15 replies to this topic

#1 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates

The purpose of the present study is to determine the effects of state-level assault weapons bans and concealed weapons laws on state-level murder rates. Using data for the period 1980 to 2009 and controlling for state and year fixed effects, the results of the present study suggest that states with restrictions on the carrying of concealed weapons had higher gun-related murder rates than other states. It was also found that assault weapons bans did not significantly affect murder rates at the state level. These results suggest that restrictive concealed weapons laws may cause an increase in gun-related murders at the state level.

Cue the hoplophobes with their outdated, gun-control funded, biased "data" showing opposite results, of course.  :rolleyes:

(They'll try to lump in suicides with gun murders, a failed tactic that has no place in a study of guns and crime).

3.....2....1.....HoppieTime!

#2 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Those Quinnipiac are certainly spot on!

http://www.newsmax.c...10/04/id/529255

#3 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Wow, the Red Herring appears in the very next post!

Failure, illustrated again by Mitchum.

A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

Topic A is under discussion.
Topic B is introduced under the guise of being relevant to topic A (when topic B is actually not relevant to topic A).
Topic A is abandoned.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because merely changing the topic of discussion hardly counts as an argument against a claim.

#4 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

“What have I got in my pocket?" he said aloud. He was talking to himself, but Gollum thought it was a riddle, and he was frightfully upset.
"Not fair! not fair!" he hissed. "It isn't fair, my precious, is it, to ask us what it's got in it's nassty little pocketsess?” 

~Gollum

#5 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73,596 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

This is amusing. The gun nuts prohibit the government from funding gun studies because they feel they can be manipulated. And then they want us to accept a gun study that they like. Make up your minds, fellas.

Edited by hst2, 26 December 2013 - 09:32 AM.

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#6 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

Wow, the Red Herring appears in the very next post!

And reappears in post #5, lol!

#7 dsummoner

dsummoner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,319 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

The only nuts, of all kinds, belong to ACORN.  

Vae Victus
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is -- the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Churchill
Of course we're trying to be tax-efficient. Who doesn't want to be tax-efficient?" - The Edge of U2 on the use of Dutch tax shelters.
Merchant of Death & Ascriber of Jahbulon.
My purity is corrupted by my humanity - Me.

Amir of the Kufr Mujahiddeen

#8 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

ACORN hasn't been around in years Boomhauer.

#9 dsummoner

dsummoner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,319 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

The filth of ACORN has endured and has metastasized. 

"The spirit of ACORN endured. Its life force is bound to the Government, and the Government survived. ACORN has returned. Its Orcs have multiplied. Its fortress in the White House is rebuilt in the land of Washington, DC. ACORN needs only this Government to cover all the lands of a second darkness."

Vae Victus
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is -- the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Churchill
Of course we're trying to be tax-efficient. Who doesn't want to be tax-efficient?" - The Edge of U2 on the use of Dutch tax shelters.

#10 dsummoner

dsummoner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,319 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

BerthAzog 'The defiler' Lewis, back for the sequel. :D

ACORN’s former leader Bertha Lewis played critical, behind-the-scenes roles in getting Bill de Blasio elected mayor and Kenneth Thompson for Brooklyn district attorney, the New York Post reported.

“ACORN’s successor group, New York Communities for Change, endorsed de Blasio for mayor in early spring, and a Lewis protege, NYCC field director Harold Miller, helped run de Blasio’s field operation,” the New York Post said.

Vae Victus

#11 gonzoliberal

gonzoliberal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,667 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

HEAVEN forbid the lower classes work together to solve common problems.

:rolleyes:

#12 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Highly Sophisticated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

I see Jeebus does not take A break from hating on Christmas. Go pound sand, Grinch.

#13 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • LocationColumbia

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

This is amusing. The gun nuts prohibit the government from funding gun studies because they feel they can be manipulated. And then they want us to accept a gun study that they like. Make up your minds, fellas.

This same institution was the source of the "90% of all Americans favor background checks" data as well.

Did you (or do you still) accept that data?

#14 dsummoner

dsummoner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,319 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

HEAVEN forbid the lower classes work together to solve common problems.

:rolleyes:

Ah!  Gang rape conducted by the verminous orc hordes.

Vae Victus

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,289 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

A Jeebies thread. Hey Jeebs here's why your assertion with your little study as support  can't be considered as fact. Your little studies don't take into account other factors that affect murder numbers. Such as sentencing, policing methods, etc. Which means basically that your study has as much credibility as you do. I.E None

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#16 octoburn

octoburn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,363 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

Has this study been vetted by Mary Rosh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users