Eastside Terp

PSU gets Franklin and we're stuck with Edsall

205 posts in this topic

These top maryland recruits can play at UMD in a half empty stadium or play in front of 100,000 fans in Happy Valley.   Heck we have more fans in our parking lots tailgating the game than you have in the seats at Maryland. 

PSU is going to basically have an extra home game every other year because I have a feeling every game we play at Maryland will have a majority of PSU fans. 

Pedo State still has two more years on it's post-season ban. I would think that will have some impact on recruiting?

Finally, and like many coaches that are successful at a high profile college program, end up using that position to jump to the NFL. Not saying Franklin will jump....but, if he does, it won't surprise me in the least.

Christine Brennan (born May 14, 1958, in Toledo, Ohio) is an American sports columnist, TV and radio commentator, best-selling author, and nationally-known speaker. She is especially known for her coverage of the Olympics and has written three books on the subject of figure skating: the best-selling Inside Edge (1996), Edge of Glory (1998), and Champions on Ice (2002).

So a figure skating expert and Northwestern Grad/Fan doesn't want him at Penn State?

Penny ante terrapin club members...when are you finally going to understand you are small time and the ath. Dept and admin don't listen to you? Under Armor...now they move the needle.

Going to stroll down to Duke and hop on their hoops bandwagon? Wouldn't be any more ridiculous than becoming a penn st football fan.

duck and dodge .......

your evasion to a direct questions and personal attacks makes it clear you have done nothing to support the school or its sports programs ......

Christine Brennan covered the Washington Redskins for the Washington Post during the Joe Gibbs era.

Christine Brennan covered the Washington Redskins for the Washington Post during the Joe Gibbs era.

That must have been awful.  

That must have been awful.  

Not as bad as being an underprivileged boy in State College when Joe Paterno was pretending not to see his friend and long time coordinator rythmically slap young boys in the shower...You Are...Penn State!

Or not as bad as being that Vanderbuild girl Franklin's players had their way with. 

Edited by Brohan

Edsall has taken a team to BCS.

Edited by Brohan

Did Edsel win?

Funny, I did not hear any buzz about teams or the NFL wanting Edsel.

Vandy finished the season winning on a Saturday bowl game. On ESPN. A game that people watched.

And they ended up winning. And ranked in the top 25. With a coach that people wanted to hire.

Face it. Anderson picked the wrong horse.

Yet somehow little programs like Florida State, Duke, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan State, Oregon, & Missouri all did it with non minority head coaches.

What minority were you thinking?  Asian? Native American?

They have the advantage of being Ohio State, Duke, FSU and Oregon(Nike U).

Baltimore to this day still  has somewhat of a blockade on UMCP. DC area kids have GTOWN, GW and now recently Mason for basketball, VA tech & PSU for Football , which is on another planet when it comes to their sports program support compared to UMCP.

Edited by Navypost

So Asian?  Like maybe a Hindu Indian?

So Asian?  Like maybe a Hindu Indian?

Sure, at least the graduation rate would explode through the roof,

Norm Chow & Ken Niumatalolo would be good considerations

At least Maryland isn't as bad as UMass whose AD hired this week their former HC, Mark Whipple, who was unemployed this past football season. And, believe it or not, the fans are happy with the hire. Of course, he coached UMass when it played in Division 1-AA and was generally successful on the field. The transition to BCS hasn't been smooth, and the faculty is rebelling about funds being diverted from academics. LOL!!!

Sure, at least the graduation rate would explode through the roof,

Norm Chow & Ken Niumatalolo would be good considerations

LOL.  I don't know much about Chow but I doubt he has much of an east coast recruiting net work.  But if you think Niumatalolo would stoop to coaching Maryland you are just nuts.

LOL. I don't know much about Chow but I doubt he has much of an east coast recruiting net work. But if you think Niumatalolo would stoop to coaching Maryland you are just nuts.

Well his daughter played on the Terps' lacrosse team, but you are right he wouldn't take chance.

Edited by Navypost

I did not know that.  They have one hell of a team.  Good for them.  

Is it a done deal? ESPN is simply reporting he is "likely to take the PSU job".

That said, if he does a great job, after X number of years, he'll get the call from some NFL team.

I think he was already in the NFL as one of the youngest position coaches with the Packers.

I meant as head coach, much like the guy he's replacing.

By the way - love the avatar.

Maryland should offer a position to Larry Johnson, the Penn State defensive line coach line coach who Is regarded as one of the best recruiters in college football. He's from southern Maryland and is angry that he wasn't seriously considered for the Penn State HC position.

Johnson was offered to stay by Franklin but he declined. Rumor is that he'll be joining Urban Meyer's staff at Ohio St

Well Franklin has beaten more ranked teams than Edsal.

You sure about that? Even if true, those teams were likely only ranked at the time they played Vandy considering he only beat 4 FBS teams that ended the season with winning records in 3 years at Vandy.

Johnson was offered to stay by Franklin but he declined. Rumor is that he'll be joining Urban Meyer's staff at Ohio St

Well, we know that weirdo Franklin's criteria for hiring an assistant coach is the attractiveness of his wife. Mrs. Johnson must have failed Franklin's oggle, eyeball test.

franklins bizarre personality won't play well up in Mayberry, PA. He will back to being a losy offensives coordinator in 3 years.

Seems like only yesterday Terps fans were whining about his lousy play calling.