• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:54 AM

I honestly dont know how good they will be in 2014 but Coach DT, and Sills must have a good idea based on the teams so far on their schedule...

St Peters (NJ)
@St Edwards (OH)
Calvert Hall
Friendship Collegiate
St Frances
@?Paramus(NJ)
@Goose Creek (SC)

@Coppell High (TX) 

#2 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

I honestly dont know how good they will be in 2014 but Coach DT, and Sills must have a good idea based on the teams so far on their schedule...

St Peters (NJ)[/size]@St Edwards (OH)[/size]Calvert Hall[/size]Friendship Collegiate[/size]St Frances[/size]@?Paramus(NJ)[/size]@Goose Creek (SC)[/size]
@Coppell High (TX) 

Coppell is the real deal! Was a great team last year. Looking at their roster, seems like they lose a lot of seniors but it's is Texas in Texas. No matter how good ECA might be next season, this is a DIFFERENT WORLD and on another level of football. Very commendable to take this game. Paramus will be weak next year, St. Edward will be their second toughest game.

#3 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Goose Creek will be very good as well....  It will be very interesting to see ECA's make up next year..  It will be the first year Sills wont have Canteen out there since Middle School... Also without Craemer and Tucker two guys he has been familiar with since 8th grade.  Herr was a 4 year starter at left tackle as well... Actually I don't even know who will be the receivers next year..  Most of the kids I knew have cycled out but I am sure it won't be a problem finding Sill's guys to throw too..

Edited by harcohorns, 22 January 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#4 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

Sorry guys, should have said NOTHING has been signed as of yet so anything can happen...

ECA will always have always have someone for Sills to throw to if anything else

#5 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

They certainly have a great track record of getting their WR's into college..  Now that I think about it all 4 starting WR's for the 2011/12  Red Lion team (sophs and freshmen at the time) went to D1 schools as WR's..   Shorts (WVU),  Bradley (UCONN), Creamer (Tenn) ,  Canteen (Mich)

#6 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

Not to mention Bradley And Shorts Started Atleast 3 games, Shorts starting every single one... And being a big part of the offense...

Shorts and Swallwood are maentioned by the head coach in a few articles that they will both be key prices to the O next year.

#7 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Shorts broke the WVU receptions by a freshman record with 45 grabs..

#8 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:30 AM

It seems like Sills has been in high school for 10-years.  Wasn't he a freshman schoolboy with Tavon Austin and Mike Campanaro.  :)

#9 love of the game

love of the game

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

It seems like Sills has been in high school for 10-years.  Wasn't he a freshman schoolboy with Tavon Austin and Mike Campanaro.  :)

The young man is 17.

#10 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

I think that was tongue-in-cheek.  It does seem like Sills has been playing for a very long time or he has been talked about for so many years as a grade school player.

#11 Rob A.

Rob A.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

The young man is 17.

But next year he will be a 5th year varsity player! IJS and I know he played Varsity as an 8th grader.

#12 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

St. Ignatius (OH) is looking for 3 games still: Coach Chuck Kyle's Wildcats now have three openings for 2014 - Weeks 3, 4 and 6. Rory is burning the midnight oil trying to fill those dates. Under the OHSAA football playoff system, you must have at least eight regular season games in order to be part of the postseason computer qualifying system.

#13 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

But next year he will be a 5th year varsity player! IJS and I know he played Varsity as an 8th grader.

You make a good point - it's public knowledge that he played for Red Lion's varsity as an 8th grader, so this year would indeed be his 5th season of playing varsity football:

http://www.maxpreps....in-delaware.htm

Since the following MPSSAA rule would appear to limit students to playing 4 seasons of eligibility in any one sport, how is he eligible to play next year?:

.02  Eligibility

Student eligibility for participation in interscholastic athletics at the high school level shall be based on the following criteria:

D.     Students may participate in interscholastic athletic contests for a maximum of three seasons in any one sport in grades 10, 11, and 12. Students who participate on an interscholastic team in grade 9 will have a maximum athletic eligibility of four seasons in that one sport.

#14 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

He would not be eligible to play any MPSSAA or MIAA schools as a fifth year varsity athlete. 

#15 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Gilly I checked into this when we went to Red Lion and my son was put on the High School team as an 8th grader as well.  Before I allowed it I checked to make sure if in the event we moved back to Maryland he would not lose a year of eligibility as a High School student.. Because it is legal in DE it would not count if a DE kid moved to Md... the 4 year eligibility only pertains to High School students... Sills would be eligible grades 9-12 even if he went to a  Md public school the 8th grade year does not count against the 4 years. MPSSAA has no jurisdiction of middle school students..

#16 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

FYI.. The ECA vs Coppell TX game is a go for Sept.  14th

Edited by harcohorns, 29 January 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#17 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

The student has only 4 years possible to play varsity. it is pretty clear. 

http://www.mpssaa.or...1 Handbook.pdf 

the MPSSAA handbook page 21 rule d. 

Many years ago this rule was put into place because a "rogue" high school/homeschool collective known as PCA Progressive Christian Academy was allowing 7-8th graders to wrestle in high school events with public schools. 

I think the new rule is pretty clear. A boy or girl gets four bites of the varsity apple before they turn 19 on Aug 31. 

Edited by sparky1, 29 January 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#18 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Correct - and to be sanctioned by the MPSSAA as a "Non-Member Schools Verified in Compliance with the Standards of Competition", didn't they have to abide by the MPSSAA's Standards of Competition, including the following?:

10. High school team members who are registered in and represent a nongraded school or are home instructed pursuant to the requirements of COMAR 13A.10.01, shall not have participated in

interscholastic athletic contests for more than a maximum of four seasons in any one sport between the ages of 13 and 19.

If that's the case, how can they verify compliance with the above standard?  And if they aren't sanctioned by the MPSSAA, aren't they going to have problems scheduling out of state opponents like they did a year ago?

#19 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Like I said the 8th grade year in DE does not count because he was not in High School and it wasn't in MD.  (It doesn't matter that he played Varsity or not because he was not a High School student).. I verified this trust me... Obviously no 8th graders can even play on a High School team Md so there is no provisions written for it.. MPSSAA rules only apply to High School students... In fact he could have played on the HS team 6th 7th and 8th grade and none of those years would count towards 4 years of High School eligibility..

Edited by harcohorns, 29 January 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#20 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Harco, that does not make sense. MPSSAA governs high school athletics. how can they sanction the sport (football) unless they can sanction the athlete (high school student). The fact that it was out of state makes no difference. the boy was a varsity athlete for four years already. . .  It is flat out unfair to have a fifth year of eligibilty. . .  that is what post grad schools are for. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users