Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

Balfour to Tampa, Garza to Milwaukee

32 posts in this topic

Yeah, Tampa is known for terrible baseball decisions. I'm sure the O's made the right call. And now the best FA pitcher left is gone.

60-65 wins. Last place for the foreseeable future, all while watching Balfour close out game after game against them in the division.

Edited by Slidemaster

The O's are getting laughed at relentlessly on MLB radio. Jim Bowden just was asked if Fernando Rodney was a good fit for the team and he responded with "sure, but what if he has a toothache and he fails the Orioles' physical?"

4 yr $52 mill for Garza, that's not bad at all.  Garza is only 30 though, we are probably holding out for 36 yr old Arroyo to give us a discount on a 2 yr deal.

Hey...wait a minute. 52 divided by 4 =13

and unless I miscalculated, 13 is less than 17.

now I'm confused  :huh:

Orioles offered Balfour $15m, and he got $12m from Tampa. He should sue the Orioles for the other $3m.

in the wake of the O's backing out of the deal, he mentioned that he was considering filing a grievance if he's earning potential was decreased by that situation. I wonder if he's still considering it. from the outside looking in, it seems like he may have a worthy argument. but I'm sure there are several factors that would have to be overcome. it would set a precedent, that's for sure. I can't think of a situation where a deal was called off under these circumstances.  

I can't think of a situation where a deal was called off under these circumstances.

January, 2000:

The player: Aaron Sele

The Team: The Orioles

Sele signed with Seattle and went 17-10, followed by a 15-5 the next year.

So much for Peter's "doctors".

Yeah, Tampa is known for terrible baseball decisions. I'm sure the O's made the right call. And now the best FA pitcher left is gone4.

But Jason Hammel is still available!

Hey...wait a minute. 52 divided by 4 =13

and unless I miscalculated, 13 is less than 17.

now I'm confused  :huh:

No...that is 17 free agent scrubs at $1.0 each for 1 year!!!!

LOL.

I'm actually surprised he hasn't been resigned yet

Give it a week.

Teams are going to start gobbling up the remaining pitchers now that the Yankees have Tomaka (sp?).

60-65 wins. Last place for the foreseeable future, all while watching Balfour close out game after game against them in the division.

Nice to see that you work out your positive attitude in the off season just like the players.

Give it a week.

Teams are going to start gobbling up the remaining pitchers now that the Yankees have Tomaka (sp?).

I'm pretty sure the Tanaka signing has very little to do with Hammel being signed :)

January, 2000:

The player: Aaron Sele

The Team: The Orioles

Sele signed with Seattle and went 17-10, followed by a 15-5 the next year.

So much for Peter's "doctors".

I should have clarified that I was asking about the other 29 teams. the O's do this with regularity. They did the same thing to Jeremy Burnitz. 

Name me one thing to be positive about that has happened this offseason.

even the Sun writers have turned on Angelos. I've read 3 articles this week that actually have teeth. of course, Encina still writes his sycophantic poetry of love for Angelos  

I'm positive I'll be spending far fewer dollars at OPACY this summer.

I just wonder if there is any other way that fans can stop this madness. To me, even though fans don't technically own the team, there should be some legal way to end the behavior of robber barons like this.

before his death, Ray Kroc tried to will the Padres to the people of San Diego. the other owners blocked him. the "public trust" angle has been tried a few times. but it hasn't worked yet. 

I thought you'd be thrilled to see us jettison Johnson. You spent most of last season saying that he was washed up. Addition by subtraction.

And, for the record, I am not thrilled with the O's offseason but I don't see them suddenly losing 20 some wins off their record. I guess I'm just not as prone to 'sky is falling' hyperbole.

Edited by JoyinMudville

And, for the record, I am not thrilled with the O's offseason but I don't see them suddenly losing 20 some wins off their record. I guess I'm just not as prone to 'sky is falling' hyperbole.

I AM thrilled to see Johnson go, because I figured they'd acquire someone decent to replace him. Apparently that was too optimistic of me. What can I say? Nobody is perfect.

I AM thrilled to see Johnson go, because I figured they'd acquire someone decent to replace him. Apparently that was too optimistic of me. What can I say? Nobody is perfect.

I think a 20 game swing is extreme too. Couple the yankees improved offense with the O's weakened pitching staff, and you can figure on losing 5 more games against them this year, than they did last year.   

I think a 20 game swing is extreme too. Couple the yankees improved offense with the O's weakened pitching staff, and you can figure on losing 5 more games against them this year, than they did last year.

I expect Davis to regress, Manny to regress coming off of knee surgery, a worse bullpen, and worse production from left field. Couple that in with the Yankees and Rays getting noticeably better and I think 10 games minimum is what we're looking at, and more if they don't stay healthy (which is entirely possible).