• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 afan

afan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

Can you tell me where they have gone. They wrote a lot of Sports stories and always told it right. Yes my good friends are sorely gone,

Two of Baltimores finest sportswriters. John Steadman and Neil Eskridge. Would it not be great to read their columns again. Now add to that Chuck Thompson and ain't the beer cold.

Yes my friends sports writers today can't hold a pencil to any of these greats.

Close your eyes and listen. I can still hear the bases are F.O.B. and Amechi up the middle

#2 dillonroche

dillonroche

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

and i can hear " go to war miss agnes " . and then there was chawee eckman and fatso with their tv show " mayhem on 33rd street  " , the funniest colts pregame show ever thunk up !!!

#3 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

Charlie Eckman on Benny Ayala..

"They should hide his glove."

My favorite.."He should call 2 cabs..one for him and one for his glove!"

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#4 aok

aok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

I was a young girl and heard both John Steadman and Charlie Eckman as speakers. Steadman was great as he spoke to the kids in a way that they could relate to. Eckman I heard at a pageant I think it was for Junior Miss of Md. He was not very nice and told off color jokes. As for Thompson , I only remember O'Donnell but I do remember reading Eskridge he was great to read.

#5 ziptop

ziptop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Charlie Eckman on Benny Ayala..

"They should hide his glove."

My favorite.."He should call 2 cabs..one for him and one for his glove!"

I thought he said he should have worn a helmet. I think Carlos Lopez too. I had Charlie Eckman on the night on WFBR when they pulled the plug on him. Literally. One second he was there, the next he was gone, just silence, for quite a while. I called in the next day and they said, "Oh Charlie's on vacation". As I remember, his offense was using the word "***" on the air. It was a different time. In this respect better? Yes. Now the talk show hosts and "broadcasters" love to use the word. They think it's just great and has no negative value, but it does. Charlie was a lot of fun. His advice for Lefty: "get on a bus get out of town". 

#6 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,818 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

I don't know if Steadman would cut it with todays Ravens fans, at least not some who are here.  Steadman was the ultimate no-favoritism guy.  He didn't have a homer bone in his body.  If it was good, he would write it that way, but when it was bad, he would nail it.  Bob Irsay hated him because he was constantly calling him out in his columns for the buffoon that he was.  Steadman pulled no punches.  He wrote it like it was.  But then if he were alive today writing about football it is likely he wouldn't have many kind words for what the game has become.  It is a mere shell of the game he was used to covering. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users