• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

The Jets seem to play for Rex. Maybe Ozzie should offer him back door deal for DC next yr if they beat the Dolphins next week (joke). I say enjoy the playoff drama for next week, if we get in, we get in. We have no business being in this spot if you look at numbers, coaching, free agent losses, retirements, injuries and miracle finishes of the year.

#2 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

you need SD to loose. 

#3 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:51 AM

Then I heard this morning that if the Ravens, Steelers, Dolphins, and Chargers all lose on Sunday, Baltimore gets in.  I have no idea why that is and Keith Mills didn't seem to know either but apparently, that's another scenario that could happen.  With the Bengals already winning the division, the Ravens can at least hope their starters will only be out there for a half at the most.  It may be the only chance they have to win the game.

#4 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

you need SD to loose.

I thought as long as we are not in a there way tie, we have the tie breaker. I can't keep up with these new and different scenarios

Edited by Navypost, 23 December 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#5 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

You really think the Steelers will lose to the terrible Browns at home? No way that happens.

#6 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

KC has no reason to play for more than three quarters. Now if they put points on the board early, there is a case. The Jets will play for all four quarters against a divisional rival.

Edited by Navypost, 23 December 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#7 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,819 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

KC has no reason to play for more than three quarters. Now if they put points on the board early, there is a case. The Jets will play for all four quarters against a divisional rival.

No doubt the Jets will play the entire game to win, I just don't think they can. If the game was at New York I might give them a chance, but being at Miami I fully expect the Dolphins to win that game.

As for Reid and the Chiefs, if history is any judge Andy Reid will be sitting most of his starters this Sunday. He did it several times in Philly when the last game meant nothing to the Eagles. Even his statement on it now makes you believe he is going to treat this as a preseason game.

"I haven't made up my mind on how we're going to play it," Reid said. "I've done it a couple different ways, so we'll see how we do that. I'll evaluate all the different situations. I have sat people before, quite a few times actually and benefited from that so we'll look at everything and make sure I have that part evaluated."

And as the (other) AP's Dave Skretta pointed out, Reid's Eagles were 3-1 in the playoff games after those years.
"The obvious benefit is that you rest your guys," Reid said. "You get back feeling fresher than what you were in the end of the season."

http://www.arrowhead...tarters-week-17

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#8 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,819 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Then I heard this morning that if the Ravens, Steelers, Dolphins, and Chargers all lose on Sunday, Baltimore gets in.  I have no idea why that is and Keith Mills didn't seem to know either but apparently, that's another scenario that could happen.  With the Bengals already winning the division, the Ravens can at least hope their starters will only be out there for a half at the most.  It may be the only chance they have to win the game.

I don't understand this either. If Miami, SD, and Baltimore all win, Miami owns the tiebreaker based on conference record. But if they all lose, Baltimore does? I don't get that. It would seem to me that since they all play conference games then if they all win or they all lose, it shouldn't make a difference. The only way it would is if the tiebreaker involving common opponents came into play. Then since Miami and Baltimore had a common opponent in the Jets, maybe a loss to the Jets would hurt Miami and give the tiebreaker to the Ravens. But the rules cleary say conference record is the next tiebreaker after head to head in determining a three way or more tie for the wild card. So somebody has to tell me how they can all lose and Baltimore gets the spot, yet if they all win, Miami gets the spot. ???????
I will choose freewill.

#9 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,819 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

I have figured it out, thanks to the internet and some research. If all 4 teams lose, then the Jets at 8-8 throw themselves into the tiebreaker. They are eliminated, but thanks to a season head to head sweep they would eliminate Miami. If any two teams from the same division are tied, the division tiebreakers are applied first to eliminate one of the teams. So if the Jets win, they win the division tiebreaker against Miami and eliminate them. The wild card tiebreaker is applied between the remaining 8-8 teams, Baltimore, San Diego and NY and Baltimore wins that scenario. It is also why in that scenario, Pittsburgh is still alive with a win. If they win, they knock out the Ravens on division record in the division tie breaker and then the tie breaker is applied to Pittsburgh, NY and San Diego and Pittsburgh wins. Complicated for sure, but at least it makes sense now. The bottom line is that the Ravens have to win and hope that either the Jets or the Chiefs win. Since both are on the road and KC may rest their starters, that may be a tall order. I think the all 4 losing is a real long shot because even if the Jets pull the upset, and the Chiefs play the game to win, it's hard for me to see Pittsburgh losing at home to Cleveland in a 1pm game where they are still alive.
I will choose freewill.

#10 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

As long we don't get eliminated because of those four points we lost in the Steelers' game, I will be fine.

#11 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

KC has nothing to play for. Who ever Alex Smith's backup is will get some most of the snaps.

#12 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,819 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

As long we don't get eliminated because of those four points we lost in the Steelers' game, I will be fine.

Nope. The tiebreakers between the teams are cut and dried as far as division records between Pittsburgh and Baltimore and conference records between the other team. Point differential will not be used. IMO, if the Ravens don't make the playoffs, 4 things stand out to me. The loss at Buffalo, the loss at Cleveland, the decision to try and onside kick and give Pittsburgh an easy 3 points in a game that ultimately was decided by 3, and the decision to go on 4th and goal in a tight Green Bay game instead of kick a FG in a game that ultimately was decided by 2 pts. Obviously, even if the two coaching decisions are changed, it does not guarantee victory as the game might have played out differently, but I thought at the time they were stupid coaching decisions by Harbaugh, and I still think so.

Edited by cprenegade, 23 December 2013 - 08:17 PM.

I will choose freewill.

#13 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:10 AM

I have figured it out, thanks to the internet and some research. If all 4 teams lose, then the Jets at 8-8 throw themselves into the tiebreaker. They are eliminated, but thanks to a season head to head sweep they would eliminate Miami. If any two teams from the same division are tied, the division tiebreakers are applied first to eliminate one of the teams. So if the Jets win, they win the division tiebreaker against Miami and eliminate them. The wild card tiebreaker is applied between the remaining 8-8 teams, Baltimore, San Diego and NY and Baltimore wins that scenario. It is also why in that scenario, Pittsburgh is still alive with a win. If they win, they knock out the Ravens on division record in the division tie breaker and then the tie breaker is applied to Pittsburgh, NY and San Diego and Pittsburgh wins. Complicated for sure, but at least it makes sense now. The bottom line is that the Ravens have to win and hope that either the Jets or the Chiefs win. Since both are on the road and KC may rest their starters, that may be a tall order. I think the all 4 losing is a real long shot because even if the Jets pull the upset, and the Chiefs play the game to win, it's hard for me to see Pittsburgh losing at home to Cleveland in a 1pm game where they are still alive.

Thanks, but that hurt my head; got any motrin? :)

#14 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Great feeling having your Playoff hopes in the hands of the "Great Gino Smith" :unsure:  :unsure:

#15 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,819 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

Well the Jets came through and gave the Ravens the help they needed.  Unfortunately the Ravens were in the giving mood and gave it away to either the Chargers or the Steelers.

I will choose freewill.

#16 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well the Jets came through and gave the Ravens the help they needed.  Unfortunately the Ravens were in the giving mood and gave it away to either the Chargers or the Steelers.

Not before the Bengals tried to give it to the Ravens. Halfway thru the final quarter, the Bengals go to hurry-up offense leaving at least 25 seconds on the game clock instead of running it down to 2 or 3 seconds. Back-to-back penalties totalling 30 yards. And worst of all, 1st and goal at the Ravens 1, and Dalton throws an interception on a jump ball. All this up 2 scores! WTF are they doing? Of course, the Ravens in a charitable mood, bails them out and the rest is history.

Edited by SNAFU, 29 December 2013 - 04:22 PM.

I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#17 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Not before the Bengals tried to give it to the Ravens. Halfway thru the final quarter, the Bengals go to hurry-up offense leaving at least 25 seconds on the game clock instead of running it down to 2 or 3 seconds. Back-to-back penalties totalling 30 yards. And worst of all, 1st and goal at the Ravens 1, and Dalton throws an interception on a jump ball. All this up 2 scores! WTF are they doing? Of course, the Ravens in a charitable mood, bails them out and the rest is history.

Bengals appear to be very frustrating team for a Cincinnati supporter. Andy is like Rex Grossman 2.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users