• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

If he has any regard for his future in baseball and has any self-respect, he would take a page out of Pat Gillick's book and tell Petey to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.  With Petey's prints all over the Balfour contract back-out, Diamond Dan looks like a fool as well.  Look at the legacies of past Oriole GMs who stuck around.  Thrift, Beattie, Flanny and MacPhail all were tarnished and embarrassed when they left. Not sure about Wren?  Went sour is all I know and quickly.  Your three year honeymoon is over.  Get out now!  Petey has the wheel now.  Face it folks.  We are the Marlins of the American League.

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

He waited 10 years to get back in a GM's chair. No chance he leaves.
The kids are alright.

#3 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

Yeah I know.  He will just go down as another one of Petey's punks.  Crawling on his hands and knees asking to spend a nickel here or there, while Petey socks away the big bucks from MASN, ect. 

#4 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,694 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

I don't think we need to hammer DD here. I would love to have his job. The thing I know about him is that, even though I know he isn't always right, he will do what he can within his means to make the team as good as he can. This is probably a massive challenge which he enjoys.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#5 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, no way is he leaving. Angelos could make him clean the bathrooms in the warehouse as part of his GM duties, and he still wouldn't leave.

#6 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

No self respecting person would stay. The ones who did had no other options and look what it did to Flanny. I think he has a 3 year deal that ends in 2014. If I was Seattle I'd look at him.

#7 flarkenberry

flarkenberry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,751 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

If he were really to take a page out of Pat Gillick's book, he would fulfill the terms of his contract and then leave. Gillick didn't quit. I expect DD won't, either.

The path to baseball wisdom begins here.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

DD and Buck were extended thru 2018. they sign on for another tour of duty last spring.

something I'm convinced of, is that DD won't lose credibility with the league. everyone knows who Pete is. Wren, Gillick, Flanny, Jon Miller, all these men were just as respected after their O's tenure, as they were before. Flanny didn't want to move on, but he could have. Thrift was well beyond his ability to be a GM, and Beattie was horrible as a GM. they shouldn't have been hired to begin with.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,694 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

DD and Buck were extended thru 2018. they sign on for another tour of duty last spring.
something I'm convinced of, is that DD won't lose credibility with the league. everyone knows who Pete is. Wren, Gillick, Flanny, Jon Miller, all these men were just as respected after their O's tenure, as they were before. Flanny didn't want to move on, but he could have. Thrift was well beyond his ability to be a GM, and Beattie was horrible as a GM. they shouldn't have been hired to begin with.

I'm wondering if Petey actually fooled DD as well, in order to lure him into a longer term contract.
There seemed to be some light at the end of the tunnel, as far as FA approach here last offseason - then suddenly it was business as usual this year.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#10 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

If I had to grade the Orioles off season as of today it would be an F

#11 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

Yeah, no way is he leaving. Angelos could make him clean the bathrooms in the warehouse as part of his GM duties, and he still wouldn't leave.

Duquette is NOT the general manger of the Baltimore Orioles, he is Executive Vice President for baseball operations. There is no General Manager.

#12 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

I don't know if I agree with this.  Duquette's image and credibility have really been damaged by this Balfour fiasco IMO.  Yeah, everyone knows Petey is Petey, but Duquette is tied to this mess.  How do you make a deal and announce it before you have the owners approval.  Even if Petey changed his mind it smacks of incompetence and mis-communication up the chain of command.  Sorry, but Duquette takes a big hit in collateral damage.  It also shows weak leadership by Duquette to be lead around the nose by Petey and then stand up their and lie that Balfour isn't healthy to cover Petey's tracks.  So there is a lack of integrity there as well.

Speaking of former O's GMs, Beatty, Flanny and McPhail never got another sniff of another GM job,  They were deemed failures by the league because they couldn't build a team that could crack .500.  Mostly because of Petey, but nevertheless, they failed.

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,794 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Speaking of former O's GMs, Beatty, Flanny and McPhail never got another sniff of another GM job, 

Were they even looking?

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

I don't know if I agree with this.  Duquette's image and credibility have really been damaged by this Balfour fiasco IMO.  Yeah, everyone knows Petey is Petey, but Duquette is tied to this mess.  How do you make a deal and announce it before you have the owners approval.  Even if Petey changed his mind it smacks of incompetence and mis-communication up the chain of command.  Sorry, but Duquette takes a big hit in collateral damage.  It also shows weak leadership by Duquette to be lead around the nose by Petey and then stand up their and lie that Balfour isn't healthy to cover Petey's tracks.  So there is a lack of integrity there as well.

Speaking of former O's GMs, Beatty, Flanny and McPhail never got another sniff of another GM job,  They were deemed failures by the league because they couldn't build a team that could crack .500.  Mostly because of Petey, but nevertheless, they failed.

breaking up quotes is difficult with this new platform, so I'll try to answer you point by point.

1) DD and the O's didn't announce a deal was finalized. they announced that they had agreed to terms with GB, "pending a physical". every deal in mlb has that caveat. Napoli faced the same situation last winter with Boston. 

2) if you want to blame DD for the probability that PGA changed his mind, that's your prerogative. but it only serves to give you more than one target on whom to project your frustration. I've followed this team long enough to know that the person sitting in the GM chair isn't the problem.

3) collateral damage isn't DD's fault, and you are the only person, I know of, who blames DD. that doesn't make you wrong, but your being right, makes several mlb insiders wrong.

4) as for weak leadership, DD isn't the leader, or the decision maker. PGA is. all responsibility for this seems to be laying at the owner's feet.

5) questioning DD's integrity and moral character for publicly delivering the company's message, is like blaming Tony Snow or Jay Carney for delivering messages from the white house. you're literally shooting the messenger :D

6) Beatty was a failure before he came to the O's. that's why he didn't get another job after his contract ended. Flanny never tried to get another GM job, because he was only interested in working for the O's. and McPhail hasn't tried to get another job yet. in a recent interview he mentioned that he is only now starting to get the itch to get back in the game. also, you may be interested to know that it has been repeatedly speculated that AM will be tapped to replace Selig. so he must have some degree of credibility left.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#15 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

breaking up quotes is difficult with this new platform, so I'll try to answer you point by point.

1) DD and the O's didn't announce a deal was finalized. they announced that they had agreed to terms with GB, "pending a physical". every deal in mlb has that caveat. Napoli faced the same situation last winter with Boston. 

2) if you want to blame DD for the probability that PGA changed his mind, that's your prerogative. but it only serves to give you more than one target on whom to project your frustration. I've followed this team long enough to know that the person sitting in the GM chair isn't the problem.

3) collateral damage isn't DD's fault, and you are the only person, I know of, who blames DD. that doesn't make you wrong, but your being right, makes several mlb insiders wrong.

4) as for weak leadership, DD isn't the leader, or the decision maker. PGA is. all responsibility for this seems to be laying at the owner's feet.

5) questioning DD's integrity and moral character for publicly delivering the company's message, is like blaming Tony Snow or Jay Carney for delivering messages from the white house. you're literally shooting the messenger :D

6) Beatty was a failure before he came to the O's. that's why he didn't get another job after his contract ended. Flanny never tried to get another GM job, because he was only interested in working for the O's. and McPhail hasn't tried to get another job yet. in a recent interview he mentioned that he is only now starting to get the itch to get back in the game. also, you may be interested to know that it has been repeatedly speculated that AM will be tapped to replace Selig. so he must have some degree of credibility left.

I'm not blaming DD for this mess, but only pointing out that he is the doormat that has to clean it up and will look bad doing it.  It's just my opinion other clubs, players and agents will look unfavorably on him for this. Jeff Loria, in Miami, will like him though for carrying out cheap and deceitful practices.

Personally I like DD and think he has done an OK job. Most of the core is still McPhail guys, but DD has done OK on a shoestring budget. The only blame for DD is to allow himself to be Petey's pathetic bagman.  Thus the topic of the post to get out now with a little bit of integrity. This is only going to get worse. 

This could be a separate topic, but where the hell did the 37 million go that we chopped off the 2013 payroll? I feel bad in one way for DD that he can't do his job and spend those savings.  But he danced with the devil to get back in a GM chair.  Guess it's starting to get pretty hot down yonder, ooops I mean in the warehouse.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

I'm not blaming DD for this mess, but only pointing out that he is the doormat that has to clean it up and will look bad doing it.  It's just my opinion other clubs, players and agents will look unfavorably on him for this. Jeff Loria, in Miami, will like him though for carrying out cheap and deceitful practices.

Personally I like DD and think he has done an OK job. Most of the core is still McPhail guys, but DD has done OK on a shoestring budget. The only blame for DD is to allow himself to be Petey's pathetic bagman.  Thus the topic of the post to get out now with a little bit of integrity. This is only going to get worse. 

This could be a separate topic, but where the hell did the 37 million go that we chopped off the 2013 payroll? I feel bad in one way for DD that he can't do his job and spend those savings.  But he danced with the devil to get back in a GM chair.  Guess it's starting to get pretty hot down yonder, ooops I mean in the warehouse.

I follow your logic, I really do. but there are only 30 of these jobs in the world. of the 30 jobs, this has to be at or next to the bottom when it comes to most desirable o the 30.

#17 Jabez

Jabez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

Well, Gizmo, as the SUN reported a few weeks back, PGA did take over DD's office at the Warehouse. What else needs to be said ?

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

Well, Gizmo, as the SUN reported a few weeks back, PGA did take over DD's office at the Warehouse. What else needs to be said ?

when I read that article, I knew the "good times", as brief as they were, were dead.

#19 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,286 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

If I had to grade the Orioles off season as of today it would be an F

No one would disagree with you.

#20 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Right wing lie debunker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,544 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

I don't think we need to hammer DD here. I would love to have his job. The thing I know about him is that, even though I know he isn't always right, he will do what he can within his means to make the team as good as he can. This is probably a massive challenge which he enjoys.

It was a knock on PA, not DD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users