• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 confused fan

confused fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

Since the season is officially over, as a fan that does not coach or know as much as the football professionals, I still have just a few suggestions.

Offensive Roster Suggestions:

POSITION

WR

Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown-Convince #82 and #14 to hit the weight room and bring in a consultant that can actually make a difference to work with both during offseason-Chris Carter?

TE

Ed Dickson-Let walk, goodbye.

LT

Eugene Monroe-Offer cap friendly contract or let walk.

LG

A.Q. Shipley-Let Walk, goodbye.

C

Gino Gradkowski Let Walk, goodbye.

RG

Marshal Yanda-Let Heal, during offseason.

RT

Michael Oher-Let Walk, goodbye.

WR

Jacoby Jones-Offer cap friendly contract or let walk.

QB

Joe Flacco-Have a heart to heart talk on film study and working with receivers Torrey Smith and Marlon Brown during offseason. An unselfish Joe would bring the two smith and brown to work with while potentially working with Pitta

FB

Vonta Leach-Thanks, let walk (cut)

RB

Ray Rice-rework contract to be cap friendly, heart to heart talk on being honest about health, or trade for 4th/5th round

Tandon Doss-Cut, don’t welcome back, does not have heart of a Raven  

Dallas Clark-Thanks for services, let walk

Ricky Wagner-Coach up?

Jah Reid-Let walk

Tyrod Taylor-Convince him to go for wr/rb and if it does not work out in training camp, cut, let walk

Kyle Juszcyk-Coach up, Multiple positions?

Dennis Pitta-Sign cap friendly deal.

Ryan Jensen-Coach up?    

Deonte Thompson-Could be like Bengals- Hawkins, but is in Harbaugh dog house for unknown reason, front office should intervene on this one.

Bernard Pierce-Bring him back, be ready to cut if a  new back steps up during preseason Bernard Scott-Bring him back, be ready to cut if a  new back steps up during preseason  

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,304 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

Here's the problem with your "suggestions".

You just let go the entire line except the one guy that can't seem to stay healthy for a whole season. None of those guys are making a bunch of money. You have to keep a couple for depth.

Torrey Smith and Marlon Brown are a case of if it's working don't try to fix it

Pitta will be in demand, so he's not signing a cap friendly deal

Rice isn't restructuring, he just signed that contract

Tyrod isn't playing RB or WR, with the current configuration of the roster he'd be 5th or 6th on the depth chart at receiver and 3rd or 4th at RB. He'll make more money as a clipboard holder

Edited by bmore_ken, 30 December 2013 - 10:50 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,791 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

Well- after reading this, we are what we are and we finished where I thought. If you dump all these players...heck you don't have enough draft choices to fill the holes, much less high level ones that can contribute immediately. SO

I'll go through by position:

WR- Torrey Smith and Marlon Brown are keepers. Most everyone else can go. Jacoby Jones is inconsistent

TE- Pitta needs to stick. I'd groom Kyle Juczcyk as the 2nd TE and HBack which means Leach goes.

OT - Oher is not what we projected him to be and has been a bit of a disappointment. He doesn't stay. Monroe needs to be signed. Draft another tackle to replace Oher.

Guards- KO will be back and Yanda will as well. I have fewer concerns as AQ Shipley will likely be gone.

Center- Find an experienced center or draft a horse to play the position.

QB- Joe is Joe and without the pieces around him, he's not one to carry a team. Would be good to find an experienced backup as Tyrod is not an answer.

RB- This is the toughest part because I can't believe that Rice and Pierce are suddenly the problem or if it's the line. I think it's the line.

The draft should be interesting this year because as bad as the offense was, the "D" needs some help too! Our secondary got lit up like a xmas tree yesterday!

Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#4 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

While I agree that the majority of the team's offenses woes started with the OL, it's absurd to think the Ravens can replace everyone except Yanda; RIKMAN's solution makes more sense.

I think the team would like to keep Jacoby Jones because he is a decent 3d receiver, and because he is a very good return guy.  Based on his college reputation, Juice as another TE makes sense, and there is no way Leach is back - not his fault, but in today's offense, paying a FB big bucks makes no sense.

I really think Rice and Pierce were hampered by injuries and (of course) a just awful OL.  With so many other holes to fill, I don't think the team will make a move to replace them.

The defense obviuosly cannot stand pat (even if cap issues would allow it), but it doesn't need nearly as much help as the offense.  I'd mildly disagree with RIKMAN on the secondary; I think it's a still developing but better than decent group. 

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,304 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

.  I'd mildly disagree with RIKMAN on the secondary; I think it's a still developing but better than decent group. 

I have to disagree with that too. I think the main problem with the D is lack of a  pass rush. They showed one shot at the game on a 3rd and obvious passing down, both Dumerville and Suggs were on the sidelines. That speaks volumes. You can't forget the D picked Dalton 4 times. If the O could have turned a couple of those picks into TDs instead of FGs, we're not even having this conversation

Edited by bmore_ken, 30 December 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#6 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

I kave to disagree with that too. I think the main problem with the D is lack of a  pass rush. They showed one shot at the game on a 3rd and obvious passing down, both Dumerville and Suggs were on the sidelines. That speaks volumes. You can't forget the D picked Dalton 4 times. If the O could have turned a couple of those picks into TDs instead of FGs, we're not even having this conversation

I'm not sure they even knocked Dalton down yesterday.  During the past 6 weeks or so, there have been a lot of shots of Suggs on the sideline; yesterday was the first time I saw them both there together on passing downs, and I think it was actually two shots.

#7 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,791 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

I agree ken. Much like the o-line beign the cause of the RB troubles, secondary can't cover all day if the opposing QB gets extra time in the pocket. Our pass rush as times was non-existent.

Are the schemes out of whack? is it coaching or situational? Maybe all the movement is too much and we should get back to a more vanilla "D". I don't know but I'd like to think our "D" is better than it showed the last 2 weeks.

Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,304 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

You can't really get much better than 4 picks. Again if you turn 2 of those picks in TDs instead of FGs, it's possible we're talking about our opponent for next week and not the defense's shortcomings

Edited by bmore_ken, 30 December 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#9 Easton Raven

Easton Raven

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

One thing I agree with from the OP here is that Joe and ALL the receivers and RBs should work on timing, timing and more timing. And speed up Joe's release.  That will slow down opposing defenses quickly and give any O line an advantage IMO.

I don't disagree with bulking up the receivers some. That said, I think there is a balance to look for between bulk and speed. I noticed this year that T Smith is no longer that skinny, lanky kid...he has put on some muscle.  And M. Brown is still right outta college....at 6' 5", lets see what happens with a year of physical maturity before we try to alter him...he may grow into a beast without forcing the issue.  Really liked what we saw from Marlon Brown this year though. 

#10 ziptop

ziptop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

So you're telling me that after playing 16 games and practicing together since the middle of the summer, that the quarterback and the receivers need to get their timing together?

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,304 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

So you're telling me that after playing 16 games and practicing together since the middle of the summer, that the quarterback and the receivers need to get their timing together?

Yeah and if Joe's release hasn't been sped up after all these years it isn't going to be . Flacco is who he is, he's not a developing qb any more

Edited by bmore_ken, 02 January 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#12 Easton Raven

Easton Raven

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

My suggestion is that they work on timing routes and utilize them to a greater degree.  Joe held the ball far too long this year....hence, lots of sacks and lots of picks.  That comes down to a lot of factors but I'd like to see some work go into speeding up Flacco's release to offset the O line struggles somewhat.

How many times to Flacco chuck it up there and over throw or under throw receivers?

YES...they need to get timing down because it was awful this year as often as not...in spite of practicing since summer and having 16 weeks to get it right.

#13 Easton Raven

Easton Raven

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

Yeah and if Joe's release hasn't been sped up after all these years it isn't going . Flacco is who he is, he's not a developing qb any more

Not sure that is completely logical.  It depends a lot on "want to". Perhaps after a lousy season, his "want to" is increased. Joe seems to be a competative guy if not a vocal guy. I could see this happening.

#14 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,304 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

Not sure that is completely logical.  It depends a lot on "want to". Perhaps after a lousy season, his "want to" is increased. Joe seems to be a competative guy if not a vocal guy. I could see this happening.

I'll believe it when I see it. If this was year 2 of his career you may be onto something. I don't see Flacco changing the way he does things at this stage of his career.

#15 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

I believe it does. It took Joe nearly 3 years to click with Boldin. Last year was really the only time I saw them on the same page the entire year and you could see he trusted Bolding with every throw.

Someone mentioned working on timing routes, which is easier said then done. For example the last int Joe threw was a timing route to Smith, but Smith got bumped off of his route which resulted in the INT. There are gambles with every type of route. I think our WRs need to get better at route running. They are too high off of there breaks and in the NFL seperation is caused with getting low in your breaks which help you cut in and out faster. Torrey and Jones are not great route runners and it shows.

#16 Easton Raven

Easton Raven

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. If this was year 2 of his career you may be onto something. I don't see Flacco changing the way he does things at this stage of his career.

There is a note of "wishful thinking " in my post there.  Just trying to stay positive as opposed to griping since we are not in the playoffs.

#17 Easton Raven

Easton Raven

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

That said, I am a big believer in people finding ways to change...especially when they are uncomfortable with the status quo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users