• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 canis

canis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Chances are, you or someone you know has been impacted by the massive theft of about 40 million credit and debit card accounts at Target's stores. The fraud reportedly lasted between Nov. 27 to Dec. 15, encompassing Black Friday and marking a time when many Americans visited the retailer for holiday shopping. Even worse, the breach reportedly involved almost all of Target's 1,797 stores in the U.S. 

http://www.cbsnews.c...d-theft-victim/

#2 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

Looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better....

http://bits.blogs.ny...ck-market/?_r=0

#3 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

Looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better....

http://bits.blogs.ny...ck-market/?_r=0

Yea, that was just a matter of time ........

read Kingpin if you have an interest in this sort of thing .......

good book that details this from the number thefts, the sales on the internet, making the fake cards, the shopping sprees and sales on ebay, etc.......

the news stories say this is  the biggest hack since the TJ Maxx case which is covered in the book ....

Edited by Eastside Terp, 21 December 2013 - 10:59 AM.

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#4 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,794 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Last night at Target at Long Gate one would never guess by looking at the parking lot that there was a problem Absolutely packed -- not a parking spot to be found. Fortunately, I was heading to Kohl's :)
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#5 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:24 AM

no news out there yet, they are still just speculating how they pulled it off .......

http://www.mercuryne...rget-data-heist

http://www.slate.com...rd_hackers.html

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#6 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

now they are saying they may have PIN numbers from debit cards and banks are taking some counter measures ......

http://finance.yahoo...-054416116.html

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#7 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

I got my notification yesterday. They are limiting cash withdrawals from ATM's to $500.

#8 EmDot

EmDot

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,810 posts
  • LocationIn the land of optimism

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Without notification, I (and Young Dot) got a new card and PIN. The funny thing is, I hardly ever shop at Target, but happened to during the "window."

To retaliate in kind would do nothing but intensify the existence of hate in the universe. Along the way of life, someone must have sense enough, and morality enough, to cut off the chain of hate. ~~ MLK

#9 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

Without notification, I (and Young Dot) got a new card and PIN. The funny thing is, I hardly ever shop at Target, but happened to during the "window."

yea, I have been there twice in my life and 1 of those times was the next to the last day of the window .......

go figure ......

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#10 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

70 million people were affected. They got pin numbers, 3 digit security codes, names, addresses, everything.

http://www.nytimes.c...omers.html?_r=1

#11 bullmikey

bullmikey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,891 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

I don't know if it had anything to do with Target (I have never been there but mrs. bullmikey may have from time to time) but a few weeks ago I got a call from my credit card service saying that someone was trying to make a high value purchase using my card and wanting to know if it was me.  Since it wasn't the better half or me, I had them cancel the card and send me a new on immediately. So if you want to abuse my credit card and get away with it for a time, I advise thieves to make lots of dinky little purchases with it until I see the bill and cancel it anyway.

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
__ Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant

#12 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

The people that stole the card numbers are packaging them into custom sets according to region. I guess if the cardholder lives in MD and something was purchased in Idaho it would set off a red flag.

#13 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,794 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

I don't know if it had anything to do with Target (I have never been there but mrs. bullmikey may have from time to time) but a few weeks ago I got a call from my credit card service saying that someone was trying to make a high value purchase using my card and wanting to know if it was me.  Since it wasn't the better half or me, I had them cancel the card and send me a new on immediately. So if you want to abuse my credit card and get away with it for a time, I advise thieves to make lots of dinky little purchases with it until I see the bill and cancel it anyway. [/size]

Since November holiday shopping my daughter's credit card and her debit card were compromised and had to be replaced. Same with my debit card. They won't tell me the merchant involved with mine but one of my daughter's was Target.

#14 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

I drove to NYC the other day for a meeting and I had to stop on the Jersey Turnpike to get gas. I had to give the gas pumper my card and two hours later someone was using it in North Carolina.

Last summer I picked up a script at Target and paid for it at the pharmacy. While I was waiting for the script i bought a video game and paid for it at the electronics counter and then when I was walking out of the store I saw something and went to pay for it at the checkout counter and my card was declined. Bank of America cancelled the card because there were too many transactions too close together. Luckily I had a half an hour to get to the bank before they closed. I was going on vacation the next morning.

Edited by Shad, 23 January 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#15 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

my cards have been hacked a half dozen times but even though I used it at target no issues so far .......

I did get a call the other day and my company is sending me a new card in 2 weeks but I can still use mine  ......

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#16 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Now they are saying Neiman Marcus was hacked too and it's far bigger then anybody had imagined.

I have to shake my head at that one. My wife and I were shopping at the Neiman Marcus in Palm Beach and I went to buy a pair of shoes. When I got to the cashier I whipped out my credit card and the clerk looked down his nose at me and said "We have a store policy that credit cards can only be used for purchases of $500 or more.  I suggest you take your wife to the ladies handbag section on the 3rd floor. I'm sure she will find something there that will exceed the minimum."

#17 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,794 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

Until two years ago Neiman Marcus only accepted cash, Neiman Marcus or American Express. It now accept Visa and MC. Can't find anything about it only accepting purchases of over $500 when using credit cards. Seems pretty stupid but then again, limiting their customer base is just that, stupid. And it caught up with them.

#18 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Now I just got an e-mail from Marriott saying my card info may have been stolen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users