Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tootsie

Paul Blair Passed Away

19 posts in this topic

Greatest Center Fielder I ever saw play in person. (I saw Willie Mays but only watching him on tv.) Paul Blair was as good and that saying a lot, as Mays wassimply  fantastic. Blair made playing center field look effortless. I never saw him even have to dive for a ball as he got that great a jump in reading the ball off the bat.

As Palmer has said, he would often be turning and running as the batter swung the bat, he was that good at anticipating where the ball was being hit. He was the center field version of Mark Belanger and Brooks. That is the highest compliment I can pay him and as an Oriole fan since 1963 and  someone who saw him playing centerfield for years, I am not exaggerating one bit.

Edited by Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

this is truly shocking. he's around the team so often, that it's easy to get the sense of how he's doing. he was active and looked great. such a shame. I never saw him play, but his skills are held in such reverence, by players and fans alike, that it's easy to assume he was awesome in the outfield.

Peace to his family and friends

Edited by weird-O

As good a centerfielder defensively that ever played the game. The beaning by Ken Tatum really effected him and he was never the same at bat. Prior to that, he was a darned good hitter.

But in the field, he, like Brooks, seemed to come from a higher league!

RIP

Unlike Frank, Paul would sign autograph until his arm fell off.

Unlike Frank, Paul would sign autograph until his arm fell off.

That's good to hear, but that alone should not be a judgement of being a better person. OJ Simpson use to sign autographs as well. I'm just saying

That's good to hear, but that alone should not be a judgement of being a better person. OJ Simpson use to sign autographs as well. I'm just saying

For a kid growing up loving a game he can't play well it was for me. The nicest Baseball person I ever met in my life was Billy Martin. Most ex-O's were very nice when I met them. It cost nothing to be nice.

Feel fortunate to have seen Paul play along with many other quality O's players back in the day. Got out the baseball I've had since 1970 and looked at his and the rest of the autographs of his teammates from that era. Many good memories in Memorial stadium!

"Two thirds of the earth is covered with water, the rest was covered by Brooks Robinson & Paul Blair"

Rest in peace. My father always told me he was of the greatest outfielders of all time.

Paul Blair was the main reason I could be an O's fan, altho I lived near Chicago & the Cubs & Sox were 'round the corner. Blair was just fun to read about; & occasionally, back then, watch.