• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 DJGreg1200

DJGreg1200

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

So I'm in the car earlier listening to the radio and I hear that Jim Hostler is a candidate to replace Caldwell as Ravens offensive coordinator. I decided to look up his resume and I found that he was the OC for the 2007 San Francisco 49ers. Under his direction, the 2007 49ers finished DEAD LAST in the NFL in offense. In 2006, the 49ers had the 6th best rushing attack in the league. In 2007, they dropped to 27th....oh and the running back was a guy named Frank Gore who went from a 1,600 yard running back in 06 to a 1,100 yard running back in 07.

Why is this guy under consideration?

BTW......the 2006 49ers offensive coordinator......was Norv Turner

#2 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Hostler as the OC?

DEFINITELY!!!

Of the Lions.

#3 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,318 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

These are the supposed candidates: Brad Childress, Rob Chudzinski, Jim Hostler, Gary Kubiak, Ben McAdoo, Mike Sullivan, Norv Turner

#4 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

Someone with a burning desire to win, no fear, and a creative offensive mind. Someone who will make use of multiple weapons simultaneously, and who knows how to develop offensive players, and oversee the refinement of Joe Flacco. Someone who has the courage to make decisions, and will not play 'scared' football. A guy who can see what the other team brings and can scheme up a game plan that will take full advantage of weaknesses...and who can adjust that game plan on a dime when it needs to be changed. Doing the unexpected, when we all are expecting something else....a guy that creates NEW game strategies, formations, and keeps evolving the offensive approach. Let's hire a competitor and a hungry fighter that wants to prove something. If he is smart, creative, tough minded, and adaptable...I will be thrilled. Let's let someone other than John Harbaugh make that decision...whether it's his 'right to' or not. Steve cannot afford to let this ball get fumbled. This is the most important building block available to us. DO NOT #%!? This one up! Our OC issues go ALL the way back to the beginning of this franchise......it's TIME!

#5 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

These are the supposed candidates: Brad Childress, Rob Chudzinski, Jim Hostler, Gary Kubiak, Ben McAdoo, Mike Sullivan, Norv Turner

Well...we can cross McAdoo off the list. He was signed by the G-Men. (And is young, and came HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by none other than Aaron Rodgers.)

#6 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:37 AM

I believe early reports indicate Norv Turner is going to be our OC. Let's see if that is verified later today. I can live with that selection, though not the ideal choice of a young, upward moving new talent. Maybe some wisdom and seasoning will be helpful in this case. It will be interesting to see how he and John get along.

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

I believe early reports indicate Norv Turner is going to be our OC. Let's see if that is verified later today. I can live with that selection, though not the ideal choice of a young, upward moving new talent. Maybe some wisdom and seasoning will be helpful in this case. It will be interesting to see how he and John get along.

Personally I'm tired of the "Coryell tree" OC's. Their day has COME AND GONE. The Ravens need someone who can masterfully implement some sort of FAST, WCO design. Joe doesn't have all day to wait for fast but not tough WRs to make it down the sideline in the 5 play playbook that these Coryell types seem to employ. The Ravens need pre-snap motion, the ability to exploit the MIDDLE OF THE FIELD, stack/rub schemes that create easy, fast, natural separation that can then maximize YAC! THESE are what have been sorely missing. (And GOOD, WELL DESIGNED SCREEN PLAYS, not the crap that the Ravens run.) Quick passes to set up the run, not the other way around. 

Meh.

Norv's best days are definitely behind him.

#8 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I would agree with you there OCF! Although I am not sure what to think about Hostler. I don't see anything that validates his potential to be a good one. This is where Steve and Ozzie (minus John) should do a hardcore forced evaluation with traits, achievements, potential for growth, creativity, and player development among the criteria for ranking them. This is what Steve is supposed to be very good at by background...and it's an example of a situation where he would be very wise to be fully engaged. This should be HIS decision, since the last few were on John. He's burned up his challenges.

#9 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

I would agree with you there OCF! Although I am not sure what to think about Hostler. I don't see anything that validates his potential to be a good one. This is where Steve and Ozzie (minus John) should do a hardcore forced evaluation with traits, achievements, potential for growth, creativity, and player development among the criteria for ranking them. This is what Steve is supposed to be very good at by background...and it's an example of a situation where he would be very wise to be fully engaged. This should be HIS decision, since the last few were on John. He's burned up his challenges.

They made an announcement that they are going to be looking inside and outside the organization to fill the position. And since Turner has garnered interest elsewhere (Vikes), my hunch is...the Ravens are going to be looking at Brad Childress. (That is...if Harbaugh's ego and Childress's ego can both fit inside The Castle walls.)

If not...it could end up being Hostler. And I agree...he's shown nothing as far as I'm concerned -- with the possible exception of the development of T Smith. Smith was totally one dimensional when he arrived from college, and very unpolished across the board. And he's much better now. Other than that, what has Hostler really done?

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 15 January 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#10 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Update: I guess we have to add Kyle Shanahan to the list of potential OC candidates, since the Ravens apparently interviewed him today.

#11 TigerBlood

TigerBlood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

My prediction is that Harbaugh will drag his feet on this until most of the qualified, outside candidates already have jobs.  This way he can promote Hostler and not have to explain why they didn't get Norv or McAdoo instead.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,604 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

My prediction is that Harbaugh will drag his feet on this until most of the qualified, outside candidates already have jobs.  This way he can promote Hostler and not have to explain why they didn't get Norv or McAdoo instead.

Wally Williams was on this morning and he said he thinks this "search" is a dog and pony show and Harbaugh will more than likely give Hostler the job because he's familiar with him

Edited by bmore_ken, 16 January 2014 - 09:31 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#13 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

This.

(Unless Bisciotti puts his foot down.)

#14 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

I have been thinking the same thing! Harbaugh is slick and knows he can get his way by default. It's going to take an act of congress to get him out of Baltimore. You have to really wonder if he does have Bisciotti completely hoodwinked? It's hard to believe with someone as worldly and successful as our owner....but you never know!

#15 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

Yes it is surprisingly easy to hoodwink someone into believing you're a good coach when when you have five playoff appearances and a league championship in your first five years. People are so gullible.

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,604 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Yes it is surprisingly easy to hoodwink someone into believing you're a good coach when when you have five playoff appearances and a league championship in your first five years. People are so gullible.

Can you believe some of these people? :o

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#17 DJGreg1200

DJGreg1200

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

I've been connecting the dots with this coaching staff and I firmly believe the new OC will bring in the West Coast offense. Here's why.

1. The 3 interviewees have all ran the West Coast offense in their previous coaching stops.

2. If you look at Juan Castillo's NFL resume, he's only worked under offensive coordinators that run the West Coast offense....until he came to Baltimore.

3. The read and react way of zone blocking that Castillo brought to the Ravens is one of the staples of the WCO.

4. All the members of the coaching staff that preferred a different offense are heading to either Detroit with Caldwell or out of the castle altogether.

#18 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

I've been connecting the dots with this coaching staff and I firmly believe the new OC will bring in the West Coast offense. Here's why.

1. The 3 interviewees have all ran the West Coast offense in their previous coaching stops.

2. If you look at Juan Castillo's NFL resume, he's only worked under offensive coordinators that run the West Coast offense....until he came to Baltimore.

3. The read and react way of zone blocking that Castillo brought to the Ravens is one of the staples of the WCO.

4. All the members of the coaching staff that preferred a different offense are heading to either Detroit with Caldwell or out of the castle altogether.

Which 3 interviewees?

#19 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

I just love the people that keep saying it was Harbaugh and the coaching staff that are responsible for the Super Bowl win and playoff appearances...yet when the coaches are criticized for the terrible performance this year...immediately point out that "it's the players" who caused it. So, just when are the coaches held responsible? And as we watch the next season or two play out as I anticipate....poorly.....will it now be "on the players" ? Pretty convenient isn't it? They have you thinking their way though..and I am sure John appreciates your undying support.

#20 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

Steve...Steve...Steve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users