• PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

According to Dallas Jackson

McDonogh adds Cincy Elder and LaSalle College (PA)  for 2014

LaSalle ranked 139 in country and 7 in PA

Last year was a down year for them going 7-3 usually a pretty strong program

Same for Elder...

Damico talks about how the schedule came about amongst other things in an article on

www.NationalHsfootball.com

Edited by harcohorns, 23 January 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#2 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

I think they're doing this for a couple of reasons. One, because they will have a really good team next year but also because of recruiting. They know they have to up their schedule if they want to lure recruits from Gilman. Personally, I think this will bite them in the *** next year. They don't have the depth that Gilman has. Gilman is use to playing these games and then the MIAA schedule. They have way too many two players and this year will probably have more than they did this past season. Easier being the hunter than the hunted, ask CHC how it worked for them when they upped their schedule. And McD's schedule will be much tougher than CHC's was this past season.

#3 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

I think at the highschool level depth can be in a way out weighed by good conditioning g and development with the players...

ECA on avg traveled with about 45 players... And beat a St Iggy team with about 100 players.... Beat bosco in the scrimmage that had abt 100 players, lost by a point to Edwards who TRAVELED with about 85 kids (3 coach buses).... Imhotep even had a good 90 varsity players...

I think if they make a schedule like this they must be serious, so they need train the players seriously and get their minds and bodies ready for a fight every

If they do this the right way they will compete with teams with more numbers...

#4 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

Gilman is use to playing these games and then the MIAA schedule.

Now hold on second.  It's one thing to play a heavy OOS schedule, if one or two games can be considered harsh at the openning of a season for the most part but to win those OOS is all together a different matter.  Any team can lose such games.  What has been Gilman's record against those tough games for say the last 10 years?

#5 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

I have them at 3-9 in the past 8 years...

#6 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Now hold on second.  It's one thing to play a heavy OOS schedule, if one or two games can be considered harsh at the openning of a season for the most part but to win those OOS is all together a different matter.  Any team can lose such games.  What has been Gilman's record against those tough games for say the last 10 years?

My point has nothing to do with whether or not they will win or lose these games. In all honesty, McD should be favored in all of those games except maybe SJR from Nj. And even then they bring more players back than SJR. My point was about who will win the MIAA next year, Gilman or McD. Point being, Gilman is use to playing these games and then the MIAA schedule, McD isn't.

#7 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

I just read the article and Dom straight calls out DeMatha and GC! Basically said that they both ran from playing McD next season, pretty weak of them IMO.

#8 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

Most interesting part of the article is the mention of the playoffs:

"The Eagles will play Gilman, Severn (Md.) Archbishop Spalding, Baltimore (Md.) St. Frances, Baltimore (Md.) Mount St. Joseph, Baltimore (Md.) Calvert Hall, Towson (Md.) Loyola Blakefield as well as Richmond (Vir.) Benedictine to go with its out-of-state contests. It will also have just one bye on the schedule prior to the playoffs."

#9 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

2nd most interesting part is mention of McDonogh playing Saint Joe's Regional (NJ) on 9/5. 9/5 is a Friday. I doubt they'd play a game of this magnitude on a Fri. afternoon. Maybe McD is getting lights after all.

#10 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

Best guess for McD schedule:

McDonogh School:
Week -1- Unknown (not mentioned in article, was Bishop O'Connell (VA) in 2013)

Week 0- at Benedictine (VA) (Game confirmed, not date)

Week 1 (9/5)- Saint Joseph's Regional (NJ) (replaces Haverford School (PA))
Week 2 (9/12)- at Elder (OH) (replaces Penn Charter (PA))

Week 3- vs. La Salle (PA) (replaces Georgetown Prep)
Week 4- Mount Saint Joseph
Week 5- at Calvert Hall
Week 6- Saint Frances
Week 7- BYE
Week 8- at Loyola
Week 9- Archbishop Spalding
Week 10 (11/8)- @ Gilman School (99th Annual McDonogh-Gilman Game)

#11 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:34 AM

My point has nothing to do with whether or not they will win or lose these games. In all honesty, McD should be favored in all of those games except maybe SJR from Nj. And even then they bring more players back than SJR. My point was about who will win the MIAA next year, Gilman or McD. Point being, Gilman is use to playing these games and then the MIAA schedule, McD isn't.

Okay, winning and losing OOS games may not be your point but it's certainly mine.  Booking national OOS games should be more than the thrill of unwinnable challenges but rather over coming or winning those challenges.  Like I said, anyone can can lose as that's what you often say about CHC when they step up for even the modest challenges you say they take.  More noticeable is that Gilman will play those one or two national OOS games but then duck into the safety of their MIAA schedule where winning is most important to Gilman just like nearly everyone else.  So all in all, I don't see Gilman no more the risk taker than McDonogh or that Gilman is so "use" to playing challenging OOS games.  Taking challenges and winning most of them is so different than taking challenges and losing all or most of them.  Losing just isn't much of a challenge to me.  Losers are even good at that; losing!!.  Again. anyone can do that, right Friendship Collegiate Academy.  I think even you have projected Gilman could lose all of their OOS games, as many as three one season, and you projected they would still win the MIAA crown and probably still be the #1 team in the state.  And that may have happened or you were darn close to your projection.  Who will win the MIAA NEXT season is speculation.  Who is the reigning champ is fact.

Edited by DayWalker, 24 January 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#12 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

Okay, winning and losing OOS games may not be your point but it's certainly mine.  Booking national OOS games should be more than the thrill of unwinnable challenges but rather over coming or winning those challenges.  Like I said, anyone can can lose as that's what you often say about CHC when they step up for even the modest challenges you say they take.  More noticeable is that Gilman will play those one or two national OOS games but then duck into the safety of their MIAA schedule where winning is most important to Gilman just like nearly everyone else.  So all in all, I don't see Gilman no more the risk taker than McDonogh or that Gilman is so "use" to playing challenging OOS games.  Taking challenges and winning most of them is so different than taking challenges and losing all or most of them.  Losing just isn't much of a challenge to me.  Losers are even good at that; losing!!.  Again. anyone can do that, right Friendship Collegiate Academy.  I think even you have projected Gilman could lose all of their OOS games, as many as three one season, and you projected they would still win the MIAA crown and probably still be the #1 team in the state.  And that may have happened or you were darn close to your projection.  Who will win the MIAA NEXT season is speculation.  Who is the reigning champ is fact.

Hey, I agree with you on winning the games and is my biggest issue with Gilman's staff's almost hardheaded obsession with not changing the offense. Personally I believe you play the games to win, what's the point of playing these games if you're not putting the kids in the best position to win the game? This past season, I didn't believe Gilman had much of a chance to win those games regardless of the offense but no reason to not give the kids a better shot at winning them.

But we definitely disagree with whether or not having experience playing these sort of games is an advantage. Having a team that's use to the grind and physicality of playing teams that are stock piled with legit D 1 talent is a lot different than being use to playing Our Sisters of the Poor and then a conference schedule. Sorry it just is and funny that you believe that it isn't.

#13 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

GA,

Gilman doesn't have a prayer against MCD next year running that offense and misusing their personnel on D

#14 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

GA,

Gilman doesn't have a prayer against MCD next year running that offense and misusing their personnel on D

#15 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

GA,

If you really think just because McD beat a flat Gilman team for the first time in 5 years that it means that McD has Gilman's number, you're delusional! They won A game, that's all. They aren't some powerhouse and the Gilman kids are use to beating them handily.ike I said, much easier being the hunter instead of the hunted.

#16 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

And when they lose two years in a row, what will your excuse be, the dog ate my homework?

#17 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

And when they lose two years in a row, what will your excuse be, the dog ate my homework?

You have a lot of confidence in McD and obviously haven't been paying attention to what's going on in the offseason. I think your feelings might be in trouble this season.

#18 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

I had a lot of confidence last year and was spot on. I know the personnel at both Schools and the kids both teams are recruiting well. You were spot on last year when you pointed out the quality of the off season work would determine the winner. McDonogh won the off season battle last year. In summary, the team that works the hardest in the offseason will not only be stronger and faster but will have a big mental edge going into the season.

#19 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Hey, I agree with you on winning the games and is my biggest issue with Gilman's staff's almost hardheaded obsession with not changing the offense. Personally I believe you play the games to win, what's the point of playing these games if you're not putting the kids in the best position to win the game? This past season, I didn't believe Gilman had much of a chance to win those games regardless of the offense but no reason to not give the kids a better shot at winning them.

But we definitely disagree with whether or not having experience playing these sort of games is an advantage. Having a team that's use to the grind and physicality of playing teams that are stock piled with legit D 1 talent is a lot different than being use to playing Our Sisters of the Poor and then a conference schedule. Sorry it just is and funny that you believe that it isn't.

Here is where I have a problem with your thought that "...having a team that's use to the grind and physically of playing teams that are pile with legit D1 talent..." and it being "...a lot different than being use to playing Our Sisters of the Poor..." is that Gilman only does one or two stacked D1 OOS games.  The rest are against the poor so you can't be so use to the grind.  Relatively speaking, Gilman would be the stacked team of the MIAA others of the MIAA would so greatly benefit from playing and could get use to you.  But they don't.  Gilman just whacks it's conference opponents year in and year out.  Nothing is really gained by those lesser teams by getting slapped around by Gilman unless getting use to that is what you're talking about. 

Now if those teams gained great experience and started really being consistently competitive against Gilman then you would be on to something.  But from my point of view, Gilman just chalk up wins against the others of the MIAA and has being the league champs over and over and over and over again.

Edited by DayWalker, 24 January 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#20 dunkone

dunkone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

I just read the article and Dom straight calls out DeMatha and GC! Basically said that they both ran from playing McD next season, pretty weak of them IMO.

dematha  is fielding calls from many top programs right now...McD is just another good team..DOM (and anybody else) would be sadly mistaken to think DM is running from anybody..despite losing a great class I think people will be surprised of the play of some of the kids who will be starting next yr..brooks did a good job of playing back ups in crucial parts of games this yr so there will be more than a few first time starters who saw much palying time this yr..actually a couple of kids will straight have the chains off of them next yr in terms of playing time....can't wait..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users