left?

#10 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

McDonogh's schedule this year was smarter than their 2012 schedule IMO. I don't really care about national recognition since its all subjective. It's nice if you get it but other than that what does it get you? When you're working with a varsity roster of 40 and a JV of 25 the most important thing is to keep everyone healthy going into the MIAA schedule. McDonogh plays mostly like-minded academic schools of similar enrollment and have for years. They've played 2 public schools since 2000, no WCAC teams besides Gonzaga and O'Connell and currently have 4 of 5 OOC games against out of state teams.

I see what you're saying but I disagree. If McD is playing to keep up with Gilman and that's clearly what they're doing, they will have to in turn also play a better schedule. They got away with it this year but I promise you, it they play another year with the same weak schedule, they won't beat Gilman. I also believe it does nothing for the kids. Kids are getting offers at McD now because of the win against Gilman, but if Woods doesn't have that game against Gilman, he would have NEVER gotten the MD offer. Cook would have gotten offers but it would have taken longer if he didn't play well and beat Gilman. What's the point of accumulating a mass of great talent just to play the Sisters of the Poor? I believe it's up to the coach and AD to challenge their kids. I'm not saying to play a Gilman like schedule but no reason why they shouldn't be playing regional powers and schools like DM!

#11 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

Why they took them lightly, I don't know but they definitely did. They took everybody in the MIAA lightly in my opinion. Anyone who saw the intensity that McD came out with and the intensity Gilman played with the whole game could see that Gilman took McD lightly. They felt they could just show up and McD kids would just fold. This Gilman team really lacked emotional leaders outside of Keihn. Ellison Jordan plays with a lot of rage but being so young, he's not a leader yet. I said before the game that Gilman had to play with more emotion to win the game and they didn't. I blame this on the coaches. Things were easy for Gilman in the MIAA the last few years and they got comfortable.

Personally I think this win was great for McD for this year, but horrible for them in the future. Don't believe me, ask CHC and Loyola. Biff don't take getting beat(and embarrassed) very lightly. I promise you, he's still upset about that loss. Kids are working out six days a week already. And I'm hearing that a couple of returning skill players for McD decided that after the championship that they wouldn't run indoor track as they have in years past. Bad sign for the Eagles already. Has the hunger now left?

You heard it here first, but MCD beats Gilman again next year. First, the Eagles return almost their entire dominant D. Everyone will be one year stronger and faster. Look out!! On offense, their QB returns for a 3rd year as a starter. He'll be stronger faster and can acutally throw accurately in contrast to the Gilman pass offense this past year. They do have large holes to fill at the left tackle spot and the returning RBs and WR will have to really step up to match the graduating seniors. MCD by 3 next year at Gilman in a low scoring affair.  

#12 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

You heard it here first, but MCD beats Gilman again next year. First, the Eagles return almost their entire dominant D. Everyone will be one year stronger and faster. Look out!! On offense, their QB returns for a 3rd year as a starter. He'll be stronger faster and can acutally throw accurately in contrast to the Gilman pass offense this past year. They do have large holes to fill at the left tackle spot and the returning RBs and WR will have to really step up to match the graduating seniors. MCD by 3 next year at Gilman in a low scoring affair.

I'm not willing to make a prediction just yet. McD will be very very good. But there's a lot of factors in who will win. One big factor will be transfers IMHO. Hearing about a lot and that could sway it one way or the other. Gilman also returns their whole D except Keihn, Vincent and a part time LB starter. Beside that, thu return the whole D and have many options to take over Vincent's position. They lose 3 OL but are STACKED at that position. Watch out for Troy Vincent's. Younger brother Taron, he will be a 9th grader and everyone says he is the best one in the whole family. Some say the top recruit Nationally for 8th graders. He will have an Ellison Jordan type effect.

#13 Hallman

Hallman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:45 AM

McDonough will win next year, no doubt.  Hell, Calvert Hall had Gilman and should have won the game this year.

#14 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Go in thinking like a loser you'll be loser.

#15 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

McDonough will win next year, no doubt.  Hell, Calvert Hall had Gilman and should have won the game this year.

Gilman beat CHC by 4 TD's and you say they should have won? Only a delusional CHC supporter would say something so asinine! McD hasn't beaten Gilman two years in a row in God knows how long. And they probably won't do it next year. Unlike CHC, Gilman is a PROGRAM. Not a school that has a few good years. Sometimes you lose. I predicted McD being very good this year THREE years ago. Biff and Tim Holley don't take losing very lightly. McD will be very very good next year, just can't see them beating Gilman at Gilman.

#16 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

On D MCD peaks next year, thereafter they're not as deep. On O and special teams, they'll need to fill some big holes. Can the remaining linemen improve (strength & technique) so much, they offset the loss of Cohen and Ford? Can their highly touted (out of rec league and on the forums) returning RBs live up to their potential and learn to hit the hole fast and run hard like the senior tandem they're replacing? Only time in the weight room working on both their upper and lower body as well as a ton of film study with the line will enable these returners to match their predecessors. Can a current or former soccer player at MCD step up like Supovitz did last season and put the long individual training hours in to keep kicking game at par? The answers to these 3 questions as well as the progression of the QB will dictate how many points MCD will be able to score in 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users