• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 afan

afan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

A proud program that is used to being on top is back there again. In these past few years it has only been a so so years of wrestling for the Mount as other teams took over in their place but once again the Mount is where it should be. Probably one of the greatest runs in HS sports from the early 70's to the mid 90's these Gaels teams have been only average lately. Now with a new coach in Harry Barnaebae (sp) we see a new energy happening. Paul Tripplet took these Gaels for 10 years and made them a powerhouse. Before him Aldelberg and Smith coached and began the dynasty. Tripplett came back and now it is Barnabae who leads them. I know I have misspelled their names but you all get who I mean. Great wrestlers of yesteryear, the Schmidt's, Hefner's, Chiperelli's Reina's, Barnabee's, Salvo's, Shaw's and many others are long gone and now we see new young studs taking over. If ever a school has been dominate in a HS sport in this country, MSJ can stand with the best. For decades no one was better and today they just maybe starting a new dynasty.

http://www.baltimore...0,1030971.story

Edited by afan, 20 January 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#2 nomad974

nomad974

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

MSJ has a solid history on the mat.  However to say "For decades no one was better...", is a bit of a strectch, unless you are speaking in terms of Baltimore only.  Statewide, Bullis, DeMatha, Old Mill & Damascus come to mind in the past few decades.  Heck this year alone, I have McDonogh & Good Counsel ahead of MSJ.

Regardless, its good to hear and see solid articles about the great sport of wrestling  :-)

#3 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

i have to congratulate MSJ on getting back on top the right way. Brought back an alum to head the program, and built a junior league program in Catonsville to feed them (MSJ Titans), built terrific new facilities. all are pluses in the program building world. They didn't rely on personal coaches, bringing in out of state boarders, or wholesale transfers to get good. 

By the way my money is on them to beat McDonogh in the dual meet. Probably don't have the studs to win the tournament, but are more solid as a team then the Eagles. I also think Good Council has peaked and is on the decline. 

#4 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

Great job Harry. Its interesting to point out that by running the MSJ TItans, Harry and his staff get to see most of the best youth wrestlers in the State. Nothing like spending time at youth meets to assess who the good wrestlers and more importantly good kids are.... Sparky, do your Don football and basketball coaching staffs spend requisite time scouring the youth leagues for the talent they need to rebuild their programs? Me thinks not..........

#5 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Can't tell you much MOP about how much scouting or recruiting they do at loyola, I guess it would be about the same as the other privates. I don't hear about all-stars going there but a growing number of solid athletes who may or not make an impact. But what is impressive about the MSJ efforts is that they actually built something. They created a junior league team where there had been none. they did not just cherry pick others good work with the youth leagues they started and support a new opportunity for the boys. 

#6 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

When you're recruiting, frankly money (especially in the era of partial scholarships) is secondary to building relationships. You can't build relationships if you're not there can you? Its the difference between a calling and a job......

Edited by mop, 22 January 2014 - 05:38 PM.

#7 Underseige

Underseige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

I lived in Md from the early 70's to the late 90's. I must correct someone on here. The MSJ wrestling team was either number 1 or 2 for years. They did win over 20 MSA crowns in that time but also several National Prep Tourney's to boot. Many of the great teams wrestled in that tourney. Bullis Prep, Loyola, etc and MSJ was always near the top. Getting to other area teams. MSJ beat Broadneck when the were the best in AA County. Beat Riverside or Riverdale Baptist in Howard County when they were the best. Beat Gilman, Beat EVt and others when the were the best along with Southwestern, Old Mill and Chesapeake. Won many Annapolis and Chesapeake championships and always went out of state to compete with the best like Blair Academy and The Hill School. I believe they only lost 10 dual meets in a 15 year period Many of those 10 were from other state schools. This tradition MSJ had was for real. I would say they went against the top 10 teams in the state for over 20 years and came away with victory 99% of the time. Lastly on this matter, I bet if they did go back from 1972 til 1993 you would find no school ever won so much in the whole country let alone Md or DC than MSJ did at this time.

#8 nomad974

nomad974

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

There was a 5 or 6 year strecth in the 80's where Bullis was top dog in the state.   There was 4 year strech in the mid to late 90's where DeMatha was the best in the state.  Old Mill even toped MSJ's a few  times in the early 90's.   Ill give MSJ the 70's, although there is room for debate as thier sched as very Baltimore-centric (outside of Natl Preps)

MSJ was/is good, really good.  But its not like they ran roughshot over the state for 20+ yrs as some are suggesting, no need to embelish.

Edited by nomad974, 23 January 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#9 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

There was a 5 or 6 year strecth in the 80's where Bullis was top dog in the state.   There was 4 year strech in the mid to late 90's where DeMatha was the best in the state.  Old Mill even toped MSJ's a few  times in the early 90's.   Ill give MSJ the 70's, although there is room for debate as thier sched as very Baltimore-centric (outside of Natl Preps)

MSJ was/is good, really good.  But its not like they ran roughshot over the state for 20+ yrs as some are suggesting, no need to embelish.

I graduated from Gilman in 91' and outside of sharing the MSA title with Gilman once when I was at Gilman and I believe they year before, MSJ was definitely top Dawg n the state. I can't speak of a 20 yr period but close to a decade they had the best program. Old Mill always had a very good program but during my time they weren't better than MSJ.

#10 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

According to this link they were dominate for a long time

http://www.wrestling...CORDS, 1935.pdf

#11 nomad974

nomad974

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

I graduated from Gilman in 91' and outside of sharing the MSA title with Gilman once when I was at Gilman and I believe they year before, MSJ was definitely top Dawg n the state. I can't speak of a 20 yr period but close to a decade they had the best program. Old Mill always had a very good program but during my time they weren't better than MSJ.

MSA titles were nice but National Prep and MIS titles were/are better.  MSJ has had all 3 but its not like the won every year in the 80's & 90's.  The link RM7 posted above cleary shows Bullis & Dematha were at least as dominant during those decades.  I pretty sure Old Mill beat MSJ at either the Chesapeake or Annapolis tourny in '90 & '91....maybe even in '92

According to this link they were dominate for a long time

http://www.wrestling...CORDS, 1935.pdf

Dominaint.....in the 70's.  Bullis was at least on par in the 80's (maybe even better, depending on who you talk too).   DeMatha absolutly ruled the 90's

Edited by nomad974, 23 January 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#12 aok

aok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Let me just say this from about 1984 to 1992 MSJ was king of the hill. I know for a fact they were top dog from 87 to 91 as they won the Catholic Tourney, Annapolis tourney and Chesapeake Tourneys those years. They won a Natinal Prep tourney as well and came in 2nd 3 of those 4 years. I know they beat teams like Southwestern when they were number 2 in the state and Broadneck when they were number 2. MSJ took over the number 1 spot after beating them. As for Old Mill the MSJ team beat them all four years I spoke about in these years and Bullis was beaten head to head by them in 90 and 91. In 91 as a matter of fact the MSJ coach outsmarted the Bullis coach by forfeiting the 89 match and than having his 189 guy move up and pin the hwgt of Bullis. I know this because I dated a guy from MSJ and he wrestled for them. I went to all ther matches and met some nice people. I think a lady they called Mom has been going to their matches since the 70's and she never missed a match or tourney. Yes all you people may think your teams were better but MSJ was that good for years not just 4 or 5.

#13 aok

aok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

5 National Prep Championships from the late 70's to early 90's That says it all.3 in 5 years. Not to shabby... I really would love to find outy their in state record during theses years. I hear they only lost like 6 dual meets in all those years in state.

#14 nomad974

nomad974

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

Old Mill finally gets handle on St. Joe (1990)

http://articles.balt...yman-gaels-mill

Couldnt find the article for the 1991 Annapolis Tournament but Old Mill definatly won that.  Old Mill was ranked #1 in the state by the MSWA for at least 4 straight years, 90-93.

Bullis won 4 straight National Prep titles from 84-87

DeMatha won 4 straight National Prep titles from 95-98

Edited by nomad974, 24 January 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#15 tkr

tkr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

http://articles.balt...mattson-schafer

Top-ranked Mount St. Joseph captured five individual championships and went on to win its 22nd consecutive MIAA (or MSA) title. This is enough for me. Others may have had good runs but this lone achievement is enough for me to believe no matter how one puts it, this was extraordinaire.

Edited by tkr, 25 January 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#16 tkr

tkr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

By the way this was 1997 so take 22 away and this makes MSJ the best in the MSA and MIAA from 1975 til than. I think they took on all comers both instate and out of state. I know they beat teams head to head in many years that were ranked number 2. No matter how you put it this included the likes of Gilman, Curley, Poly, Dematha, City, Dunbar, Patterson and some 125 other school teams in the Baltimore City area and surrounding area's Calvert Hall was no sleeper , Southwestern was the best in the public schools from 1988 to 91 so I don't know how Old Mill was ranked highe. Chesapeake was also a high ranked team as was Loyola, McDonaugh and Bulis.

By the way eventhough Old Mill finally beat St Joe. MSJ won that tourney several years in a row and lost by 6 points this year. A week before they beat Old MIll in a dual Meet so head to head they were better

Edited by tkr, 25 January 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#17 tkr

tkr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

22 years and I think it was 23 actually. Now that is something no other wrestling team can get close to. Enough said.

#18 tkr

tkr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

Old Mill finally gets handle on St. Joe (1990)

http://articles.balt...yman-gaels-mill

Couldnt find the article for the 1991 Annapolis Tournament but Old Mill definatly won that.  Old Mill was ranked #1 in the state by the MSWA for at least 4 straight years, 90-93.

Bullis won 4 straight National Prep titles from 84-87

DeMatha won 4 straight National Prep titles from 95-98

Sad but true Old Mill had one wrestler out with a broken arm. MSJ had Mack a winner than a loser, go figure. They also were without Reina who hurt his knee in the semi's after being on top the first two periods. Reed who moved down took out a MSJ wrestler early who would have given them more points. Veal was at one time one of the best wrestlers around and lost his edge after this loss . Later in the Senior tourney Mack beat Eveleth (sp) and Layman beat Reina by a ref's decision because Reina locked hands with 5 seconds to go. The light weights belonged to MSJ while the middleweights belonged to Old Mill. Naegle was a stud for MSJ this year and was also out after hurting his shoulder in the quarters. He for sure would have made it to the finals . He took the National Prep title later that year. Laverti was also a no show for MSJ I think he was also hurt that week but not sure. He was a stud at 112. Well enough said....I still say no matter how you shape it ,it is hard to win 23 titles in a row. Old Mill dominated the AA Schools but always had Broadneck and even Northeast give them trouble. Severna Park was tough in the early 80's anf Riverdale Baptist was Howard Counties King of the Hill from 88 til the 90's. 

I do think you are mistaken about 90 and 91 as MSJ beat them in dial meets

Edited by tkr, 25 January 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#19 nomad974

nomad974

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Southwestern was the best in the public schools from 1988 to 91 so I don't know how Old Mill was ranked highe. Chesapeake was also a high ranked team as was Loyola, McDonaugh and Bulis.

Because Baltimore city did not participate in the MPSSAA state Tourny until '93 or '94. And I do believe Southwestern folded their program (temporarily) in the 89-90 season. Southwestern's run was strong, but very MSA/Baltimore centric.  At that time there were only 2 maybe 3 tourny's where you saw strong Baltimore vs "the rest of the state"  matchups

Below are the state rankings (team & individual) from January 1991 (which Old Mill stayed at top of for a minimum of 3yrs.  Im leaning towards 4)

http://articles.balt...g-oakland-mills

Below are the state team rankings for February 1992

http://i11.photobuck...zps539d4aa1.jpg

Edited by nomad974, 28 January 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#20 afan

afan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

What we fail to see are the final rankings for the year. During the 89 year Broadneck was ranked along with Old Mill Gilman and MSJ as the top teams. EVt was even ranked. Southwestern was a beast and was stacked but in the early 90's their coach was found to be recruiting kids and lost his job. Southwestern lost to MSJ as did Broadneck. Old Mill was not and I repeat number 1 at the end of 89, 90  as they also lost that ranking to MSJ after defeats in tourney's. All these teams may have been number one at some point in those years but in the end MSJ was King. Now if you want to compare stats, I also think 23 years of winning a championship speaks volumes. Teams may be great for 4,5,6 years but to dominate ,no matter how one puts it, to dominate a sport for this long is special. Okay let's hypothetically say MSJ was 1st for 2 years, 2nd for 3, 3rd for 5 and 10th in the state for 3 etc etc etc. Should that not make the case MSJ is special. To do what they did is special.Give them credit, they deserve it and earned it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users