• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

Johnny Unitas.... Ray Berry would say on many reports Unitas was a great leader and took over a game. That it was not how well he did but what he did to get to be great. Berry would mention how Johnny U would stay after many practices and throw passes on timing routes to him. This not only made Unitas great but also Berry, who was slow at best but deadly on pass routes.

Bart Star... This man was told by the great Lombardi that he would never throw the ball over 50 yards in any game. That he should practice the short passes and stay with that. In the end Starr was not a great threat to throw long but did do endless work in perfecting the short game.

Joe Montana.... Told by many he was to skinny. Had sticks for legs and should never run the ball. Well he was deadly out of the pocket. He would practice for hours how to escape the rush and look at all times for a receiver who was moving towards him. The catch was the most recognizable throw he ever made but Clark said they would practice that route endlessly.

I could go on but there is one common denominator in every remark made by former wr's and players who played with these great QB's. They all would practice endlessly with their fellow receivers after practice or in the off season. I am just curious as to how much time Joe Flacco has spent after practice with any of his receivers. I would guess every now and than but not endlessly like the greats have done.

Lastly I look at the sidelines at Manning and Brady and even Lap today in the SF/GB game. They all studied pictures of the defenses being done against them during the game. Manning does it all game long , I wonder how many times Joe does it in a game. Oh yes we see him on the phone every once in awhile but rarely do we see him study pictures. Even Ben uses this as a means to study a teams defense. 

If Joe Flacco wants to be great he needs to put the time in is what I'm saying. You fans out there will all come to his defense but history and observation of the great ones tells us , if a NFL player wants to be great they have to take the steps to be great to make it. Joe take that step.... One SB is good, the MVP award is nice but in order to be great you need to continue to be the best you can be.

#2 dillonroche

dillonroche

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:20 AM

joe needn't worry bout being " great " he just needs to keep winning  as he has done since he arrived here . last week some of the talking heads put a stat sheet on tv showing the QB's with most interceptions since 2008 . flacco's name wasn't there !!!! brady , both mannings , brees , romo , rodgers , were !!! do we want great , or efficient ????

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,806 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

if a NFL player wants to be great they have to take the steps to be great to make it. Joe take that step.... One SB is good, the MVP award is nice but in order to be great you need to continue to be the best you can be.

Joe steal your girl or something?

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#4 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

http://sportslistoft...he-merger-1970/

MOST INTERCEPTIONS, PAST 5 SEASONS

QUARTERBACK INT FROM 2008   TO 2013:  Eli Manning  95  Drew Brees  87  Jay Cutler  87  Carson Palmer  76  Ryan Fitzpatrick  75  Philip Rivers  73  Mark Sanchez  69  2009  2013  Josh Freeman  66  2009  2013  Joe Flacco  64  10  Matt Schaub  64  11  Matt Hasselbeck  63  12  Matt Ryan  63 

Edited by Struds, 06 January 2014 - 12:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users