• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,595 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

Although I'm hoping the boys win tomorrow, I think the season is over. Who do you think stays with these cap numbers, who do you think might restructure to stay, and who do you think Oz is just going to release without a restuctured offer?

Ngata, Haloti DT           $16,000,000

Flacco, Joe QB           $14,800,000

Suggs, Terrell LB           $12,400,000

Webb, Lardarius CB           $10,500,000

Rice, Ray RB           $8,750,000

Yanda, Marshall OG           $8,450,000

McClain, Jameel LB           $4,400,000

Dumervil, Elvis OLB           $3,375,000

Canty, Chris DT           $3,166,666

Koch, Sam P        

$2,800,000

These are the Top 10 cap numbers. Obviously Flacco is going nowhere. I'd say Yanda probably isn't either consideering how bad the rest of the O line is. I think the guys obviously in danger of being cap cuts are Rice and Ngata. Ironically we'll be carrying $4M in dead money next year. What say you?

http://russellstreet...ens-salary-cap/

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#2 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Although I'm hoping the boys win tomorrow, I think the season is over. Who do you think stays with these cap numbers, who do you think might restructure to stay, and who do you think Oz is just going to release without a restuctured offer?

Koch, Sam P        

$2,800,000

These are the Top 10 cap numbers. Obviously Flacco is going nowhere. I'd say Yanda probably isn't either consideering how bad the rest of the O line is. I think the guys obviously in danger of being cap cuts are Rice and Ngata. Ironically we'll be carrying $4M in dead money next year. What say you?

-- ngata and suggs restructure. if they balk, release 'em. both have become complacent.

-- if it were me, i'd trade flacco. for the on-field decision-making and game-time and locker room leadership he provides (or lack thereof), he's not worth his contract. he too rode the coattails of ray lewis, ed reed, and anquan boldin.

-- webb, ray rice, and mcclain are still hungry. keep 'em.

-- release canty. he's another one not worth his contract.

-- dumervil? toss-up.

-- agree about yanda. lucky him.

-- sam koch? keep him. too synergetic in kicking game.

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,595 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Flacco's not going anywhere. Give him a decent line and he's shown what he can do. If you trade him who's playing QB, Tyrod? Hello  2-14 season

Edited by bmore_ken, 29 December 2013 - 09:25 PM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#4 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,032 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

Bye bye Rice, Canty and Koch. Flacco restructures. Maybe Suggs and Ngata do too.

#5 Easton Raven

Easton Raven

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

If Flacco goes...say goodbye to winning for a while. He ain't always pretty but I feel he's had more to do with what little success we've had this year than he gets credit for.

Gonna be a lot of tough calls. I hate to say it but I think maybe rice is Gone...probably Ngata too.  Suggs is on the bubble for sure..hard to say what happens to him but I don't see another dominant OLB on the roster now ...Dumevil has been up and down. 

I am also kind hoping that Pees changes schemes or gets hired elswhere. A lot of talking heads like him but I'd like to see our D get back to the dominance that it once was and I jsut don't see the hard nosed philosophy that preceded Pees there.   ...Maybe Rex would come back as DC?

#6 RestonRaven

RestonRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

I never get the portion of the fan base that simply wants to throw Flacco under the bus.  Is he inconsistent.  Yes.  He can be great or bad game to game, quarter to quarter, series to series.  When he is on though, he is on.  When you need a game winning drive in the last 4 minutes or OT - there are simply not many better than him in the clutch.  That is just him.  He is never going to be Brees, Rodgers or Peyton and put on an aesthetically pleasing 400 yd - 4 TD game week in and out.  However, he wins way more than he loses, never misses a game even though he takes a beating and he has just as many Super Bowl wins and MVPs as those 3 guys.  I'll take that.  Who exactly would you replace him with?  Brady, Brees, Peyton, Eli, Rodgers, Ben are the only other QBs in the NFL that have proven they can lead a team to a Super Bowl and they are all under contract.  Joe makes an equivalent salary to all those guys.  So do Stafford, Ryan, Romo, and Schaub. Cutler is going to get into that neighborhood with his contract next year as he is the only major playoff level QB on the market.  That is what the market pays, and unlike all of the aforementioned - Flacco has some hardware to show for it and appears to be a solid off the field guy.  He is only 27 - so barring  injury - he still has a long career ahead of him and has already validated that he can get the job done if surrounded by the right team.  He kind of reminds me of QBs like Phil Simms and Jim Plunkett from the 80's.  Strong armed Super Bowl winning QBs that were often overshadowed by some of the glamour QBs of their era - but ended up with rings and hardware while some of their contemporaries just piled up stats.

#7 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Koch, Sam P        

$2,800,000

Flacco isn't going anywhere, nor should he.  He is inconsistent, he is slow sometimes to make decisions, but he also has shown more than a few times that he can keep a play alive and improvise for a positive play.  He also has one of the strongest arms in the league.  Good QB's are hard to find and he has proven he can do it in clutch time.  WIth what Ngata is making, the production hasn't been there enough.  He either restructures or should be gone.  Same with Suggs.  He started off like his DPOY season, but has faded badly in the second half.  I would consider saying goodbye to Webb.  He has been out of position and burned on a number of times this year.  Pay cut and he stays, otherwise see ya.  Rice is a quandry.  Until this season he has been one of the better running backs in the league.  Gotta figure out if this is just an off year, if the O-line is mainly to blame, or if he is starting to lose it.  I might give him a pass and make a decision after next year.  Yanda is the best lineman of an awful group, but he is hurt a lot.  It does you no good to have a great lineman who only is 100% less than half the time, restructure or gone.  As for Koch, punters are easy to come by.  He has had a down year, and his salary is too high for his position.  Bring in some young talent, decide on the best of them and save some money. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,186 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

Flacco's not going anywhere. Give him a decent line and he's shown what he can do. If you trade him who's playing QB, Tyrod? Hello  2-9 season

That's the question I always ask people when they say we should get rid of Flacco.  Apparently good QBs grow on trees and some teams just choose mediocre ones.  Some guy was fired up the other day at the bar and said, "Well, the Colts were able to get Andrew Luck."  I then asked if he could stomach a 2 win season to get a number 1 pick.  No real answer.

Imagine this fanbase if the Ravens had 4 wins like the higher paid Matt Ryan and the Falcons.

#9 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:01 AM

That's the question I always ask people when they say we should get rid of Flacco.  Apparently good QBs grow on trees and some teams just choose mediocre ones.  Some guy was fired up the other day at the bar and said, "Well, the Colts were able to get Andrew Luck."  I then asked if he could stomach a 2 win season to get a number 1 pick.  No real answer.

Imagine this fanbase if the Ravens had 4 wins like the higher paid Matt Ryan and the Falcons.

If the Ravens didn't sign Flacco, Cleveland surely would have paid a huge ransom for him; they would also probably be 12-4 right now and on top of the list of Super Bowl contenders. Flacco detractors either don't watch the games and rely on just box scores, have an ax to grind, or are just ignorant. Flacco has saved the Ravens and deserves to be compensated for it. It doesn't mean he is the greatest quarterback of all time; it just means he FITS well with the Ravens. 

-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

Koch, Sam P        

$2,800,000

Now, to answer your question:

I'd say re-structure Suggs and Ngata if possible; I don't see how the Ravens keep Rice (and I'm a fan of his, but at 8.5 million and the lack of production this year, the Ravens may need to get fresh legs). Canty and Koch might also see the ax or possibly re-structure. Flacco, Webb and Yanda are going nowhere; 

-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,603 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

I never get the portion of the fan base that simply wants to throw Flacco under the bus. Is he inconsistent? Yes. He can be great or bad game to game, quarter to quarter, series to series. When he is on though, he is on. When you need a game winning drive in the last 4 minutes or OT - there are simply not many better than him in the clutch. That is just him. He is never going to be Brees, Rodgers or Peyton and put on an aesthetically pleasing 400 yd - 4 TD game week in and out. However, he wins way more than he loses, never misses a game even though he takes a beating and he has just as many Super Bowl wins and MVPs as those 3 guys. I'll take that. Who exactly would you replace him with? Brady, Brees, Peyton, Eli, Rodgers, Ben are the only other QBs in the NFL that have proven they can lead a team to a Super Bowl and they are all under contract. Joe makes an equivalent salary to all those guys. So do Stafford, Ryan, Romo, and Schaub. Cutler is going to get into that neighborhood with his contract next year as he is the only major playoff level QB on the market. That is what the market pays, and unlike all of the aforementioned - Flacco has some hardware to show for it and appears to be a solid off the field guy. He is only 27 - so barring injury - he still has a long career ahead of him and has already validated that he can get the job done if surrounded by the right team. He kind of reminds me of QBs like Phil Simms and Jim Plunkett from the 80's. Strong armed Super Bowl winning QBs that were often overshadowed by some of the glamour QBs of their era - but ended up with rings and hardware while some of their contemporaries just piled up stats.

Good, well balanced post.
Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#12 tkr

tkr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Koch, Sam P        

$2,800,000

To me these are the ones who will either restructure or be gone. I think Dumerville and Suggs have been used wrong this year and Dumerville may be gone on his own. As for McClain, who cares he is not worth the minimum. Rice I would offer half the salary with incentives for the rest. Nghata only plays on certain downs now and we have 97 now who should get paid. Look for the Ravens to get way below the Cap and make a big splash in fa. I'd say a MLB or Safety is a priority as is a Center. Don't forget we have a pretty good draft coming up for lineman Our punter has regressed and there are a lot of kickers coming out of college this year.

Edited by tkr, 28 December 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#13 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

There's no question that No.1 priority in the off season has got to be the offensive line.  It's been a disaster from the get go and hasn't gotten appreciably better either.  The issues that plagued them in the first few weeks are still rearing their ugly heads.  This team is going nowhere until they get that massive problem fixed.  From there, they can fine tune the other concerns. 

#14 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

There's no question that No.1 priority in the off season has got to be the offensive line.  It's been a disaster from the get go and hasn't gotten appreciably better either.  The issues that plagued them in the first few weeks are still rearing their ugly heads.  This team is going nowhere until they get that massive problem fixed.  From there, they can fine tune the other concerns. 

Totally agree. It's hard to assess the skill players given how horrendous the line played. 

How many times did 2 defenders get to Joe yesterday untouched.

With draft and free agency, the primary focus has to be putting together a new O line.

I'd also let Caldwell and Castillo go. There was no improvement fron game 1 to yesterday. These guys have no clue.  

Hire a new OC, focus on building a top rate O line and then see where we are.

As far as Ngata and Suggs, they're not worth the money. Either they restructure of they're gone.

Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#15 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Focusing on one side of the ball is what led to the '13 downfall. And, with this season's turnover likely to be even more dramatic than last offseason, there will be plenty of openings to go around.  Both the Dline and Oline need help and Ngata is just too dang expensive for a guy who plays part time.  Daryl Smith is a free agent as are Corey Graham and James Ihedigbo.   

IMO, the biggest mistake in 2013 was assuming the offense would improve and score enough points to offset the disruption on the defense.  Castillo was brought in to act as a catalyst but the talent on O was overrated and unable to adjust.  Whoever thought Flacco was anything other than a good system QB must have been buying from David Reed.

The true measure of Harbaugh will come in '14.  He's got a lot of work ahead and better surround himself with more than just yesmen.  Harbaugh will need to thicken his skin and deal a lot better with criticism.  And, he'll need to improve his grasp of what he's got as far as roster talent.

But let's be real here.  The Bengals would have scored 50 if either of their two stud TEs (Graham, Eifert) were playing yesterday.  I am happy for Marvin Lewis but we'll be chasing a tiger tail for a few years and '13 is a beginning, not an end.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

these are just some random thoughts.

Joe isn't going to restructure this off season. he just got that contract, he's going to cash those checks a little while longer before he goes into "what's best for the team" mode. 

Rice won't take a pay cut because he'll only be 27 next season. he'd get an equal or better offer on the open market. 

Suggs is tricky. he's outwardly confident in his abilities and usual dominance on the field. but, for all his "me, me, me" boastfulness, I also think he's a team player. 

Ngata is 30 next season, and may be slowing down. he may have a hard time getting a substantial contract as a FA. 

Koch is really connected to his community. he'll probably be flexible in working with the team. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#17 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

Koch, Sam P        

$2,800,000

I believe McClain and Canty may be gone. Only way Canty stays is if we cannot resign Art Jones. I think we will be able to renegotiate Ngata. I can see us giving Webb and Rice one more year on there current deals and if they do not live up to them they will be cut or restructured. I can also see renegotiating Suggs for another 4-5 year deal as he is just 31 and 2014 is last year of his deal.

Everyone says to trade Ngata or release him, but great interior D-lineman are hard to find in the NFL, which is why a lot are picked in the first round.

#18 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

I believe McClain and Canty may be gone. Only way Canty stays is if we cannot resign Art Jones. I think we will be able to renegotiate Ngata. I can see us giving Webb and Rice one more year on there current deals and if they do not live up to them they will be cut or restructured. I can also see renegotiating Suggs for another 4-5 year deal as he is just 31 and 2014 is last year of his deal.

Everyone says to trade Ngata or release him, but great interior D-lineman are hard to find in the NFL, which is why a lot are picked in the first round.

Ngata is making 16M and doesn't play on every down. I like Ngata and he takes up space in the middle, but that's too much cap space for a guy that rotates out.

Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#19 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,569 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Koch, Sam P        

$2,800,000

Looking at the link, I think those are the combined base salary and bonus numbers.....

I believe you are stuck with one of the numbers, not all, even if you release them.......

Forget which one exactly but it may be the bonus portion since they have been saying that getting rid of Suggs is the best think for the cap and he has the smallest bonus.

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#20 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

I am no great expert, but I can look back to last off season and recall my concerns that with the various adjustments the team was making they were doing nothing about the offensive line. Anyone with even casual experience watching football can see that without skill, size, stability, and a scheme for success of the OL, nothing good can happen. To this moment I am mystified by the Ravens' ignoring their deficiencies there. The only thing they did in the off-season was to re-sign Bryant McKinnie for left tackle and bring in A.Q. Shipley at center. And of course they added a (I think this is what he is) "Running Game Coordinator" in Juan Castillo. Things started off badly and never got better. McKinney reverted to his pre-playoff self and eventually Eugene Monroe replaced him. Kelechi Osemele was hurt and had to be replaced with Shipley. Yanda and Rice were mostly hurt, I don't know what Pierce's problem is. And what is the point of Vonta Leach? They're fortunate Joe Flacco wasn't carried off in a basket.

What I'm getting at, is they have to do something about the offensive line. KO and Yanda may heal and come back 100%, and Monroe seems worth keeping. That leaves Oher who has to be replaced by someone MUCH better. I actually don't think they should give up on Gradkowski, at least not yet, but they have to get him bigger and stronger and coach him up. That brings me to what I think is the real problem - coaches. Castillo must go. What do Andy Moeller and Todd Washington do? I guess they are not doing it; they probably need to go too. Get some people in there with a proven track record of successful offensive line building. The Ravens have other problems, sure, but this one is the key and it needs to be addressed seriously and radically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users