Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Wow, $30 mil a year for a pitcher!

#3 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

I'm sure many who have been tainted by Angelos and his cheapness will be on here soon saying how stupid the Dodgers are to spend that kind of money.  Well this how much stars cost in 2014.  This is not 1993.  It costs big time money due to supply and demand to sign these guys and the Orioles are way behind the times.  We will never ever sign a big time pitcher or hitter with this mindset. 

Instead we go dumpster diving for guys who had a good season a few years ago and has been waiting tables at TGI Fridays recently

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

in 5 full seasons, he's already won 2 CY awards. he nearly won a 3rd, and he has a 2.60 career ERA. it's amazing.

of course, the sabermetrics gang will tell you that he's only a good pitcher, not great, because his WHIP is 1.093.  :huh:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

I'm sure many who have been tainted by Angelos and his cheapness will be on here soon saying how stupid the Dodgers are to spend that kind of money.  Well this how much stars cost in 2014.  This is not 1993.  It costs big time money due to supply and demand to sign these guys and the Orioles are way behind the times.  We will never ever sign a big time pitcher or hitter with this mindset. 

Instead we go dumpster diving for guys who had a good season a few years ago and has been waiting tables at TGI Fridays recently

I like the dumpster diving, scrap heap moves. there's nothing wrong with finding a bargain. the O's went into october- 2012 riding the arms of those types of pitchers.

but I agree with your overall thoughts. you're not likely to win it all, or even be a regular contender if all you're doing is shopping in the scratched and dent section. 2013 proved that.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

I like the dumpster diving, scrap heap moves. there's nothing wrong with finding a bargain. the O's went into october- 2012 riding the arms of those types of pitchers.

but I agree with your overall thoughts. you're not likely to win it all, or even be a regular contender if all you're doing is shopping in the scratched and dent section. 2013 proved that.

2013 showed us exactly what we already knew. 2012 was a statistical anomaly.   Winning all those 1 run and extra inning ball games.  It was a freak event and sadly had our hopes raised to high for the future.

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,806 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

2013 showed us exactly what we already knew. 2012 was a statistical anomaly.   Winning all those 1 run and extra inning ball games.  It was a freak event and sadly had our hopes raised to high for the future.

I remember back then when those of us who had that opinion were being called non fans

Edited by bmore_ken, 16 January 2014 - 10:23 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

I remember back then when those of us who had that opinion were being called non fans

you fakey fan  :P

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

I disagree. the O's were in contention well into Sept last season. they almost made the playoffs again. the problem was that they lost Chen for a couple of months, and played patchwork quilting games rather than commit to replacing him immediately. Wasting some additional starts on Arrietta was another bad decision. add to that, the fact that they were the only AL team to play 4 months without a DH.

that was the problem with 2013, not the irrelevant 1 run game record.

#10 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Everyone knew it was mostly a fluke; but I must say I did enjoy the ride!

-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

I disagree. the O's were in contention well into Sept last season. they almost made the playoffs again. the problem was that they lost Chen for a couple of months, and played patchwork quilting games rather than commit to replacing him immediately. Wasting some additional starts on Arrietta was another bad decision. add to that, the fact that they were the only AL team to play 4 months without a DH.

that was the problem with 2013, not the irrelevant 1 run game record.

And what exactly have they done to help that DH and pitching situation??  You can make excuses for the team all you want, but every team has injuries and personnel issues every year. 

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,806 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

And what exactly have they done to help that DH and pitching situation??  You can make excuses for the team all you want, but every team has injuries and personnel issues every year. 

And when your line up is thin already, you can't just weather that stuff. You have to make moves. Weird-o is right. Too much time was wasted waiting on Arrieta to figure it out, trotting out Freddie Garcia, etc. They should have actually made a move on a starter prior to the start of last season. And the trend continues as this year's team is already weaker than last year's

Edited by bmore_ken, 16 January 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#13 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

And when your line up is thin already, you can't just weather that stuff. You have to make moves. Weird-o is right. Too much time was wasted waiting on Arrieta to figure it out, trotting out Freddie Garcia, etc. They should have actually made a move on a starter prior to the start of last season. And the trend continues as this year's team is already weaker than last year's

Thats my point, DH and starting pitching was a known issue going into 2013 season, they did the same exact thing then they are doing now.  Dumpster diving, then it was Jurgens and Garcia

Edited by Oriole-Bob, 16 January 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

easy, there's no need to be crass. we weren't talking about the upcoming 2014 season, we were talking about 2013. asking me what they did in improve after 2013 is a totally different conversation. and I don't need to answer that question, you know what they've done. words like zilch come to mind.

as for calling be an excuse maker, you don't know who you're talking to, I can assure you of that. because if you did, you would never pin that title to me. the 2013 O's team was built to compete, and they did. losing your #2 starter hurts any team. that's not an excuse, that reality. there was an 8 game swing between the 2012 & 2013 records. Wei Yin missed 10 starts, he would have won 5 of those. by adding a real starting pitcher to replace him, and leaving Arietta in the BP, the O's would have come up with the 3 additional wins needed to match their 2012 record. that puts them in the playoffs.  

Edited by weird-O, 16 January 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#15 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Can't a man lie to himself?  :(

#16 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

That maybe the best contract ever in professional sports. Think about it, he performs maybe once s week. Does not matter if it is five, six or seven innings. that is amazing. Can you imagine how much a Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson would be worth in their prime?

#17 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:09 AM

easy, there's no need to be crass. we weren't talking about the upcoming 2014 season, we were talking about 2013. asking me what they did in improve after 2013 is a totally different conversation. and I don't need to answer that question, you know what they've done. words like zilch come to mind.

as for calling be an excuse maker, you don't know who you're talking to, I can assure you of that. because if you did, you would never pin that title to me. the 2013 O's team was built to compete, and they did. losing your #2 starter hurts any team. that's not an excuse, that reality. there was an 8 game swing between the 2012 & 2013 records. Wei Yin missed 10 starts, he would have won 5 of those. by adding a real starting pitcher to replace him, and leaving Arietta in the BP, the O's would have come up with the 3 additional wins needed to match their 2012 record. that puts them in the playoffs.  

The 2013 team was built to compete??  With no DH?? Yeah I guess if Dan forgot his team was in the American League that team was built to compete lol   Every team in baseball has injuries, having depth in your farm system to make up for those injuries is being built to compete, not having to go out mid season and find scraps to fill up your rotation.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

The 2013 team was built to compete??  With no DH?? Yeah I guess if Dan forgot his team was in the American League that team was built to compete lol   Every team in baseball has injuries, having depth in your farm system to make up for those injuries is being built to compete, not having to go out mid season and find scraps to fill up your rotation.

you're arguing about the O's competitiveness in 2013 as if it's a matter of opinion. it's not. it's a fact that they were a competitive team. you can say they weren't, but you're wrong. that's like opining that Tom Glavine isn't a HOF worthy pitcher. it ceased to be a matter of opinion, the moment he surpassed the required 75% of the vote.      

#19 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,806 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

The 2013 team was built to compete??  With no DH??

Did you watch at all during the season? They were in it until the last week of the season. That's called competing

#20 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Did you watch at all during the season? They were in it until the last week of the season. That's called competing

I'm glad you chimed in. I thought maybe I was confused and wasn't understanding what he was saying. I'm relieved that it's not me.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users