Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

How about trading for Andre Johnson

23 posts in this topic

It has been well known and reported that Andre Johnson, one of the best receivers in the NFL, is unhappy in Houston. Johnson would probably come at a steep price as he is under contract with the Texans for 3 more seasons. This could be that #1 receiver that Harbaugh and Newsome covet.

Here's a story from November about Johnson being unhappy:

Johnson appears unhappy in Houston

Aaron Wilson

There's no denying the fact that Andre Johnson is one of the best receivers in the NFL.

After years of losing in Houston, the last couple of seasons have been kind to him. But now that the Texans are back to losing, like the old days, it appears the veteran receiver is near a breaking point.

He was caught, uncharacteristically, on the sideline yelling at quarterback Matt Schaub near the end of Sunday's 28-23 loss to Oakland.

Afterward, he was asked if he was unhappy with the current situation.

“I’m under contract so I have to play my contract out,” Johnson said, via CBS Houston. “I can’t do anything about that.”

Johnson is under contract with the Texans for three more seasons. Given Johnson's status as a premier receiver in the game, it's unlikely Houston makes a move with him anytime soon after this season ends.

Follow me on Twitter: @RavensInsider

Aaron Wilson covers the Ravens for The Baltimore Sun.

What would Houston want in return for Johnson?

Flacco?

Probably a first round pick.

"This could be that #1 receiver that Harbaugh and Newsome covet."

harbaugh & newsome don't covet #1 receivers; they get rid of them.

"This could be that #1 receiver that Harbaugh and Newsome covet."

harbaugh & newsome don't covet #1 receivers; they get rid of them.

I knew it was just a matter of time. :D

His numbers are slightly down due to injury, which may lower the asking price, it sounds like a great idea, along with getting a rookie receiver in the draft, but it makes too much sense.

Edited by confused fan

Not realistic.

Besides, don't  we have some salary cap issues? How in the wide, wide world of sports are we gonna get him and stay under cap! Any idea what his hit would be! Besides Ozzie just made that statement about restructuring conrtracts!

I'd rather draft a guy than spend what it would take to get AJ!

Not realistic.

Besides, don't  we have some salary cap issues? How in the wide, wide world of sports are we gonna get him and stay under cap! Any idea what his hit would be

$12.1M Second highest on the Texans roster to Shaub

Edited by bmore_ken

obviously, Houston's season was horrible. but it was unexpected horrible. they're considered a good team. it seems strange that either party would want a divorce. I suspect his frustration was more about last season, than it was about being stuck there.

A couple of problems with that.   1) Even despite a bit of a sub-par season he is still regarded as a top 3 WR.  Houston will likely want a good player in return plus high draft choice.  Would you do it for Marlon Brown and a 1st round?     2) The Ravens don't have the cap space to handle his salary without some major clearing.    3) They just got rid of a reciever due to make 6 million this year because they thought it was too much in relation to the cap.  I don't see them going after one that will stretch the cap even more.  I doubt that Johnson is going anywhere.

His numbers are slightly down due to injury, which may lower the asking price, it sounds like a great idea, along with getting a rookie receiver in the draft, but it makes too much sense.

Right.... find a way and get it done. You change the whole complexion of the AFC North when you add Andre Johnson. And then the possibility of drafting a Mike Evans? All of the sudden, look at Flacco's weapons on offense. Johnson... T. Smith.... M. Brown.... M. Evans.... Pitta (if resigned).... :wub:

Of course, if they don't improve at LG, C, RT..... this all won't mean nothing.

Right.... find a way and get it done. You change the whole complexion of the AFC North when you add Andre Johnson. And then the possibility of drafting a Mike Evans? All of the sudden, look at Flacco's weapons on offense. Johnson... T. Smith.... M. Brown.... M. Evans.... Pitta (if resigned).... :wub:

Of course, if they don't improve at LG, C, RT..... this all won't mean nothing.

Doesn't your second paragraph kind of negate the first? There is no way in hell they can afford Johnson, draft a first round WR and still do all the rebuilding on the line that needs to be done. I think they have to go tackle first round if there is a quality tackle on the board.

How about trading for a pro bowl center and RT?

I think they have to go tackle first round if there is a quality tackle on the board.

Yep.

I guess I was just dreaming about Flacco to Johnson.

I guess I was just dreaming about Flacco to Johnson.

I believe that with the right protection, Joe does not need an Andre Johnson. In a perfect world a great O-line AND AJ would be ideal. But we don't live in a perfect world. At this point I'd settle for a decent O-line, a decent OC, decent WRs, and a decent running game. Is THAT asking for too much?

Why not trade for Joe Thomas, Jamaal Charles, Ryan Kalil, Richard Sherman, Luke Kuechly, and Eric Berry while you're at it?

Why not trade for Joe Thomas, Jamaal Charles, Ryan Kalil, Richard Sherman, Luke Kuechly, and Eric Berry while you're at it?

That was sarcastic, right?

Those players aren't unhappy playing where they are. Johnson is.

How about trading for a pro bowl center and RT?

Absolutely. If we don't re-vamp that O line, no receiver in the NFL will make much difference to this team. Job #1 is build a top caliber line...it changes everything and allows Flacco to become as much of a top QB as he is capable of. Oh, and the coaching staff...get us a really good OC, and a super QB coach and Joe may have a chance of getting rid of some of his bad habits too. With real custom tailored coaching there's no telling how much upside Joe has. He has never had the benefit of anything very solid on the coaching side. All you have to do is watch the coaching staff and the interaction style they have with Joe. They let him remain 'lonely Joe'. It's mostly due to ineptitude, and cluelessness I truly believe. And I know joe is no Brady or Manning, but he put it all on his back last year and won...and he has tremendous potential with the skill sets that he does possess. Just need real mentors. Has anybody seen real coaching for Flacco since he joined the team? I can't think of who. He and Cam did not get along a bit...and John is a stranger where Joe and the offense is concerned.

Absolutely. If we don't re-vamp that O line, no receiver in the NFL will make much difference to this team. Job #1 is build a top caliber line...it changes everything and allows Flacco to become as much of a top QB as he is capable of. Oh, and the coaching staff...get us a really good OC, and a super QB coach and Joe may have a chance of getting rid of some of his bad habits too. With real custom tailored coaching there's no telling how much upside Joe has. He has never had the benefit of anything very solid on the coaching side. All you have to do is watch the coaching staff and the interaction style they have with Joe. They let him remain 'lonely Joe'. It's mostly due to ineptitude, and cluelessness I truly believe. And I know joe is no Brady or Manning, but he put it all on his back last year and won...and he has tremendous potential with the skill sets that he does possess. Just need real mentors. Has anybody seen real coaching for Flacco since he joined the team? I can't think of who. He and Cam did not get along a bit...and John is a stranger where Joe and the offense is concerned.

Well...Zorn and Jackson. But that's ancient history now. I hope for Joe's sake they choose more wisely this year than last year. Huff. Spears. Meh.