29 replies to this topic

#1 regularguy

regularguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,174 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Oh noooooo!

Former Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has interviewed to be the Ravens offensive coordinator, according to several reports, and confirmed by CSN-Baltimore.

(Link.)

#2 DJGreg1200

DJGreg1200

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,466 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

I think Shanahan will end up getting the job. Castillo can bully him into having more influence on the offense. I don't think he could do that with Kubiak.

#3 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,977 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

He's not bullying Kyle. That man's ego enters the room about five minutes before he does.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#4 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

It's just the ongoing sad state of affairs with our Ravens. Hijacked by Harbaugh, and run like a little family business. I will be shocked if a strong, stand-up OC gets the nod. Lyly or Hostler fit perfectly into the yes-man organization that John has built. Where the heck is Bisciotti! They are frittering away time, and will lose the really good candidates...and end up having to choose from the weakest, and least exciting of the candidates. Did we expect anything better? How come other teams can make these decisions...quickly and efficiently??? Maybe because there is not a Harbaugh in the HC role. I sure hope I am wrong, but I smell more Cameron, Caldwell, Mattison,...kinds of solutions coming our way.

#5 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

It's just the ongoing sad state of affairs with our Ravens. Hijacked by Harbaugh, and run like a little family business. I will be shocked if a strong, stand-up OC gets the nod. Lyly or Hostler fit perfectly into the yes-man organization that John has built. Where the heck is Bisciotti! They are frittering away time, and will lose the really good candidates...and end up having to choose from the weakest, and least exciting of the candidates. Did we expect anything better? How come other teams can make these decisions...quickly and efficiently??? Maybe because there is not a Harbaugh in the HC role. I sure hope I am wrong, but I smell more Cameron, Caldwell, Mattison,...kinds of solutions coming our way.

Sorry for the typo...I meant Kyle or Hostler fit perfectly.........

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

putting aside all personal opinions about the coaching staff for a minute, here's what we know. SB is a supporter of Harbs. so he isn't going to pick Harb's coaches. the owner should never do that. when the owner starts meddling like that, the pool of future HCs gets reduced by any self respecting candidate with a track record of success. retreads and 1st timers will always jump at a HC job, but the proven winners won't walk into that type of situation. no one wants to work for a Danny Snyder type. also, if Harbs turns out to be a failure who was only riding the coattails of great players, he will be out by the end of the 2015 season, if not sooner, and so will his coaching staff.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

putting aside all personal opinions about the coaching staff for a minute, here's what we know. SB is a supporter of Harbs. so he isn't going to pick Harb's coaches. the owner should never do that. when the owner starts meddling like that, the pool of future HCs gets reduced by any self respecting candidate with a track record of success. retreads and 1st timers will always jump at a HC job, but the proven winners won't walk into that type of situation. no one wants to work for a Danny Snyder type. also, if Harbs turns out to be a failure who was only riding the coattails of great players, he will be out by the end of the 2015 season, if not sooner, and so will his coaching staff.   

Hmmmm...I don't know about all that. There are exactly THIRTY TWO NFL head coaches in the world. Not only that, but I'm not sure any of them are all that ethical to begin with. Egotistical? Yes. Ethical to the point of turning down Dan Snyder's to be in the club? I doubt it.

As far as Harbaugh goes (Do his FRIENDS or FAMILY even call him "Harbs"? So where do all these internet folks come off with that? Okay. "Harbs" rant officially over.) it remains to be seen how long he's here. I suspect, with no glee whatsoever, he'll be here long after 2015. I hope I'm wrong.

#8 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

Hmmmm...I don't know about all that. There are exactly THIRTY TWO NFL head coaches in the world. Not only that, but I'm not sure any of them are all that ethical to begin with. Egotistical? Yes. Ethical to the point of turning down Dan Snyder's to be in the club? I doubt it.

As far as Harbaugh goes (Do his FRIENDS or FAMILY even call him "Harbs"? So where do all these internet folks come off with that? Okay. "Harbs" rant officially over.) it remains to be seen how long he's here. I suspect, with no glee whatsoever, he'll be here long after 2015. I hope I'm wrong.

I fear you may be right OCF. It all comes from the top, and if you really want to get down to it, maybe our owner is either not quite as much the critical analytic thinker we presume, or maybe he values stability, loyalty, and a collegial atmosphere more than winning. The organization may already have become a clone of Steve's persona...not just John's. If that's the case, we may have John and his family network around a lot longer than 2015...regardless of our team performance.

#9 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:18 AM

I fear you may be right OCF. It all comes from the top, and if you really want to get down to it, maybe our owner is either not quite as much the critical analytic thinker we presume, or maybe he values stability, loyalty, and a collegial atmosphere more than winning. The organization may already have become a clone of Steve's persona...not just John's. If that's the case, we may have John and his family network around a lot longer than 2015...regardless of our team performance.

You have to bear in mind...the NFL is all about money. And not unlike the stock market, where brokers get paid regardless, NFL owners rake in the revenue regardless of whether they win or lose. There are a lot of stadiums around the league that aren't full, but the big money comes from TV revenue. And it's all shared amongst the 32 owners. So what real incentive is there for a guy like Brown, who is frequently many millions under the cap, to shell out more money? Just think about this for a second. Let's say Brown was $50M under the cap for 10 years. Dude...that's 1/2 billion dollars! Maybe HE'S the one who's smart, and everybody else is stupid.

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

You have to bear in mind...the NFL is all about money. And not unlike the stock market, where brokers get paid regardless, NFL owners rake in the revenue regardless of whether they win or lose. There are a lot of stadiums around the league that aren't full, but the big money comes from TV revenue. And it's all shared amongst the 32 owners. So what real incentive is there for a guy like Brown, who is frequently many millions under the cap, to shell out more money? Just think about this for a second. Let's say Brown was $50M under the cap for 10 years. Dude...that's 1/2 billion dollars! Maybe HE'S the one who's smart, and everybody else is stupid.

typing John Harbaugh takes more key strokes. I think the reason "Harbs" bothers you is because you seem to despise all things related to the man.  :D

as for my other opinion, I wasn't thinking about it from an ethical standpoint. it's more about autonomy. I've never really kept count, but it seems like there are usually multiple HC jobs that open up each January. If a scenario developed where a respected HC with a successful track record became available, I can't imagine he would chose to work for an overbearing tyrant, with a precedent for stripping away his HC's decision making privileges, when he could work for an owner who is smart enough to realize that success in business doesn't mean you know how to coach a pro sports team.

and the nice thing about being a HC in the nfl is this, once you're in the club, you pretty much have some sort of job for life. and if there aren't any appealing jobs this January, you can be sure there will be a few new ones next January. and taking a year off isn't unusual or a career killer.       

Edited by weird-O, 17 January 2014 - 07:57 AM.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#11 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

typing John Harbaugh takes more key strokes. I think the reason "Harbs" bothers you is because you seem to despise all things related to the man.  :D

as for my other opinion, I wasn't thinking about it from an ethical standpoint. it's more about autonomy. I've never really kept count, but it seems like there are usually multiple HC jobs that open up each January. If a scenario developed where a respected HC with a successful track record became available, I can't imagine he would chose to work for an overbearing tyrant, with a precedent for stripping away his HC's decision making privileges, when he could work for an owner who is smart enough to realize that success in business doesn't mean you know how to coach a pro sports team.

and the nice thing about being a HC in the nfl is this, once you're in the club, you pretty much have some sort of job for life. and if there aren't any appealing jobs this January, you can be sure there will be a few new ones next January. and taking a year off isn't unusual or a career killer.       

It's not that I despise the man; rather, those who have no contact with him, and never will, who somehow, through the magic of the internet, make themselves his long lost buddies/familiars, is all.

;)

Now...to the REST of the story...

Once in a while a head coach will avoid a certain situation, but from what I've seen (Schottenheimer, etc.) it usually has to do with the amount of control offered, not the team's owner or anything else, except maybe for money. Schotty (see what I did there?) is on record as saying that he has no interest in taking a HC position that doesn't ALSO offer close to full GM control. That's definitely reality. The other stuff...I don't know. ALL NFL owners are powerful men who are, most likely, used to getting their way. If every potential head coach kept crossing owner names off their list, the already small list of 32 would get that much smaller.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 17 January 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

It's not that I despise the man; rather, those who have no contact with him, and never will, who somehow, through the magic of the internet, make themselves his long lost buddies/familiars, is all.

;)

Now...to the REST of the story...

Once in a while a head coach will avoid a certain situation, but from what I've seen (Schottenheimer, etc.) it usually has to do with the amount of control offered, not the team's owner or anything else, except maybe for money. Schotty (see what I did there?) is on record as saying that he has no interest in taking a HC position that doesn't ALSO offer close to full GM control. That's definitely reality. The other stuff...I don't know. ALL NFL owners are powerful men who are, most likely, used to getting their way. If every potential head coach kept crossing owner names off their list, the already small list of 32 would get that much smaller.

fair enough  :)

#13 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

fair enough  :)

I like the fact that we can discuss different opinions intelligently, civilly, and even toss in some humor now and again.

Props.

#14 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

In regards to Kyle being OC when I first heard it I was like oh no. After hearing more about him it actually may be a good fit. From what I have heard he was OC for Texans when they had a top 5 offense for those 2 years. In DC last year Skins offense was very good and this year they were even top 10, again from what I heard. What I do know is his offense of style meshes with Juan's zone blocking scheme well as that is the scheme that they ran in Houston that got Foster paid and also what they ran in DC with Alfred Morris. Not only that he worked for his dad which is an egomaniac so if Harbs is like that, which many people believe, he will fall in place as he is used to that.

I thought Norv should be the guy but after thinking it through I doubt that Cleveland would allow permission for the Ravens to interview him if they requested because they are in the same division

Edited by Dub, 17 January 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

I like the fact that we can discuss different opinions intelligently, civilly, and even toss in some humor now and again.

Props.

thanks OCF, me too. ;)  

#16 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,977 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

In regards to Kyle being OC when I first heard it I was like oh no. After hearing more about him it actually may be a good fit. From what I have heard he was OC for Texans when they had a top 5 offense for those 2 years. In DC last year Skins offense was very good and this year they were even top 10, again from what I heard. What I do know is his offense of style meshes with Juan's zone blocking scheme well as that is the scheme that they ran in Houston that got Foster paid and also what they ran in DC with Alfred Morris. Not only that he worked for his dad which is an egomaniac so if Harbs is like that, which many people believe, he will fall in place as he is used to that.

I thought Norv should be the guy but after thinking it through I doubt that Cleveland would allow permission for the Ravens to interview him if they requested because they are in the same division

The issue with him is his predictability. Teams this year said they knew what plays the Redskins were running before they ran them. He also has a horribly habit of taking something that is working and changing it before it stops working. The biggest thing the read option did last year was cover up Kyle's ineptitude.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#17 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

Kyle would have to take orders from Harbaugh. He might not be use to that. He messed up RG she but did well with Matt S. in Houston.

Edited by johnpolitics, 26 January 2014 - 02:52 PM.

#18 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:07 AM

The issue with him is his predictability. Teams this year said they knew what plays the Redskins were running before they ran them. He also has a horribly habit of taking something that is working and changing it before it stops working. The biggest thing the read option did last year was cover up Kyle's ineptitude.

"Predictability?"  The Ravens offense practically invented that word.  He would be right at home with John Harbaugh.  But don't worry, after Jim Hostler gets the job, Kyle can sit back, reflect on what might have happened, take a deep breath and enjoy his one year out of football.  Just from a stress standpoint, he was spared a lot of punishment here in Baltimore.

#19 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

"Predictability?"  The Ravens offense practically invented that word.  He would be right at home with John Harbaugh.  But don't worry, after Jim Hostler gets the job, Kyle can sit back, reflect on what might have happened, take a deep breath and enjoy his one year out of football.  Just from a stress standpoint, he was spared a lot of punishment here in Baltimore.

Baltimore....the place where offenses die.

#20 TigerBlood

TigerBlood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

Rumor has it that Shanny is being considered as the next Offensive Coordinator in Cleveland.  Harbaugh will probably drag this out a couple of more days and then the Browns will sweep in and scoop him up.  He will then only be left with Hostler, the guy he really wanted all along.   I mean why in God's name is this process taking this long?  Most of the up and coming offensive minds were swept up while Harbaugh continues to play this thing out.  I have to think he is running an end around on Bisciotti, Ozzie,  and DeCosta so he can get his man.  "Geez Mr. Bisciotti, I really liked Kyle Shanahan but those sneaky Browns beat me too it." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users