26 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,529 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1576281

Alex Rodriguez, once Major League Baseball’s biggest star, was slammed Saturday with an historic drug suspension that encompasses all of the 2014 season, including the postseason, and will cost the Yankee third baseman $25 million in this year’s salary, plus millions in any performance incentives he would have earned.

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

The Yankees are laughing their way all the way to Tanaka's doorstep.

Edited by Slidemaster, 11 January 2014 - 07:39 PM.

The kids are alright.

#3 kudzu

kudzu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

The Yankees are laughing their way all the way to Tanaka's doorstep.

No they're not.

They still owe A-Rod ~60 mill for 2015 and beyond.

This saves them ~$25 mill,  For 2014 only.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

No they're not.

They still owe A-Rod ~60 mill for 2015 and beyond.

This saves them ~$25 mill,  For 2014 only.

the yankees are less and less concerned with reducing their luxury tax payments. all it took was boson hoisting up that trophy, and they went full steam ahead in the FA market..

interestingly, the analysts on MLB tv were saying the yankees need to go all in to get Tanaka and to own the ALe. these are the same analysts who pontificate on whether/or not MLB needs to consider stronger methods to create econ. parity.

pretty funny :D

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 kudzu

kudzu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

the yankees are less and less concerned with reducing their luxury tax payments. all it took was boson hoisting up that trophy, and they went full steam ahead in the FA market..

interestingly, the analysts on MLB tv were saying the yankees need to go all in to get Tanaka and to own the ALe. these are the same analysts who pontificate on whether/or not MLB needs to consider stronger methods to create econ. parity.

pretty funny :D

You know what's funny ?  Thinking that a Jap will make a difference.

Think: Pearl Harbor.

Short term gain, otherwise epic fail.

The New York Steinbrenners (Those Yankess fans better realize that they are rooting for that family) are nothing but a bunch of money grubing &^^%$*(((&^% *expletive deleted.

They do not care about New York, or baseball.  They care about Money.

#6 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Think: Pearl Harbor.

Short term gain, otherwise epic fail.

The New York Steinbrenners (Those Yankess fans better realize that they are rooting for that family) are nothing but a bunch of money grubing &^^%$*(((&^% *expletive deleted.

They do not care about New York, or baseball. They care about Money.[/quote]

Extreme comparison/metaphor!, Let's see if the Sun has a double standard with racial slurs. lol

Edited by Navypost, 12 January 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#7 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,593 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  :D

#8 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,791 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

A-Rod has no one to blame but himself for this latest setback to his career. 

Without even a failed drug test I don't agree with the length of the suspension. Ryan Braun got a shorter suspension and he caused a guy to lose his job. 

The MLB still hasn't made public the evidence against A-Rod. Everything leaked so far seems to be speculative. 

Edited by soulflower, 13 January 2014 - 08:59 AM.

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,794 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  :D

Arod is set for life. He'll probably spend the summer banging hot chicks in exotic locations that most of us can only dream about

Edited by bmore_ken, 13 January 2014 - 09:45 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

Without even a failed drug test I don't agree with the length of the suspension. Ryan Braun got a shorter suspension and he caused a guy to lose his job. 

The MLB still hasn't made public the evidence against A-Rod. Everything leaked so far seems to be speculative. 

Did you watch the Tony Bosch interview last night. The evidence seems to be there. Keep in mind that the situation has not ended yet. Pay-Roid will appeal and take the case as far as he can. So neither side is going to release their evidence just yet.

There was one comment made on mlb tv that made me laugh. the analysts were talking about where this case will go from here. one of the guys said Pay-Roid won't stop, because his greatest fear is that he'll become irrelevant. :lol:  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#11 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

The evidence is overwhelming. The arbitrator is very well respected.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#12 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,791 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Did you watch the Tony Bosch interview last night. The evidence seems to be there. Keep in mind that the situation has not ended yet. Pay-Roid will appeal and take the case as far as he can. So neither side is going to release their evidence just yet.

There was one comment made on mlb tv that made me laugh. the analysts were talking about where this case will go from here. one of the guys said Pay-Roid won't stop, because his greatest fear is that he'll become irrelevant. :lol:  

The MLB should come clean with the evidence they have just like the group that banned Lance Armstrong did.   

Bosch doesn't seem very credible as a witness. The MLB is paying him plus protecting him from Federal drug charges(he's alleged to have sold drugs to minors). The MLB paid for illegally obtained evidence and obstructed the State of Florida's investigation of Biogensis. From an ethical standpoint, the means they used to go after A-Rod look pretty ugly.

A-Rod was tested 12 times and never failed a test. So that means either:

A - Bosch is THAT good! Which is unlikely. Nothing in his background suggests he's some kind of genius chemist. 

or

B - Bosch told A-Rod he was giving him PEDs but it was really something else.

Either way, while there's no irrefutable proof that A-Rod took banned substances, he was associating with a known drug peddler, which is enough to justify a suspension. I just think compared to what Braun did, I don't see how a full season suspension is justified. 

Lastly, it doesn't help the MLB's drug testing policies if they're admitting that their testing doesn't work. If all the players suspended really did get PEDs from this clinic, the message is, the drug testing policy is pretty ineffective. 

#13 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

None of Bosch's clients failed tests. He was apparently that good at evading tests. The rest of them took their suspensions without question. What does that tell you?

Blame the union if you don't like the test. They're the one who prevent more comprehensive tests.

Edited by HAIL2BNG, 13 January 2014 - 11:27 AM.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#14 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,791 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

None of Bosch's clients failed tests. He was apparently that good at evading tests. The rest of them took their suspensions without question. What does that tell you?

Blame the union if you don't like the test. They're the one who prevent more comprehensive tests.

The testing policy doesn't bother me. It's the unfairness of the penalties and the lack of justification for the 162-game suspension.

Why so much longer than the rest of the players involved?  

I believe all the players who went to Bosch intended to buy PEDs. I just don't believe the products Bosch gave them were the real deal. He's not an honest guy or a credible witness. 

Edited by soulflower, 13 January 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

The MLB should come clean with the evidence they have just like the group that banned Lance Armstrong did.   

Bosch doesn't seem very credible as a witness. The MLB is paying him plus protecting him from Federal drug charges(he's alleged to have sold drugs to minors). The MLB paid for illegally obtained evidence and obstructed the State of Florida's investigation of Biogensis. From an ethical standpoint, the means they used to go after A-Rod look pretty ugly.

A-Rod was tested 12 times and never failed a test. So that means either:

A - Bosch is THAT good! Which is unlikely. Nothing in his background suggests he's some kind of genius chemist. 

or

B - Bosch told A-Rod he was giving him PEDs but it was really something else.

Either way, while there's no irrefutable proof that A-Rod took banned substances, he was associating with a known drug peddler, which is enough to justify a suspension. I just think compared to what Braun did, I don't see how a full season suspension is justified. 

Lastly, it doesn't help the MLB's drug testing policies if they're admitting that their testing doesn't work. If all the players suspended really did get PEDs from this clinic, the message is, the drug testing policy is pretty ineffective. 

No Armstrong evidence was released while the case was still in litigation. I believed Lance was innocent and I couldn't understand why he was being put thru the wringer like he was. the reason was, the USADA had the goods on him, but they weren't releasing any of it while he was contesting the case. that made it real easy to assume it was a witch hunt, while it was going on. but justice was eventually served. 

as I said before, this case isn't finished yet. there is still a lengthy appeals process ahead, so no one is going to release their evidence just yet. this is standard legal practice across the whole spectrum of our judicial system.  

MLB is not paying Bosch, I don't think it's legal to pay someone to be a witness. I started doing a point by point reply, but it was getting too lengthy. so I'll sum it up by saying that all the things you're frustrated with, are standard practice in our legal system...all of it. how witness are provided for, special consideration, assistance with other legal issues, it's all standard and has been going on forever.  

also, no one, outside of the arbitrators and participants, knows if there is irrefutable proof, since the evidence hasn't been released. for the time being, I'd hold off on saying there's no irrefutable proof.   

and you're right. this is proof that the drug testing policy can be beat. like any effort to prevent criminal behavior, there are preventative advancements and technologies,  followed by counter-advancements/technologies. the battle never ends, and there is never an ultimate winner.

#16 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,791 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

MLB is not paying Bosch, I don't think it's legal to pay someone to be a witness. I started doing a point by point reply, but it was getting too lengthy. so I'll sum it up by saying that all the things you're frustrated with, are standard practice in our legal system...all of it. how witness are provided for, special consideration, assistance with other legal issues, it's all standard and has been going on forever.  

The MLB is paying for Bosch's cooperation:

Baseball officials, said the Daily News, agreed to drop its lawsuit against Bosch if he testified for them. Also, MLB would pay his legal bills, protect him for any civil liability and “provide him with personal security.”

MLB officials have also told Bosch they would intervene with any law-enforcement agencies that might prosecute the South Florida businessman because he acknowledged he provided performance-enhancing drugs to ballplayers.

“This raises a lot of serious ethical problems,” one source said. “It’s indirect compensation for information.” 

http://www.sportsgri...ouldnt-pay-him/

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

The testing policy doesn't bother me. It's the unfairness of the penalties and the lack of justification for the 162-game suspension.

Why so much longer than the rest of the players involved? 

I heard that he was recruiting players for Bosch's clinic, and that was another factor that went into his extended suspension. he was essentially Bosch's pusher inside mlb. that's only speculation at this point though.

here's something else to keep in mind. the union doesn't lay down and take a beating. they fight everything tooth and nail. but they aren't fighting this one. Pay-Roid will, but the union isn't getting involved.  

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

The MLB is paying for Bosch's cooperation:

Baseball officials, said the Daily News, agreed to drop its lawsuit against Bosch if he testified for them. Also, MLB would pay his legal bills, protect him for any civil liability and “provide him with personal security.”

MLB officials have also told Bosch they would intervene with any law-enforcement agencies that might prosecute the South Florida businessman because he acknowledged he provided performance-enhancing drugs to ballplayers.

“This raises a lot of serious ethical problems,” one source said. “It’s indirect compensation for information.” 

http://www.sportsgri...ouldnt-pay-him/

correct. that's exactly what I said. this is standard practice in the US judicial system. 

#19 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,791 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

I heard that he was recruiting players for Bosch's clinic, and that was another factor that went into his extended suspension. he was essentially Bosch's pusher inside mlb. that's only speculation at this point though.

here's something else to keep in mind. the union doesn't lay down and take a beating. they fight everything tooth and nail. but they aren't fighting this one. Pay-Roid will, but the union isn't getting involved.  

Where's the evidence that A-Rod was recruiting players for Bosch? What incentive would A-Rod have for recruiting players for Bosch?

If it's just a rumor or speculation, it shouldn't be a factor in the length of his suspension. 

A-Rod did try to buy the Biogenesis evidence that the MLB was after. That proves he tried to obstruct the investigation. But how is that any worse than what Braun did which led to someone losing their job? Or Melky Cabrera creating the fake website to try to obstruct the investigation against him? 

The Player's union is involved on A-Rod's behalf and they have criticized the MLB for the 60 minutes "pile on"

#20 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,791 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

correct. that's exactly what I said. this is standard practice in the US judicial system. 

I disagree. It's not standard practice to pay a witness(indirectly) and help the witness evade law enforcement prosecution. 

I don't see how anyone can defend the means used by the MLB. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users