Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

Bowl Games -- ACC vs BIG TEN

19 posts in this topic

ACC 5-6

Pittsburgh       (W) 30-27 Bowling Green (MAC)

Maryland         (L) 31-20 Marshall (C-USA)

Syracuse         (W) 21-17 Minnesota (BIG 10)

N. Carolina      (W) 39-17 Cincinnati (AAC)

G. Tech          (L) 25-17 Mississippi (SEC)

Miami            (L) 36-9  Louisville (AAC)

Duke             (L) 52-48 Texas A&M (SEC)

V. Tech          (L) 42-12 UCLA (PAC 12)

B. College       (L) 42-19 Arizona (PAC 12)

Florida St.      (W) 34-31 Auburn (SEC)

Clemson          (W) 40-35 Ohio State (BIG 10)

BIG TEN 2-5

Minnesota        (L) 21-17 Syracuse (ACC)

Michigan         (L) 31-14 Kansas State  (Big 12)

Ohio St.         (L) 40-35 Clemson (ACC)

Michigan St.     (W) 24-20 Stanford (PAC 12)

Wisconsin        (L) 34-24 South Carolina (SEC)

Iowa             (L) 21-14 LSU (SEC)

Nebraska         (W) 24-19 Georgia (SEC)

Edited by Rob

Other than head-to-head, meaningless to compare bowl records between conferences. Syracuse-Minny was a fair comparison, although Syracuse is a ACC team in name only. The ink isn't even dry on their new deal.

Game last night was fantastic. Looked like Duke was gonna run away with it, but Johny Football was super special in the second half. great come back for Mr Football (and his defensive squad).

I'd say the Pac12 and SEC are the two best conferences. I don't hold out much hope for Nebraska, Iowa or MSU winning today. Iowa should not be playing LSU, Good God, they're gonna get rolled up. Would love to see Wisconsin beat South Carolina - longshot - but I'm not counting them out.

Conference records are all about pairings/tie-ins with various bowls. Sometimes you get an unranked team playing a ranked team....or a highly ranked team playing a lowly ranked team. It just depends on the tie-in agreements that a conference has with these bowls.

Edited by slapshot

lot more bowl games with mediocre teams on the ACC side .........

They can't have a football playoff system, soon enough for me. I hope, in the coming years, it willbe expanded to 8 or more.

As far as the big ten games today, no big surprises. I thought unranked Iowa did a much better job against a ranked LSU team than I thought they would. Unranked Nebraska beating a ranked Georgia was a bit of a surprise, and Wisconsin losing to South Carolina by 10 was about how I thought it would turn out. Wisconsin had a chance at the end, but two picks by the Wisconsin QB sealed their fate.

Gonna be tough for MSU to beat Stanford. Not a believer in Sparty, and think they are WAY over-rated.

Edited by slapshot

Has the Pac12 lost any bowl games? I can't think of any.

I think the Pac12 can rival the SEC.

Edited by slapshot

Ok, I'll eat my words about not believing in MSU.

Great win, Sparty!

Has the Pac12 lost any bowl games? I can't think of any.

I think the Pac12 can rival the SEC.

Colorado St. beat Washington St.

Texas Tech beat Arizona St

Michigan St beat Stanford

Colorado St. beat Washington St.

Texas Tech beat Arizona St

Michigan St beat Stanford

Get out of here....MSU beat Stanford?! Unbelievable.

B1G and ACC, I believe will become huge rivals in the future with both Basketball & Football. PAC 12 & SEC look like good rivals as well. You can definitely see the writings on the wall for the four super conference setup.

B1G and ACC, I believe will become huge rivals in the future with both Basketball & Football. PAC 12 & SEC look like good rivals as well. You can definitely see the writings on the wall for the four super conference setup.[/size]

Interesting observation. I think you might be right.

In what regards?

Clemson over Ohio

FSU over Auburn (SEC)

Very impressive from the ACC

Clemson over Ohio

FSU over Auburn (SEC)

Very impressive from the ACC

True, although not clear it's "check mate". Only one year. When it becomes an annual event, like it is with the SEC, let me know. I am glad, however, that somebody other than the SEC won the NC. About time.

Absolutely no OSU fan here, but OSU lost to Clemson because of Braxton's bum shoulder. Second or 3rd play of the game. He should have been taken out at the half, if not sooner. OSU has a quality backup QB. Despite all that, OSU was still in the dominate position to win the game with their last drive, and less than 2 minutes remaining in the game. But they didn't, with Braxton's interception (again). While I admire Braxton for pushing through the pain, I think Myer should have put the team first, and played the backup. IMO, that loss is on the OSU coach.

Edited by slapshot

True, although not clear it's "check mate". Only one year. When it becomes an annual event, like it is with the SEC, let me know. I am glad, however, that somebody other than the SEC won the NC. About time.

Absolutely no OSU fan here, but OSU lost to Clemson because of Braxton's bum shoulder. Second or 3rd play of the game. He should have been taken out at the half, if not sooner. OSU has a quality backup QB. Despite all that, OSU was still in the dominate position to win the game with their last drive, and less than 2 minutes remaining in the game. But they didn't, with Braxton's interception (again). While I admire Braxton for pushing through the pain, I think Myer should have put the team first, and played the backup. IMO, that loss is on the OSU coach.

Putting up 35 points is nothing to scuff at. The offense was not the major issue.

Putting up 35 points is nothing to scuff at. The offense was not the major issue.

Actually, against (maybe) the best defense in the country, MSU, OSU put up 24 pts....so, 35 against a much weaker D is under-performing. OSU pretty much averaged 45+ pts most of the season.

That said, the problem, per Braxton's own comments, was not his throwing, but his running:

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/01/ohio_state_qb_braxton_miller_h.html

"“I think it just affected my running,” Miller said. “Throwing wise it was cool.”

But it was never right."

“I don't know what happened,” Miller said of the first hit. “I landed on my elbow, but it shot right up to my shoulder. It was hurting real bad.”

So, I did some checking. Against MSU, arguably one of the best defense in the country, Braxton ran for 142 yards, himself. Against Clemson, Braxton ran for a paltry (a season low) of only 35 yards, and 33 of those were in one run. And sure enough, his yds passing were close to par.

His inability to perform like he always did, as an effective scrambling QB, changed the offense for OSU. No doubt about it.

Edited by slapshot

Here's an interesting factoid:

Since the 2000 season, ACC teams have played Big Ten teams a total of 37 times (this includes all regular season games and post-season bowl games, through and including this year).

The Big Ten has won 21 times, or 56% of the time.

Here's an interesting factoid:

Since the 2000 season, ACC teams have played Big Ten teams a total of 37 times (this includes all regular season games and post-season bowl games, through and including this year).

The Big Ten has won 21 times, or 56% of the time.

If the ACC can keep Miami, FSU and Clemson they will be a strong contender as a football power conference. Good additions of Pitt and Louisville and a good drop of the Terps from the conference (football wise), they have solid foundation for the future.

If the ACC can keep Miami, FSU and Clemson they will be a strong contender as a football power conference. Good additions of Pitt and Louisville and a good drop of the Terps from the conference (football wise), they have solid foundation for the future.

No disagreement with FSU and Miami, but Clemson are, historically, a paper tiger in bowl games. Just like VaTech. They've been on a run the last two years.

Since the BCS era, Clemson has been in 15 bowl games. They've won 6. Their wins include: Lousiana Tech, Tenn, Kentucky, Colorado, and culminating with close wins over LSU (last year) and OSU. Lost to South Florida in 2010, and thoroughly trounced by West Virginia in 2011. We'll see if they can sustain their current run when their current crop moves on....

Sustainability at a top 10 level ain't easy.