• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,546 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

For years some fans have insisted that the league and the officials have it out for the Ravens and protect some of their darling teams such as the Pittsburgh Steelers.  The end of the KC/SD game should forever squash that silly notion.  At the end of the game, Ryan Succop the KC kicker doinked a 41 yard FG off of the upright, making him the most hated man in Pittsburgh and giving SD new life in OT.  Only one problem.  SD had 7 men on one side of the ball.  A rule instituted this year makes it illegal to overload one side of the ball with more than 6 men.  The NFL admitted today that a flag should have been thrown, the ball moved 5 yards forward and Succop given another chance.  No guarantee he would have made it, but what are the odds of a kicker missing two consecutive makeable kicks in that situation?  If that wasn't bad enough, in the Chargers tried a fake punt on 4th down at their 27.  The ball was stripped from the runner and returned for a TD before he was ever down, but the refs ruled his forward progress had been stopped while he was still moving.  Former head of officials Mike Pereira said that his forward progress was not stopped and it should have been KC's ball.  The refs may have literrally screwed Pittsburgh out of a playoff spot twice and handed it to San Diego.

Not that Pittsburgh deserves any sympathy.   They had bad losses to Tennessee, Minnesota, and Oakland early, and then with a chance to control their own destiny they lost late in the year on their own field to Miami in bad weather.  They screwed themselves out of a playoff spot more than the officials did.  In fact San Diego was the team of the last 4 alive for the final wild card spot that was the most deserving.  They at least won their last 4 games (bad calls aside) to give themselves a chance.  The other three teams all lost critical games at times when they could have controlled their own destiny.  But it doesn't change the fact that the refs seriously impacted that final playoff spot with a couple of questionable calls yesterday.  Hopefully the fact that it was so critical to someone getting in the playoffs will prompt the NFL to finally address their problematic ref situation.  Refs should not be deciding games through their calls and too often they do. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#2 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

If it had been just about any team besides the Steelers getting screwed by these calls, this board would probably be in at least a minor uproar.  Just imagine if those bad calls cost the Ravens a playoff spot!  The officiating seemed worse this year than in the past; sometimes I'm not sure the crews even understand all the damned rules. I think I finally agree that it's time for younger, full-time crews.

#3 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

That OT play where the ball was stripped just boggled my mind that they didn't even review the play. They just let it go.  Not like that was a huge play or anything!!!!

#4 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,546 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

If it had been just about any team besides the Steelers getting screwed by these calls, this board would probably be in at least a minor uproar.  Just imagine if those bad calls cost the Ravens a playoff spot!  The officiating seemed worse this year than in the past; sometimes I'm not sure the crews even understand all the damned rules. I think I finally agree that it's time for younger, full-time crews.

I was thinking the very same thing,  Imagine the outrage had the Ravens beaten Cincinnati and Miami beaten the Jets.  It would have come down to San Diego needing to lose for the Ravens to get in. 

That OT play where the ball was stripped just boggled my mind that they didn't even review the play. They just let it go.  Not like that was a huge play or anything!!!!

That's a problem with the system.  They should not only review turnovers that are called on the field, but also plays that could have resulted in a turnover but weren't because they were not called that way on the field.  It is especially critical in OT since coaches cannot challenge in OT. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#5 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

I was thinking the very same thing,  Imagine the outrage had the Ravens beaten Cincinnati and Miami beaten the Jets.  It would have come down to San Diego needing to lose for the Ravens to get in. 

That's a problem with the system.  They should not only review turnovers that are called on the field, but also plays that could have resulted in a turnover but weren't because they were not called that way on the field.  It is especially critical in OT since coaches cannot challenge in OT. 

I think the system is ok, but whomever was in the replay booth failed to initiate a review; that's their main job in the last 2 minutes and OT.  Maybe the play was not reviewable because the whistle blew?  Is an inadvertant whistle still a play stopper?

#6 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

If that wasn't bad enough, in the Chargers tried a fake punt on 4th down at their 27.  The ball was stripped from the runner and returned for a TD before he was ever down, but the refs ruled his forward progress had been stopped while he was still moving.  Former head of officials Mike Pereira said that his forward progress was not stopped and it should have been KC's ball.  The refs may have literrally screwed Pittsburgh out of a playoff spot twice and handed it to San Diego.

Not that Pittsburgh deserves any sympathy.  

The ruling on the forward progress stopped "after the runner made the first down" was what the ref said, was by far the worst call I have ever seen in my life. Not only did the refs NEVER blow the whistle, which is what they do when forward progress is stopped. They didn't blow it when the pile was moving, when KC got the ball, nor did they blow the whistle when he was running the ball into the end-zone. Then to say forward progress was stopped after the first down, made the play non-reviewable. It was almost as if the refs were doing everything in there power to help the Chargers. I was totally baffled, and for this play to not make headlines is even worse. Again, that was the worst call I have ever seen.

#7 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,558 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

Another case where a three man crew upstairs might have been able to see / notify the on-field crew of the bad alignment a few seconds after the kick went wide.  What's fascinating about that is that for some of the crew on a kick attempt... their primary initial job is to check alignment.  And they still missed it.

I'll always maintain regardless of whether the "screwed" team is one I like or one I don't... it's more important to me to get as many calls right as possible.  I get that you can't go crazy and start calling holding / PI / etc. remotely on every play.  But pre-snap issues, too many men, alignment, in / out of bounds, possession, etc. can all be monitored and often corrected in a TINY fraction of the time that the current process requires.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#8 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,789 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

For years some fans have insisted that the league and the officials have it out for the Ravens and protect some of their darling teams such as the Pittsburgh Steelers. 

And for good reason(s). One play doesn't negate years of questionable calls.

#9 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,640 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Oh well, sucks to be a steeler fan .......

btw, good series on the referees in MMQB ......

Its long but I read all 3 parts and found it quite interesting - one of the games covered is the Ravens - Bears game .........

its a tough job .....

http://mmqb.si.com/2...-with-nfl-refs/

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#10 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

I agree that the Steelers got robbed by the refs in that game but it isn't the same as them getting calls during their own games in their favor. At any rate, as much as I normally hate Pittsburgh, I would not have minded seeing them go to Cincy and play them. I think that would have been a much better game then SD going there. Afterall, Cincy already mandhandled them pretty bad a few weeks ago in SD and they are undefeated at home. That game could well be a route.

Also, does anyone know if the Ravens had beaten Cincy, would they then have had to turn around and play them again? If so, I think that could have been on their minds as an extremly daunting task to beat them twice in a row in their house.

#11 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

I agree that the Steelers got robbed by the refs in that game but it isn't the same as them getting calls during their own games in their favor. At any rate, as much as I normally hate Pittsburgh, I would not have minded seeing them go to Cincy and play them. I think that would have been a much better game then SD going there. Afterall, Cincy already mandhandled them pretty bad a few weeks ago in SD and they are undefeated at home. That game could well be a route.

Also, does anyone know if the Ravens had beaten Cincy, would they then have had to turn around and play them again? If so, I think that could have been on their minds as an extremly daunting task to beat them twice in a row in their house.

I think the Ravens would have played at Indy and Cincy would be the 4th seed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users