• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

With Wilson, Kapernick & Newton (RG3 replacement 2014) still having success, do you guys think their styles can possibliy be sucessful long term? Can you imagine if Randall Cunningham  played in this era. 49ers kind of remind of those late 80's & 90"s team with a great defense, strong wide outs, good tight end & an out of control (but effective) head coach.

#2 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

With Wilson, Kapernick & Newton (RG3 replacement 2014) still having success, do you guys think their styles can possibliy be sucessful long term? Can you imagine if Randall Cunningham  played in this era. 49ers kind of remind of those late 80's & 90"s team with a great defense, strong wide outs, good tight end & an out of control (but effective) head coach.

no reason to think they can't. they've been successful so far. randall c. was ahead of his time, meaning, in his time, running QBs (as differentiated from scrambling QBs), were an anomaly. they were discouraged to run, expected to stay in the pocket because that was the traditional thinking. it took the league a while to accept that running QBs added a dynamic & exciting new dimension to the game. the position was evolving, and we are at the point now where running QBs are as effective with their arms & their brains as they are with their legs. "can their styles possibly be successful long term"? evolution is all about adapting to environmental change. defenses -- struggling now to adapt -- will get better dealing with the new offensive paradigm, but the trend is clear. running QBs are here to stay.

#3 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

I also think the Payton Brady aspect has kept the AFC from taking on the style. Payton literally destroyed Tebow's career lol, even thou it was destined to happen

Edited by Navypost, 06 January 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#4 codefool

codefool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Who knows but if they stick will this help stem the tide of roughing the passer calls if quaterbacks start playing read option more?  If there's anything that's been an eyeroller for me this year has been roughing the passer for a hand on the helmet.

#5 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

Who knows but if they stick will this help stem the tide of roughing the passer calls if quaterbacks start playing read option more?  If there's anything that's been an eyeroller for me this year has been roughing the passer for a hand on the helmet.

If only Johnny Unitas could have played with the rules being what they are today.  It's a wonderful time to be a quarterback, that's for sure.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

here are 2 points that make me think it's more of an anomaly than an evolution.

1) These are young QBs at the very beginning of their careers. Age and repeated hits will slow them down. 

2) These young guys aren't making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ yet. as soon as they get their big contracts, the owner and FO will become more conservative about having their major investments charging out into the line of fire.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,405 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

3) Defenses adjust (except for Green Bay).

#8 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

here are 2 points that make me think it's more of an anomaly than an evolution.

1) These are young QBs at the very beginning of their careers. Age and repeated hits will slow them down. 

2) These young guys aren't making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ yet. as soon as they get their big contracts, the owner and FO will become more conservative about having their major investments charging out into the line of fire.  

Shelf life can max out at five to eight years I thnik. But if the winning comes and you keep drafting successors every five to rights, Hey it's better than playing QB in the Arena leg for 10 yrs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users