Eastside Terp

PSU gets Franklin and we're stuck with Edsall

205 posts in this topic

Is Temple better then Bowling Green?

Temple BG would be a good game.

Penn St Md will be a close contest too most likely. Pretty pathetic for an alleged football school with a great coach, a likely no. 1 overall pick in the draft QB and a ton of talent.

And don't worry, Randy will be gone after this year.

Will Franklin survive?

If he sucks I hope they keep Franklin forever

Edited by demopublican

We paid Franklin big money as head coach in waiting and then let him get away .....

He's turning around another program ......

We paid Franklin big money as head coach in waiting and then let him get away .....

He's turning around another program ......

With their schedule Gerry Sandusky could rhythmically slap them to 7 wins.....they are pretty sorry considering who their qb is and how many supposedly good recruits they get. MD could easily beat them .... Again.

Thought it worth mentioning that Franklin's Penn State team got thumped by OSU....worse thumping than Edsall's Maryland.

Edited by slapshot

Thought it worth mentioning that Franklin's Penn State team got thumped by OSU....worse thumping than Edsall's Maryland.

Not really, they were inside the 10 yard line with a shot to make it a 7 point game in the 4th quarter .....

We were tied at halftime but it was never really a game late ......

That true freshman was wide open for the touchdown on 4th down ......

Qb could barely walk with knee brace on and the announcer said repeatly they are the youngest team in the big 10 .....

They are just getting back to full scholarships from the well deserved sanctions ......

Their future is a lot brighter than ours especially after we wasted 5 years with edsall......

I was watching the game with both osu and psu alum and I wanted to say we did better against them but really couldn't .....

I hope like hell we bear them here next week but even if we do it doesn't change my opinion that we should have hired Franklin instead of edsall when we fired Ralph ....

Edited by Eastside Terp

But as coach Franklin says, Hackenberg is great in practice. Hard to believe how god awful Penn State is with a qb projected to be the number one pick in the draft.

Not really, they were inside the 10 yard line with a shot to make it a 7 point game in the 4th quarter .....

Qb could barely walk with knee brace on and the announcer said repeatly they are the youngest team in the big 10 .....

They are just getting back to full scholarships from the well deserved sanctions ......

Their future is a lot brighter than ours especially after we wasted 5 years with edsall......

I was watching the game with both osu and psu alum and I wanted to say we did better against them but really couldn't .....

I hope like hell we bear them here next week but even if we do it doesn't change my opinion that we should have hired Franklin instead of edsall when we fired Ralph ....

That's why they play a full 4 quarters.

The score doesn't lie, 38-10. 28pt margin is getting thumped, in most people's books. But of course, people will see what they want to see. Yea, it was close. LOL.

psu scored only one TD all game. One.

Maryland scored a TD in every quarter.

In the end, both are a L.

Point being - Not comparing Edsall to Franklin. But for those longing for Frankin @Maryland....it's clear to me, at least, he would not have been the answer.

Edited by slapshot

That's why they play a full 4 quarters.

The score doesn't lie, 38-10. 28pt margin is getting thumped, in most people's books. But of course, people will see what they want to see. Yea, it was close. LOL.

psu scored only one TD all game. One.

Maryland scored a TD in every quarter.

In the end, both are a L.

Point being - Not comparing Edsall to Franklin. But for those longing for Frankin @Maryland....it's clear to me, at least, he would not have been the answer.

You are the one that tried to play the this loss wasn't as bad as that loss game .....

I agree we have no idea what terp world would look like today but I believe we wouldn't be starting over from such a low point ......

It's hard to argue that their program is not heading in right direction coming off well deserved sanctions while our program is a mess, looking for a coach and starting over again ....

I think you checked all the excuse boxes. You would make a great redskins fan.

Only thing you forgot is they didn't get to wear their favorite dark jerseys and didn't get to play at home.

You are the one that tried to play the this loss wasn't as bad as that loss game .....

Psu got thumped, at least as bad as Md - based on the score. Everything else you said is spin.

I agree we have no idea what terp world would look like today but I believe we wouldn't be starting over from such a low point ......

All teams go through it. That said, Md went to a bowl game last year....so not as "low" as it could be.

It's hard to argue that their program is not heading in right direction coming off well deserved sanctions while our program is a mess, looking for a coach and starting over again ....

Given who they are, I don't see they're headed upward (in a big way), anytime soon. But we'll see?

By the way, are you a PSU fan? You sound like one.

Edited by slapshot

You two love to accuse people of being Penn State fans.  W

You two love to accuse people of being Penn State fans.  W

Simple question.

I suppose this Maryland alum is a Penn State fan as well, as I'm convinced the Terps would be in much better position today if Franklin had been the coach as opposed to Edsall. As Eastside noted, Penn State is coming off sanctions (and one could fairly argue that they got off WAY too easy) and appears to be on the rise, while Maryland is back to square one. From the very start, Edsall was an uninspired choice. But again, my major gripe is with Anderson, the moron who made that hire in the first place.

And please don't hold up a bowl game appearance as some major achievement. For those keeping score, there are 40 bowls out there.

You two love to accuse people of being Penn State fans. W

You two love to make excuses for that mediocre program that fancies itself a football power house. Not to mention it's scrub coach. Are you a Terralion or maybe a NIttnypin?

You off the Madison bandwagon for good?

Edited by Brohan

A. I don't make any excuses for Penn State.

B. I don't root for Penn State.

C. I have no idea what the Madison reference is about.

D. You should root FOR teams and not against teams. It's more fun and less negative.

I suppose this Maryland alum is a Penn State fan as well, as I'm convinced the Terps would be in much better position today if Franklin had been the coach as opposed to Edsall.

Perhaps? We'll never know. But I guess it makes for good sports forum fader.

As Eastside noted, Penn State is coming off sanctions (and one could fairly argue that they got off WAY too easy) and appears to be on the rise....

One could say they got off too easy. Duh, it was a freekin joke. I've been to PSU many, many times, and especially during the Paterno era, I thought the football culture was extreme, and over the top. It was no wonder that this scandal happened, and was later covered up by some of their top people. Utterly shameful. To this day, I have zero respect for that institution. None.

Some of the facts, with regards to any perceived "rise" (ie, far too early to tell):

- As a "reference point", Bill O'Brien during his first year at PSU (and before the scholarship cuts had taken affect), led PSU to a 8-4 record in 2012.

- The worst scholarship reduction for PSU was for the 2013 season under Bill O'Brien. He had 67 scholarship positions (down from the max of 85). That year, PSU went 7-5, but was bared from going to a bowl game.

- By early 2014, the NCAA had lifted the bowl ban, and restored most of the scholarship positions, so, when Franklin arrived in his first year, he had 75 scholarship positions and no bowl ban. That was for the 2014 season. Franklin went 7-6 that season.

- Currently, PSU sits at 5-2, with 2 more wins as locks (Maryland and Illinois), one possibility, Northwestern could go either way, and probably 2 loses (I hope) - Michigan and MSU. So, depending on the outcome of the Northwestern game, and no major surprises, PSU with nearly all their scholarships back....could end up at 7-5 (Northwestern loss) or 8-4 (northwestern win. An 8-4 basically gets them back to where they were, pre-pedophile sanctions. They were 9-3 in 2011.

The bottom line...returning to 7-5 or even 8-4 is pretty much around where PSU normally finds themselves....Franklin, or no Franklin.

Oh, and anybody that expects Maryland to be up there with PSU (football wise) - on a consistent basis - is utterly delusional. Be happy with the basketball program. PSU's basketball has been the perennial doormat of the BiG since they joined in 1990.

while Maryland is back to square one. From the very start, Edsall was an uninspired choice. But again, my major gripe is with Anderson, the moron who made that hire in the first place.

If I believe what I read from Anderson, one of the reasons to hire Edsall had to do with $$$ constraints. I guess you get what you pay for?

Edited by slapshot

Slapshot, I don't expect MD football to ever reach great prominence, given its history as a basketball school and inclusion into one of the toughest divsions in one of the toughest football conferences around. That being noted, I believe the Terps can ultimately be a team that at least scratches the Top 25 from time to time. The best parallel to me in the Big 10 might be Iowa. In other words, I think they are certainly capable of more than what Edsall has brought them.

And speaking of Edsall and those referenced $$ constraints with his hire, how in the world would Anderson offer that original six year contract with no buyout? My mind boggles.

Looking to the future, I'm hoping for a Pelini hire, with Reich as Plan B. Unlike alot of other candidates floating out there, Pelini has coached and won in a Power 5 conference. With regads to Reich, I like the idea of a MD alum returning to his school. Worked out pretty well with Gary and to a less extent, Ralph.

Slapshot, I don't expect MD football to ever reach great prominence, given its history as a basketball school and inclusion into one of the toughest divsions in one of the toughest football conferences around. That being noted, I believe the Terps can ultimately be a team that at least scratches the Top 25 from time to time.

We are in complete agreement on this, and I think they will, from time to time, compete very well in the BiG.

The best parallel to me in the Big 10 might be Iowa. In other words, I think they are certainly capable of more than what Edsall has brought them.

Again, we agree.

Neither a Edsall, nor a Franklin supporter/hater. I was, however, a Fridge guy. I was very upset the way Anderson dismissed him.

And speaking of Edsall and those referenced $$ constraints with his hire, how in the world would Anderson offer that original six year contract with no buyout? My mind boggles.

I'm have the same discussion on another forum....I honestly don't get some of these conracts...ie, big money and long term...for who? Someone who's only demonstrated marginal success? Mind boggling, indeed.

Looking to the future, I'm hoping for a Pelini hire, with Reich as Plan B. Unlike alot of other candidates floating out there, Pelini has coached and won in a Power 5 conference. With regads to Reich, I like the idea of a MD alum returning to his school. Worked out pretty well with Gary and to a less extent, Ralph.

I like Pelini, a lot. He's pretty outspoken, so the UMd aDMIN WOULD HAVE TO CHILL OUT AND LET HIM RUN THINGS THE WAY HE WANTS...

Edited by slapshot

Perhaps? We'll never know. But I guess it makes for good sports forum fader.

One could say they got off too easy. Duh, it was a freekin joke. I've been to PSU many, many times, and especially during the Paterno era, I thought the football culture was extreme, and over the top. It was no wonder that this scandal happened, and was later covered up by some of their top people. Utterly shameful. To this day, I have zero respect for that institution. None.

Some of the facts, with regards to any perceived "rise" (ie, far too early to tell):

- As a "reference point", Bill O'Brien during his first year at PSU (and before the scholarship cuts had taken affect), led PSU to a 8-4 record in 2012.

- The worst scholarship reduction for PSU was for the 2013 season under Bill O'Brien. He had 67 scholarship positions (down from the max of 85). That year, PSU went 7-5, but was bared from going to a bowl game.

- By early 2014, the NCAA had lifted the bowl ban, and restored most of the scholarship positions, so, when Franklin arrived in his first year, he had 75 scholarship positions and no bowl ban. That was for the 2014 season. Franklin went 7-6 that season.

- Currently, PSU sits at 5-2, with 2 more wins as locks (Maryland and Illinois), one possibility, Northwestern could go either way, and probably 2 loses (I hope) - Michigan and MSU. So, depending on the outcome of the Northwestern game, and no major surprises, PSU with nearly all their scholarships back....could end up at 7-5 (Northwestern loss) or 8-4 (northwestern win. An 8-4 basically gets them back to where they were, pre-pedophile sanctions. They were 9-3 in 2011.

The bottom line...returning to 7-5 or even 8-4 is pretty much around where PSU normally finds themselves....Franklin, or no Franklin.

Oh, and anybody that expects Maryland to be up there with PSU (football wise) - on a consistent basis - is utterly delusional. Be happy with the basketball program. PSU's basketball has been the perennial doormat of the BiG since they joined in 1990.

If I believe what I read from Anderson, one of the reasons to hire Edsall had to do with $$$ constraints. I guess you get what you pay for?

They had less than 40 scholarship players on the team the terps beat last year ....

They had less than 40 scholarship players on the team the terps beat last year ....

You never run out of excuses...see the Pitt coach trolling Franklin today? Pretty funny.

By this account, 75 total players on scholarship for the 2014 season. At least that's what was allowed by the NCAA.

http://jimspennstatefootball.webs.com/PSUschols.htm

The lowest number, at anytime during the NCAA sanction period, was 65:  http://www.ncaa.com/content/penn-state-conclusions

That said, some players may have red shirted, but don't know the number, and don't care. That's PSU's choice if they want to red shirt a player. But they were allowed 75.

In 2013, PSU had 63 scholarship players, and just prior to the start of the 2014 season, were reported to have 67 scholarship players.

As reported by on philly.com, for 15 October 2014: Numbers released Wednesday by the football program showed that 69 scholarship players.

Edited by slapshot