• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 afan

afan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

Happy New Years, maybe. The first part of a 3 part system. Caldwell, Pees (sp) and the OLine coach all gone. Wow great expectations.

http://www.prideofde...rs-jim-caldwell

#2 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,144 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:26 AM

Happy New Years, maybe. The first part of a 3 part system. Caldwell, Pees (sp) and the OLine coach all gone. Wow great expectations.

Caldwell maybe as someones head coach.  Pees has done little to warrant a head coaching job, so he would have to be fired.  I don't think he has done anything  to be fired.  Defense wasn't the real problem this year.  O-line coach, maybe.  Real problem with the Ravens being 8-8 was that they had 8-8 talent.  To correct that, bring in more talent.  Don't ask coaches to be Jesus and feed the masses with one loaf of bread and one fish.  It doesn't work that way in the NFL.  If you want to improve on 8-8, get talent that is better than 8-8.  Vegas saw it before the season when the set the Raven's over/under at 8 1/2.  They were right. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#3 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

That's a pretty dream, but come on - even the Detroit Lions could hardly be so lame as to hire for their head coach the coordinator of one of the worst offenses in the game. Caldwell did have some success as head coach with a team built around Peyton Manning, but Matt Stafford is not Peyton Manning.

#4 OsfaninCA

OsfaninCA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

If Caldwell and Castillo get hired away because of diversity...great. I think that is stupid as neither one of them deserves a promotion after last year. Yes, the Ravens were not that good but the line play (new schemes) and the play calling were AWFUL....no creativity, no nothing. Caldwell arguably regressed from Cameron which is hard to believe and Castillo did nothing to improve the line play over 16 games...that's just inexcusable.

#5 chrisbraven

chrisbraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Let's be honest.  The Lions are only doing this because of the minority clause, even though the interview will be scrutinized by the league so as to be legit.  They can legitimately say that they don't want him because of his lower qualifications and then point to the offense this year.  So while this would be the nicest way for him (and maybe Castillo as O-line coach for them!) to leave, he will probably simply have to be demoted to QB coach, Castillo fired.

Braven

#6 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,390 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Let's be honest.  The Lions are only doing this because of the minority clause, even though the interview will be scrutinized by the league so as to be legit.  They can legitimately say that they don't want him because of his lower qualifications and then point to the offense this year.  So while this would be the nicest way for him (and maybe Castillo as O-line coach for them!) to leave, he will probably simply have to be demoted to QB coach, Castillo fired.

Braven

This.

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,834 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

The defense wasn't the problem with the team this year

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#8 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Exactly - why the hell would you fire Pees?  The Defense this season was better than when they won the Super Bowl, despite the fact that they had to replace Lewis, Reed, Williams & Kruger.

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,834 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Exactly - why the hell would you fire Pees?  The Defense this season was better than when they won the Super Bowl, despite the fact that they had to replace Lewis, Reed, Williams & Kruger.

Sometimes I wonder if some people here  actually watch the games before making comments

#10 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Sometimes I wonder if some people here  actually watch the games before making comments

I'm really not sure which defense you guys were watching this year. Pass coverage was soft, penetration to the QB got worse throughout the season, we had a hard time stopping various running backs, and the defense seemed to reserve the 4th quarter in almost every game to really fall apart. Better than last year??? Not from what these eyes saw...and I watched them ALL. Pees is NOT a risk taker and that costs us games. He also does not build complexity or disguise into his schemes on a par with the best teams.

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,834 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

I'm really not sure which defense you guys were watching this year.

I'm talking about the one that allowed less points per game than 2 division winners. You know the one  that picked off Dalton 4 times on Sunday? That allowed less rushing yards per game than several current playoff teams. The one that allowed less yards per game than almost every AFC playoff team. The one that some times tired in the 4th quarter because they were on the field most of the game thanks to numerous three and outs. Did you watch any of the games?

Edited by bmore_ken, 02 January 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#12 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,604 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

I'm really not sure which defense you guys were watching this year. Pass coverage was soft, penetration to the QB got worse throughout the season, we had a hard time stopping various running backs, and the defense seemed to reserve the 4th quarter in almost every game to really fall apart. Better than last year??? Not from what these eyes saw...and I watched them ALL. Pees is NOT a risk taker and that costs us games. He also does not build complexity or disguise into his schemes on a par with the best teams.

Constant 3 and outs on offense gave the opposing teams more opportunities to pick apart the defense.

#13 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Overall, this defense was clearly better than last year's. However, you are correct that it consistently collapsed in the 4th quarter.  In large part (NOT every time), though, that may have been the result of being on the field too often, too soon after too many failed offensive series. 

#14 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,390 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Constant 3 and outs on offense gave the opposing teams more opportunities to pick apart the defense.

Not really. I checked TOP and most times it was equal, not lopsided. More to the point, there were plenty of times that the D couldn't get itself off the field.

#15 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,604 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Not really. I checked TOP and most times it was equal, not lopsided. More to the point, there were plenty of times that the D couldn't get itself off the field.

TOP doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.  How many times did the defense make a big stop only to have the offense go 3 and out and then they have to return to the field?  No matter how long a team possesses the ball, if you give the opponent 15 possessions instead of 10, chances are they will score more points.

#16 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

That's kind of a surprise, it certainly didn't "feel" that way watching the games.  But, like Ivan said, TOP doesn't tell the whole story.  Long drives are great, and they give the D time to rest, but if those drives frequently result in 0 or 3 points, the mental wear on the defense probably needs to be taken into account too.

#17 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,390 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

That's kind of a surprise, it certainly didn't "feel" that way watching the games.  But, like Ivan said, TOP doesn't tell the whole story.  Long drives are great, and they give the D time to rest, but if those drives frequently result in 0 or 3 points, the mental wear on the defense probably needs to be taken into account too.

No more than the constant stupid penalties on D that kept them on the field. Or the consistent inability to stop stack formations that went for huge gains. So just like TOP doesn't tell the whole story, neither do stats on D. So while Pees's defense wan't horrible, it was far from great either. Dumervil in pass coverage instead of rushing the passer? Really?

#18 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,084 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

If Caldwell and Castillo get hired away because of diversity...great. I think that is stupid as neither one of them deserves a promotion after last year. Yes, the Ravens were not that good but the line play (new schemes) and the play calling were AWFUL....no creativity, no nothing. Caldwell arguably regressed from Cameron which is hard to believe and Castillo did nothing to improve the line play over 16 games...that's just inexcusable.

Well said.

They started terribly and did indeed regress. And most disturbing, over 16 games there was no sign of improvement at all. The offensive coaches had no clue about how to make any progress at all.

Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#19 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,084 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

The defense wasn't the problem with the team this year

Indeed. And while the defense still needs some work, you could see some improverment as the year went on.

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#20 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,084 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

Add the turnovers that left them in terrible field position too.

Thomas Jefferson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users