Eastside Terp

PSU gets Franklin and we're stuck with Edsall

210 posts in this topic

By this account, 75 total players on scholarship for the 2014 season. At least that's what was allowed by the NCAA.

http://jimspennstatefootball.webs.com/PSUschols.htm

The lowest number, at anytime during the NCAA sanction period, was 65: http://www.ncaa.com/content/penn-state-conclusions

That said, some players may have red shirted, but don't know the number, and don't care. That's PSU's choice if they want to red shirt a player. But they were allowed 75.

In 2013, PSU had 63 scholarship players, and just prior to the start of the 2014 season, were reported to have 67 scholarship players.

As reported by on philly.com, for 15 October 2014: Numbers released Wednesday by the football program showed that 69 scholarship players.

To quote Rick Perry...oops.

Nope, not all .....

I was off slightlt, they had 45 active scholarship players for the game against the terps last year ......

They are the youngest team in the big 10 this year .....

Hope the terps beat them tommorrow but no denying the programs are heading in different directions .....

Speaking of oops .....

Love how jaz, opps, Brohan posted how bad turg and the bball program was and how edsall was taking us to the promised land :) ....

Nope, not all .....

I was off slightlt, they had 45 active scholarship players for the game against the terps last year ......

They are the youngest team in the big 10 this year .....

Hope the terps beat them tommorrow but no denying the programs are heading in different directions .....

Speaking of oops .....

Love how jaz, opps, Brohan posted how bad turg and the bball program was and how edsall was taking us to the promised land :) ....

Since you didn't provide a link, I looked it up. The number for the Maryland game is: "46 recruited scholarship players". The key word is "recruited". 5 walk on's received scholarships. So, total of "scholarship" players for the Md game was 51. More than enough. But the bigger issue would be....what's the quality, or the player ranking for the recruited starting PSU players, compared to Maryland starters? If their starters are better than our starters, who cares how many extras they have warming the bench?

As I said, they were allowed 75. According to the Philly paper, the school reported 69 scholarship players, as of 15 October 2014. They played Maryland 2 weeks later, on November 1st, or just two weeks after reporting 69 players on scholarship. All public facts.

Whatever red shirting games that Franklin played is on him. If he wanted to concede the game to Maryland, well, also on him.

Edited by slapshot

I provided links last year when we discussed ......

Not going to keep going around and around with you guys ......

The fact is, despite what you and Brohan want to say, edsall was a bad hire from day one .....

I provided links last year when we discussed ......

Not going to keep going around and around with you guys ......

The fact is, despite what you and Brohan want to say, edsall was a bad hire from day one .....

That's opinion. Might be true, might not. Don't know, and don't really care. Not my concern. Not my point.

But the one relevant fact: Edsall beat Franklin's team @PSU no less. Spin all you want.... In the only thing that matters in head-to-head comparisons:

Edsall - 1

Franklin - 0

I guess we'll never know how this story would have played out...

Absolute numbers of scholarship players mean very little in a single game, as most never see a minute of game time. The issue is, were their starters > than our starters?

Edited by slapshot

I can't stand watching Perry Hills play QB.  Could care less about his run game, he's a terrible QB when it comes to being an actual QB.

Maryland's pathetic QB situation is Edsall's doing...

PSU's QB should didn't look like a future pro.

Not at all.  Most if not all of his big plays today were under-throws that could have been intercepted if Maryland wasn't using the Ravens secondary on Saturdays this season.  They have ZERO ball skills back there, otherwise he's throwing 3 or more INTs today.

Aside from the name, he reminds me of Zach Mettenberger a little bit... a college QB touted to have NFL skills, but I just don't see him ever keeping a starting job in the NFL.  

PSu 31-Maryland 30

Wow, much closer than expected.

I say if Maryland lands a good coach, they have a bright future against PSu.

Edited by slapshot

Good game to watch .....

7 lead changes and a 1 point ending .....

Terps seemed more energized today ........

That seems to happen a lot when a coach get fired ........

We blew a golden opportunity to beat psu ........

He's known as great recruiter, but Locksley looks like he also has the respect of the players.  I can excuse a 1 point loss to PSU.  If this team remains competitive, I think he should get consideration for the job. I will say he's a long shot regardless. Chances are that better options exist. We just need to keep open mind. It's Locksley's job to lose at this point.

What an unbelievably lousy coaching job by Franklin. He is losing support up their fast. Some terrible time outs, clock management and play selection.

He's known as great recruiter, but Locksley looks like he also has the respect of the players. I can excuse a 1 point loss to PSU. If this team remains competitive, I think he should get consideration for the job. I will say he's a long shot regardless. Chances are that better options exist. We just need to keep open mind. It's Locksley's job to lose at this point.

From where I park every day, I pass by the practice field.

For the past week, the practices have been noticeably lighter/more fun than in the past. For example, I now hear rap music and a lot of laughing coming from the field....

The atmosphere is definitely more upbeat....at least for now.

Edited by slapshot

No surprise really.....

Edsall was from the Coughlin tree and while he had to back off the drill sargent routine that doomed his tenure at the start, can't imagine he lossen up that much ....

They were looking for someone to clean up the program after the mess Fridge made. Academics were laughable, and there were a lot of off the field problems Fridge couldn't be bothered with addressing.

What an unbelievably lousy coaching job by Franklin. He is losing support up their fast. Some terrible time outs, clock management and play selection.

How do you have this insight into how Franklin's support is "up their"?

How do you have this insight into how Franklin's support is "up their"?

Unlike most MD fans I went to the game. And good catch, your husband will get a kick out that.

Unlike most MD fans I went to the game. And good catch, your husband will get a kick out that.

In other words, you made it up, as is your wont.

No, I went to the game.

So how's the support for Franklin up their these days?

Probably the same since they are unranked and the third best team in their own State. They fancy themselves a big time program.

No shame in losing to Northwestern, they are a much better program than your Penn St.

Ken Niumatalolo... make him an offer he can't refuse...

What an awesome job that he has done at Navy. When Johnson let to be the HC at Georgia Tech, I really worried that Navy had seen its best days. Now they are ranked for the first time in many years.

As for hiring him at MD, I'm not so sure that the triple option would go over well at College Park.