$17M found between the sofa cushions!!!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

The Orioles have money to spend — perhaps as much as $17 million for this upcoming season — and are still looking to do so, according to the club's top executive.

"The market was frozen for a while," said Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette. "But things are starting to move again. We'll have to see how the market develops, but we've been talking to some other pitchers."

I'm so disappointed that he didn't use the word "parameters"  :D

this is a last gasp of BS to give some sense of hope to the sad sacks who so desperately want to believe in this team's commitment to winning. 

http://www.baltimore...0,2662558.story

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

So that gives us money for a decent pitcher or a decent DH  but probably not both.   Oh and they would have to pass the O's physical lol

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

So that gives us money for a decent pitcher or a decent DH  but probably not both.   Oh and they would have to pass the O's physical lol

that's already full blown comical of them.

the reason I believe this is all BS, is because you don't suddenly realize you have more money to spend. they conveniently made this discovery after the good players were signed. and although there are some pitching options available, they can always fall back on their excuse that they don't go beyond 3 yrs for pitchers. Beltran was the player to sign. it wasn't a long term commitment, and he's a post season beast. 

after observing his lies for 15 years, PGA will need to do better than this, to slip another fib by me. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,603 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

If they do spend it, I guess beers will be going up $1.

#5 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

Schmuck's article said that right now the O's payroll obligation is 84-86 Million, which is less than it was last year. DD has said that he can see the payroll going up to about 100 million. With Wieters still hanging around, he's going to take a chunk of that. I don't know why the O's haven't just paid the man....while his offensive numbers might not be top 5, his defense still makes him potentially a top 5 catcher, which justifies a big raise. There has to be stuff going on in the background - probably a "health" issue they are going to make up to throw Wieters under the bus at arb hearing time. Angelos is a car salesman.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#6 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

that's already full blown comical of them.

the reason I believe this is all BS, is because you don't suddenly realize you have more money to spend. they conveniently made this discovery after the good players were signed. and although there are some pitching options available, they can always fall back on their excuse that they don't go beyond 3 yrs for pitchers. Beltran was the player to sign. it wasn't a long term commitment, and he's a post season beast. 

after observing his lies for 15 years, PGA will need to do better than this, to slip another fib by me. 

I think they are sensing the anger from the fans right now as well.  Talk Radio and their Facebook page are full of anger with the lack of improvement this offseason.   But like you said i'm sure this is just smoke and mirrors to make it look like they have their eye on something. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we get which ever 38 yr old pitcher is left on the market to a 2 yr deal. 

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

I think they are sensing the anger from the fans right now as well.  Talk Radio and their Facebook page are full of anger with the lack of improvement this offseason.   But like you said i'm sure this is just smoke and mirrors to make it look like they have their eye on something. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we get which ever 38 yr old pitcher is left on the market to a 2 yr deal. 

agreed. they're trying out Brett Tomko.  :rolleyes:

as I've said in other threads, I don't have a problem with DD poking around the scrap heap, but that's all they ever do. they don't need another 5th starter. they need someone who can lead the rotation, not round it out. 

the FO can spin all the yarns they want. but the O's are the only team to shed payroll after receiving their $25M check from mlb. it's more poor mouthing by the frog king. I hope he believes his stories of barely being able to afford to keep the lights on, because I don't know anyone else who does. 

#8 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

I expect you are correct about whatever pitcher the Os get. I think they couldn't care less about the fans' anger, disappointment, and lack of enthusiasm. I know I am not excited about this year's team at all, and I am especially turned off by management's obvious disregard for the fans bordering on contempt. I'm no finance whiz, but I'd bet that attendance is not that big a deal to them in the total business picture. As long as they keep a minimum level of talent on the field to suggest the presence of an actual major league team, Angelos will still make a killing with MASN and other stuff, and still be able fulfill his little man's obsession with getting his own way.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

I'm no finance whiz, but I'd bet that attendance is not that big a deal to them in the total business picture.

you may be interested to know that Pete's rent at the yard is based on attendance. if you can find a copy of the O's contract with the MD stadium authority, it spells it all out. the higher the attendance, the higher the rent. a smart businessman, who wants to maximize profits, will do his best to adjust the origin where X & Y meet on their axes.

and ticket sales are the only revenue that's factored in. pretty sweet deal.  

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,355 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

He then named prospects such as Eduardo Rodriguez, Tim Berry, Mike Wright, Kevin Gausman and Dylan Bundy as examples of pitchers who can help the Orioles take the next step without going outside of the organization.

"The only way we are really going to be able to compete is if we bring up a steady stream of players through our farm system," Duquette said. "We have some young players in our farm system that I think will come up and contribute to our team this year."

Ah yes, the eternal myth of the "young pitching." This team hasn't developed a reasonable starter in a decade, and only one in the last 20 years. I don't for one second believe that any pitcher they draft will ever contribute as more than back of the rotation fodder.

Edited by Slidemaster, 23 January 2014 - 02:09 PM.

The kids are alright.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Ah yes, the eternal myth of the "young pitching." This team hadn't developed a reasonable starter in a decade, and only one in the last 20 years. I don't for one second believe that any pitcher they draft will ever contribute as more than back of the rotation fodder.

solid reasoning. their track record of developing pitching is horrendous. 

#12 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Ah yes, the eternal myth of the "young pitching." This team hasn't developed a reasonable starter in a decade, and only one in the last 20 years. I don't for one second believe that any pitcher they draft will ever contribute as more than back of the rotation fodder.

'Our pitching staff is a conspiracy of ifs' - Branch Rickey

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

good quote

#14 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,905 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

I don't like Nestor Apparicio, but I'm all for a "Free The Birds" campaign this year!

#15 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

I don't like Nestor Apparicio, but I'm all for a "Free The Birds" campaign this year!

I don't know what this is. If it is a movement to boycott games, see Weird-O's post #9 above. I thought attendance was no big deal to Angelos, but that post points out that less people means he pays less rent to the stadium authority. I really believe Angelos has the angles covered on this mode of doing business. All he has to do is put just enough on the field to actually simulate a major league baseball team and the TV and other revenues will continue to make him rich(er).

#16 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

Name the decent pitcher on the market worth 10 million

#17 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Angelos does not care about attendance. MASN lines his pockets with money and detaches him from the actual day-to-day O's operations. He could even sell the team and still make a tidy profit. I think he keeps the team as some sort of tax shelter, or that he gets some sort of other kickbacks from another source that keeps him holding on.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Angelos does not care about attendance. MASN lines his pockets with money and detaches him from the actual day-to-day O's operations. He could even sell the team and still make a tidy profit. I think he keeps the team as some sort of tax shelter, or that he gets some sort of other kickbacks from another source that keeps him holding on.

part of the process of breaking down mlb's anti-trust exemption, was to stop allowing team owners to transfer their tax dodges, from their other businesses, to the business of the team. but even without that nugget, there is no shortage of money.

before the RSN and crazy national TV contracts, owners made their money by selling the team. essentially, you buy a team, make a few bucks each year, sit on it for a decade or so, then sell at a huge mark up.

MASN was said to be the vehicle for econ parity in the AL east. it's really a contract to assure O's fans will be plagued by he Angelos family, Steve Geppi, et al. for a lifetime.

#19 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

solid reasoning. their track record of developing pitching is horrendous. 

What is it with this organization.

You get two guys, Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman who most would have said are can't miss and have excellent work effects. Dylan suddenly needs Tommy John surgery and Kevin gets rushed to the bigs and simply lit up.

With Arrietia maybe you can say that he doesn't have the mental makeup and the scouting department made a mistake but for a team that had a decade plus of top draft picks we only have three players in the mlb top 100 prospects?

It is just bizarre. 

#20 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,355 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

What is it with this organization.

You get two guys, Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman who most would have said are can't miss and have excellent work effects. Dylan suddenly needs Tommy John surgery and Kevin gets rushed to the bigs and simply lit up.

With Arrietia maybe you can say that he doesn't have the mental makeup and the scouting department made a mistake but for a team that had a decade plus of top draft picks we only have three players in the mlb top 100 prospects?

It is just bizarre.

In the last 20 years, they've developed exactly one serviceable MLB starter.

One.
The kids are alright.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users