Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Buzzcut

Delmon Young?

23 posts in this topic

He can be had for cheap, I think he has 'issues' though. Seem to recall he got hammered in NYC and was found roaming the streets muttering anti-Semetic slurs. Although at this point, if Bin Laden had a good curve I'd've signed him.

Looks like another bargain basement reclamation project. Sigh...

yep, that's the angeloser way.

does he upgrade the DH position? absolutely, by 1000%. but that's pretty easy to do when since the 2013 rotating DHs went 3 for April/May.  

I just wonder if the final nail in the coffin has been driven in all the way for Morales.

I think it has. otherwise, why sign Young and invite Cust to camp. Morales has a draft pick tied to him. PGA isn't giving up a draft pick, not even if it was the last pick in the last round. he covets draft picks too much. 

Did anyone catch this great qoute by Duquette? 

He’s still only 28 years old,” Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said of Young. “But the thing he does well is he can hit when you need a hit in the playoffs and he has a very good record over his entire career against left-handed pitching. … Delmon is still a young guy. He is still relatively young. He still has good ability and some things he can do well to help the team.”

Thanks Dan but with the moves you've made this offseason I don't think we need to be worrying about playoff performance.

The O's are also interested in..Jack Cust, who hasn't seen a major league pitch since 2011.   

Thanks Dan but with the moves you've made this offseason I don't think we need to be worrying about playoff performance.

he knows, as well as we do, that the playoffs are unlikely, and I'm being kind in how I phrased that. but, as the company spokesman, part of his job is to keep up public images. 

To continue an analogy I made recently, Duquette the alley cat, rummaging through the dumpster, actually found a bone that still has some meat on it, so he is justifiably pleased. When dumpster diving is your domain, anything you can come up with is a plus.

To continue an analogy I made recently, Duquette the alley cat, rummaging through the dumpster, actually found a bone that still has some meat on it, so he is justifiably pleased. When dumpster diving is your domain, anything you can come up with is a plus.

I totally agree.

Yeah the news article and qoute from Duquette on the signing make him sound almost giddy with excitement that we signed a guy who is ONLY 28 and has had a hit in the playoffs. 

His lack of OBP will fit nicely with all the other guys.

That's what is mind blowing. Duquette is supposed to be a big believer in on base percentage but he let a career Oriole who could actually get on base walk and he's been picking up these types of minimal impact players.

I can't believe they invited Cust to camp. Just an awful, awful off season.

I can't believe they invited Cust to camp. Just an awful, awful off season.

One of Buck's old boys.

Cust’s professional career began with the Arizona Diamondbacks when Buck Showalter managed the team, so he reached out to Showalter and he was invited to tryout.

“He asked me to come down and work out,” Showalter said. “I know Jack. He’s a professional hitter. He’s got as long a track record that you know what you’re going to get.”

Oh yes, I can tell it's hot stove time as we commiserate once again on the bargain bin shopping of our beloved Baltimore's O's.

Delmon Young. And the intersting thing is I agree, he could help at DH although I think he's a shipwreck in the OF. Who was the top O's DH last year? I'm guessing Weiters when he wasn't catching.

Seems that the king is back in the saddle again calling the "cheap" shots!