• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

They can't even commit to a minor league salary because it's too rich for the little troll's blood.

http://m.espn.go.com...toryId=10335532
The kids are alright.

#2 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,889 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

We are right back to the Orioles.... pre-2012.

I would not be surprised if we finish in last place.

#3 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,694 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

We are right back to the Orioles.... pre-2012.

I would not be surprised if we finish in last place.

I just feel bad for all of the players in place.
This team is very talented, and just missing a couple of pieces to put them over the top.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#4 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,889 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:28 AM

I just feel bad for all of the players in place.
This team is very talented, and just missing a couple of pieces to put them over the top.

Oh, I agree. A couple of solid starters, a LF with good OBP, and a closer. Maybe strengthen your DH and you have a very solid team.

But we have the worst nimrod of an owner in all of sports. When I heard he had moved his office back into the Warehouse, I knew we were in trouble. And when he dies, I don't see much changing (just like the Yanks when Steinbrenner died).

#5 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

Was this guy the missing piece? I don't know, we have 11 other outfielders if there's something on this guy's physical that looks sketchy why make the deal. That's why they say pending a physical.

In terms of left, I actually like the Kansas City guy.

#6 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Maybe they will another wild card spot :cool:

#7 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,889 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Let's do the checklist:

2014 Needs that everybody acknowledged, including the Orioles:

1. A front-line top of the rotation starting pitcher or 2

2. A power hitting or high OBP leftfielder

3. A better DH hitter

4. A closer to replace Jim Johnson

And what did we do to address any of these?? Absolutely NOTHING.

Add to that the losses of SP Scott Feldman (rotation is now worse and weaker), LF Nate McLouth (weaker with no LF answer except for oft-injured Nolan Reimold), 2B Brian Roberts (no real answer to replace him... they are counting on Ryan Flaherty.....weaker there), and a CP (signed nobody so they want Tommy Hunter to earn the job... weaker there too and also weakens your set-up portion of bullpen)

and they didn't sign anybody to help at DH.

This team is much weaker than last year, and they barely finished above .500 in 2013. I expect about 72-75 wins, if the lineup can carry the team. They could actually lose 90+ games in 2014. :(

#8 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

Fanfest seems more likely to be a wake instead of a celebration.

#9 OsfaninCA

OsfaninCA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

Let's do the checklist:

2014 Needs that everybody acknowledged, including the Orioles:

1. A front-line top of the rotation starting pitcher or 2

2. A power hitting or high OBP leftfielder

3. A better DH hitter

4. A closer to replace Jim Johnson

And what did we do to address any of these?? Absolutely NOTHING.

Add to that the losses of SP Scott Feldman (rotation is now worse and weaker), LF Nate McLouth (weaker with no LF answer except for oft-injured Nolan Reimold), 2B Brian Roberts (no real answer to replace him... they are counting on Ryan Flaherty.....weaker there), and a CP (signed nobody so they want Tommy Hunter to earn the job... weaker there too and also weakens your set-up portion of bullpen)

and they didn't sign anybody to help at DH.

This team is much weaker than last year, and they barely finished above .500 in 2013. I expect about 72-75 wins, if the lineup can carry the team. They could actually lose 90+ games in 2014. :(

Ironically that list has not changed in the last 3-4 years! We have been searching (with minimal effort) for a front line pitcher...still don't have one. And a power hitting DH and LF...still don't have them either! Same story just

add a closer now.

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,806 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Fanfest seems more likely to be a wake instead of a celebration.

Nahh I'm sure there will be plenty of delusional  homers there

Edited by bmore_ken, 23 January 2014 - 09:05 PM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#11 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,694 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Oh, I agree. A couple of solid starters, a LF with good OBP, and a closer. Maybe strengthen your DH and you have a very solid team.

But we have the worst nimrod of an owner in all of sports. When I heard he had moved his office back into the Warehouse, I knew we were in trouble. And when he dies, I don't see much changing (just like the Yanks when Steinbrenner died).

NY didn't need change - the team was successful.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.

#12 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,694 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Was this guy the missing piece? I don't know, we have 11 other outfielders if there's something on this guy's physical that looks sketchy why make the deal. That's why they say pending a physical.

In terms of left, I actually like the Kansas City guy.

No, but now they aren't even picking up high upside cheap guys.

#13 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

Ironically that list has not changed in the last 3-4 years! We have been searching (with minimal effort) for a front line pitcher...still don't have one. And a power hitting DH and LF...still don't have them either! Same story just

add a closer now.

Extremism gets you nowhere.  The reality is that a few years ago this team had to find an entire infield in the offseason, in addition to the items you mentioned. 

An optimist would point out that at least the team has a solid 3B, SS and 1B guy now........until the offseason when the SS (I predict a monster year from Hardy in '14) will leave via free agency and both the catcher and first baseman will be traded to bring in value before each of them would otherwise depart after '15.

The worst thing Angelos could possibly do is tease us with a brief glimmer of hope and then snatch it away once more by his ineptitude.  If the O's return to the era of Wigginton, Trachsel and Burres, good luck retaining the last loyalists then.  The irony is, Peter was worried about fan erosion via the Nationals and his decisions are actually driving us there.  Tough for old time fans like me but at some point we all just give up......kind of like how I feel about the Terps after too many years of Edsall and the big Turd came to College Park. 

Edited by weenie, 24 January 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

I realized something after reading the article about Roberts always dreaming of being a Yankee. when he came up and took the job from Hairston, it was something O's fans could point to and say, we're headed in the right direction. now we have a solid 2Bman. he was part of the rebuilding process. now he's a grizzled old veteran winding down his 14 year career in NY, and the O's are still rebuilding.

pretty funny  :D

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#15 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,286 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Remember when Peter Angelos stood in the locker-room following the Game 5 divisional loss to the Yankees in 2012, and claimed he would add the missing pieces to get the Orioles over the hump?

Still waiting....

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,806 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

I realized something after reading the article about Roberts always dreaming of being a Yankee. when he came up and took the job from Hairston, it was something O's fans could point to and say, we're headed in the right direction. now we have a solid 2Bman. he was part of the rebuilding process. now he's a grizzled old veteran winding down his 14 year career in NY, and the O's are still rebuilding.

Or tragic

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#17 reg_indy

reg_indy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Or tragic

its a fine line......

Terrell Suggs is doing all that he can fan the flames on the Ravens’ feud with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Underneath his uniform, the linebacker/defensive end has been wearing a black t-shirt with the letters “YBYSA” on the front and the saying, “You Bet Your Sweet *** I Hate the Steelers” on the back.

"I saw it in a store, and I was like, 'Oh, that’s nice for camp. Get our minds right,'" Suggs said

#18 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,596 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

The rebuild was finished in 2012.  Unfortunately no maintenance was performed since, so the building fell down again.

#19 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

I don'think Colvin puts anyone over the hump. I just think it's amazing this offseason that the team which typically shops in teh bargain bin...hasn't even entered the store this offseason!

Fan Fest should be interesting...Other than the Travis Moon types...who would go?

Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#20 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

Fan Fest should be interesting...Other than the Travis Moon types...who would go?

professional autograph seekers will show up. I read that tickets for the autograph lines were immediately being resold for 5X the purchase price. add in Dads who are taking their kids, plus the fans who don't have anything else to do during a brutally cold winter, and you'll have a good crowd.

this team has been much worse, in recent years, than they are now. but the fanfest still had good crowds.

I wish there was something for me at those things. If there was, I would go. but I don't collect autographs. I think listening to interviews with pro athletes is only slightly preferred to a trip to the dentist. and I can hear/read company line, manager speak for free, so why pay to see it live.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users