Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Anquon Boldin is Worth Every Dollar Paid to the Man!

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

I don't care what anyone says, if the Ravens had kept Boldin they would have probably made the playoffs. Forget Dumervil, Smith, etc. They were nice additions but not at the expense of losing such a big time receiver. The money would have been a million times better spent on the future HOF receiver the likes of which the Ravens have never had before and likely never will again. He would have made the big third down catches this season that the impotent Ravens offense couldn't get and would have helped the running game with his blocking and toughness. That was IMO the single dumbest mover EVER made by Ozzie Newsome BAR none...!!

Edited by Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!, 12 January 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#2 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Maybe we can sign him back, after the harbaugh year loan is over.

#3 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,592 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

he definitely steps up when the games mean something ......

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Anyone who still thinks Boldin was overrated or unimportant (I'm looking at you, OCF!) is absolutely clueless. The guy is money in the bank, clutch as they come, and one of the most physical receivers I've ever seen. I'll always be a huge fan of his and I miss seeing him suit up for the Ravens.
The kids are alright.

#5 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Boldin was definitely money today. NO doubt about it.

#6 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

They missed Pollard the pat crippler just as much if not more.

#7 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,592 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

They missed Pollard the pat crippler just as much if not more.

nope, not at all........

safety play was not anywhere near as much an issue as wr's ......

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#8 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

nope, not at all........

safety play was not anywhere near as much an issue as wr's ......

Ozzie Newsome says otherwise...there is a whole article on it in the sports section...you should have someone read it to you. Jermichael Finley, Edelmen, Alshon Jeffries, AJ Green and the entire Broncos wr team feasted on the weak Ravens secondary.

Just curious, do you watch the Ravens games?

#9 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

Boldin was definitely money today. NO doubt about it.

boldin's been nothing but money throughout his entire career. at least you had the guts to show up and admit you were all but wrong in your assessment of boldin's value.

#10 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,461 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

I think everyone realizes that getting rid of Boldin was a mistake.  The FO said that the goal was to keep the Ravens competitive over the years and not let the team get old and salary cap strapped.  Yet the team was 8-8 this year, and certainly are not in great salary cap position right now.   No team in history has ever turned over that much personel after a superbowl and repeated.  I would have liked to see the FO try to keep most of the team intact and try to repeat.  There wasn't anything they could do about the retirements, but they certainly let some players go that they might have retained.  Sure that can lead to a one or two year down period to rebuild, but the Ravens do as well of a job at drafting as anyone so I suspect it would not be a long downtime.  A good example of hanging on to players too long lies with the Ravens main competition.  Pittsburgh is paying the price for that right now.  But at the same time, Pittsburgh also went to 3 superbowls and won two of them in 6 years.  I would say that is a fair trade off for a 2-3 year rebuilding period.  It's very hard to get the chemistry together to go all the way, once you have it I think you owe it to your fans to try and milk it for as many superbowls as you can. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#11 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

boldin's been nothing but money throughout his entire career. at least you had the guts to show up and admit you were all but wrong in your assessment of boldin's value.

Regardless...not even Boldin could have overcome the total trashing of the O-line, the total absence of the running game, and the horrible play calling, on both sides of the LOS. If Boldin HAD been here, would the Ravens have been able to beat the Pats, Broncos, or any of the other teams heading deep into the playoffs? If you're honest, you'll know the answer is a resounding "No".

#12 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

I think everyone realizes that getting rid of Boldin was a mistake.  The FO said that the goal was to keep the Ravens competitive over the years and not let the team get old and salary cap strapped.  Yet the team was 8-8 this year, and certainly are not in great salary cap position right now.   No team in history has ever turned over that much personel after a superbowl and repeated.  I would have liked to see the FO try to keep most of the team intact and try to repeat.  There wasn't anything they could do about the retirements, but they certainly let some players go that they might have retained.  Sure that can lead to a one or two year down period to rebuild, but the Ravens do as well of a job at drafting as anyone so I suspect it would not be a long downtime.  A good example of hanging on to players too long lies with the Ravens main competition.  Pittsburgh is paying the price for that right now.  But at the same time, Pittsburgh also went to 3 superbowls and won two of them in 6 years.  I would say that is a fair trade off for a 2-3 year rebuilding period.  It's very hard to get the chemistry together to go all the way, once you have it I think you owe it to your fans to try and milk it for as many superbowls as you can. 

I disagree. The Ravens have no answer to the ballooning salaries of Ngata, Suggs, and even Rice. Their performance/dollar outlay is pitiable. And what sense does it make to restructure Ngata? He hasn't played well in THREE YEARS. Is he suddenly going to have a resurgence? He ought to just retire, and be done with it. And Suggs? Maybe he's sustained one too many injuries. The same with Rice. So how does that project into some sort of sound, rosy future?

#13 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

I don't care what anyone says, if the Ravens had kept Boldin they would have probably made the playoffs. Forget Dumervil, Smith, etc. They were nice additions but not at the expense of losing such a big time receiver. The money would have been a million times better spent on the future HOF receiver the likes of which the Ravens have never had before and likely never will again. He would have made the big third down catches this season that the impotent Ravens offense couldn't get and would have helped the running game with his blocking and toughness. That was IMO the single dumbest mover EVER made by Ozzie Newsome BAR none...!!

Boldin isn't making the HOF.  Great receiver, but not HOF.

#14 caliber45

caliber45

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

As great as Boldin is and as much as I hated to see him go, this years Ravens were doomed due to the O-line. How many bottomed ranked running teams go anywhere in the play offs?

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,690 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Ozzie Newsome says otherwise...there is a whole article on it in the sports section...you should have someone read it to you. Jermichael Finley, Edelmen, Alshon Jeffries, AJ Green and the entire Broncos wr team feasted on the weak Ravens secondary.

Just curious, do you watch the Ravens games?

The Ravens secondary had 4 interceptions against the Bengals in week 17, do you watch any of the Ravens games?

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#16 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

The Ravens secondary had 4 interceptions against the Bengals in week 17, do you watch any of the Ravens games?

Yeah, I remember AJ Green zipping by Elam for a real long TD.....it was almost as bad as when Jermichael Finley smoked him for another game winner.

Your boy Biff wouldn't tolerate that.  He would have a new safety in the back of his limo by the time the team watched film.

Edited by Brohan, 13 January 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,690 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Yeah, I remember AJ Green zipping by Elam for a real long TD.....it was almost as bad as when Jermichael Finley smoked him for another game winner.

Your boy Biff wouldn't tolerate that.  He would have a new safety in the back of his limo by the time the team watched film.

I wonder if Green would have even had that opportunity if the Ravens offense actually knew what a 1st down was. I guess in your world 4 picks in a game don't matter :rolleyes:

Edited by bmore_ken, 13 January 2014 - 04:36 PM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#18 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

Give me Megatron. I like him better than Boldin and Moore will make you forget Boldin in a year Watch and see but remember you heard it from me......

#19 SugarRay52

SugarRay52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

I disagree. The Ravens have no answer to the ballooning salaries of Ngata, Suggs, and even Rice. Their performance/dollar outlay is pitiable. And what sense does it make to restructure Ngata? He hasn't played well in THREE YEARS. Is he suddenly going to have a resurgence? He ought to just retire, and be done with it. And Suggs? Maybe he's sustained one too many injuries. The same with Rice. So how does that project into some sort of sound, rosy future?

They chose to give these guys those contracts and now they have to deal with the consequences. At this
point they are stuck with Ngata and Rice but they
can cut ties with Suggs. These contracts are hurting
the Ravens but according to the Flacco haters his
contract is the only one destroying the team, it's
amazing how most people give Rice, Suggs, and Ngata
a pass (Suggs and Ngata going to the Pro Bowl is
a joke). OCF you've been telling the truth about these guys for a while now.

By the way I changed my mind and decided to post back on here but I won't allow my emotions to get
out of control.

#20 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

If you ignore the Ravens' awful OL, and the difference between supporting cast receivers, you're absolutely right. Unfortunately, the OL and the contrast between Crabtree and Davis versus (even) Pitta and Torrey Smith, means your argument does not hold water.  Boldin is clearly a better receiver than just about any the Ravens have ever had, but his projected effect on this year's team is clearly suspect. 

This was a reply to the OP. For some reason, quotes are not showing up.

Edited by Struds, 13 January 2014 - 05:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users