• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#21 Bawlmerian

Bawlmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Maybe time for UMD to consider hiring a minority as a head coach again.

Who cares what race the coach is.  We need a recruiter and a winner.  Not a diversity achievement. 

A warm sunspot Spring welcome to all of our new O'Malley sycophant posters. I guess the re-election campaign has begun. :)

#22 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

Who cares what race the coach is. We need a recruiter and a winner. Not a diversity achievement.

You don't see a correlation with recruiting, when you are trying to keep in states recruits that are minorities? UMD has
never had problem recruiting LAX, Soccer and Field hockey in state talent. I'm not saying sell your self short,It's worth an attempt I say to compete with the PSU, WVU and VA techs of the world.

Edited by Navypost, 12 January 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#23 Arslan

Arslan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

Per 247 sports, the Terps have received commitments from only 2 of the top 30 HS players in Maryland. That's a pretty sad state of affairs. I read somewhere on the Internet that several current Terp players have dissuaded potential recruits from playing under Edsall. Not sure I believe that.

But one thing's for sure, Maryland has opened the door wide open for B!G schools to pick apart Maryland. Why go to Maryland if you can go to Penn State, Michigan or Wisconsin?

#24 Bawlmerian

Bawlmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

You don't see a correlation with recruiting, when you are trying to keep in states recruits that are minorities? UMD has
never had problem recruiting LAX, Soccer and Field hockey in state talent. I'm not saying sell your self short,It's worth an attempt I say to compete with the PSU, WVU and VA techs of the world.

Yet somehow little programs like Florida State, Duke, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan State, Oregon, & Missouri all did it with non minority head coaches.

What minority were you thinking?  Asian? Native American?

A warm sunspot Spring welcome to all of our new O'Malley sycophant posters. I guess the re-election campaign has begun. :)

#25 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

as usual, you have nothing intelligent to add ......

almost 30 year, diamond level terrapin club member here ......

what have you done to support the programs .......

Penny ante terrapin club members...when are you finally going to understand you are small time and the ath. Dept and admin don't listen to you? Under Armor...now they move the needle.

Going to stroll down to Duke and hop on their hoops bandwagon? Wouldn't be any more ridiculous than becoming a penn st football fan.

#26 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

These top maryland recruits can play at UMD in a half empty stadium or play in front of 100,000 fans in Happy Valley.   Heck we have more fans in our parking lots tailgating the game than you have in the seats at Maryland. 

PSU is going to basically have an extra home game every other year because I have a feeling every game we play at Maryland will have a majority of PSU fans. 

#27 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

Pedo State still has two more years on it's post-season ban. I would think that will have some impact on recruiting?

Finally, and like many coaches that are successful at a high profile college program, end up using that position to jump to the NFL. Not saying Franklin will jump....but, if he does, it won't surprise me in the least.

#28 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hmmm...maybe Frankski wasn't sure a good hire for the tone def Penn St people from planet happy valley....his reputation seems better suited for an outlaw program like UVA or Ok State. 

http://www.usatoday....anklin/4396979/

#29 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Christine Brennan (born May 14, 1958, in Toledo, Ohio) is an American sports columnist, TV and radio commentator, best-selling author, and nationally-known speaker. She is especially known for her coverage of the Olympics and has written three books on the subject of figure skating: the best-selling Inside Edge (1996), Edge of Glory (1998), and Champions on Ice (2002). So a figure skating expert and Northwestern Grad/Fan doesn't want him at Penn State?

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#30 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Penny ante terrapin club members...when are you finally going to understand you are small time and the ath. Dept and admin don't listen to you? Under Armor...now they move the needle.

Going to stroll down to Duke and hop on their hoops bandwagon? Wouldn't be any more ridiculous than becoming a penn st football fan.

duck and dodge .......

your evasion to a direct questions and personal attacks makes it clear you have done nothing to support the school or its sports programs ......

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#31 Arslan

Arslan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Christine Brennan covered the Washington Redskins for the Washington Post during the Joe Gibbs era.

#32 Bawlmerian

Bawlmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

Christine Brennan covered the Washington Redskins for the Washington Post during the Joe Gibbs era.

That must have been awful.  

#33 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

That must have been awful.  

Not as bad as being an underprivileged boy in State College when Joe Paterno was pretending not to see his friend and long time coordinator rythmically slap young boys in the shower...You Are...Penn State!

Or not as bad as being that Vanderbuild girl Franklin's players had their way with. 

Edited by Brohan, 13 January 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#34 Bawlmerian

Bawlmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

Well Franklin has beaten more ranked teams than Edsal.  

#35 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Edsall has taken a team to BCS.

Edited by Brohan, 13 January 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#36 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

Did Edsel win? Funny, I did not hear any buzz about teams or the NFL wanting Edsel.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#37 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:26 AM

Vandy finished the season winning on a Saturday bowl game. On ESPN. A game that people watched. And they ended up winning. And ranked in the top 25. With a coach that people wanted to hire. Face it. Anderson picked the wrong horse.

#38 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Yet somehow little programs like Florida State, Duke, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan State, Oregon, & Missouri all did it with non minority head coaches.

What minority were you thinking?  Asian? Native American?

They have the advantage of being Ohio State, Duke, FSU and Oregon(Nike U).

Baltimore to this day still  has somewhat of a blockade on UMCP. DC area kids have GTOWN, GW and now recently Mason for basketball, VA tech & PSU for Football , which is on another planet when it comes to their sports program support compared to UMCP.

Edited by Navypost, 14 January 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#39 Bawlmerian

Bawlmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

So Asian?  Like maybe a Hindu Indian?

#40 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Sure, at least the graduation rate would explode through the roof,

Norm Chow & Ken Niumatalolo would be good considerations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users