#1 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Unless they pull an O's move.

http://www.mlbtrader...th-rangers.html

Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#2 OsfaninCA

OsfaninCA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

that clear's the table...now there is really nothing left.

#3 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Nelson Cruz?

#4 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,549 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

Cruz could be a decent DH for someone, he's a butcher in the field though.

#5 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

Absolutely not for Cruz.  He's a one-trick poney....he would actually make the O's worse.

Napoli would be a guy that could probably be picked up on a short term contract, who could actually play the field and DH.

Edited by Far from home, 22 December 2013 - 02:38 AM.

Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.

#6 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,812 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

Absolutely not for Cruz.  He's a one-trick poney....he would actually make the O's worse.

Napoli would be a guy that could probably be picked up on a short term contract, who could actually play the field and DH.

Napoli re-signed with the Dead Sox

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

not that it matters, because the O's won't sign him, but Ervin Santana is still available.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

It's hard. I've been very disappointed with this off season. On the other hand, these seven and 10 year contracts are just outrageous. Very few players are actually worth that level of money during the waning years. So, with someone like Choo it is almost as if you paying $115 million in the hopes that he catapults you to a ring in his first four years and anything he gives during the last three is kind of a bonus.

I mean, look at Pujolis. He hit 258 last year. I'm sure he'll bounce back a little and produce some special moments but the Angels are stuck with him through 2022. That just doesn't seem like it is worth the risk.

#9 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,812 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

It's hard. I've been very disappointed with this off season. On the other hand, these seven and 10 year contracts are just outrageous. Very few players are actually worth that level of money during the waning years. So, with someone like Choo it is almost as if you paying $115 million in the hopes that he catapults you to a ring in his first four years and anything he gives during the last three is kind of a bonus.

I mean, look at Pujolis. He hit 258 last year. I'm sure he'll bounce back a little and produce some special moments but the Angels are stuck with him through 2022. That just doesn't seem like it is worth the risk.

To be fair, Pujols did very well after signing his last contract with the Cardinals and A-Rod won a few more MVPs after signing that 200 million deal with Texas. Obviously the Angels and Yankees were dumb for signing those guys to long-term deals after they were well into their 30's and due to decline offensively. 

Choo is very good and worth at least $100 million over 7 years. The extra 30-40 million is the premium teams must pay for the lack of top tier free agents. 

Teams are trending towards developing homegrown talent and spending the money to keep them from becoming free agents. The few who do eventually reach free agency are almost always going to be overpaid... 

Edited by soulflower, 22 December 2013 - 01:35 PM.

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#10 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Napoli re-signed with the Dead Sox

oh well.

#11 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

Why couldn't we have just gotten Beltran for 2 years? Oh well...

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

Why couldn't we have just gotten Beltran for 2 years? Oh well...

because Lough can be had for league minimum. he's not even arbitration eligible until 2016. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#13 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

because Lough can be had for league minimum. he's not even arbitration eligible until 2016. 

I don't have a problem with that move but it should be the last piece of the puzzle, not the only piece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users