joeyd08

Turgeon

109 posts in this topic

Before his "last shot", Mitchell had the ball under the basket with some space.  Two Dukies came at him in waves and got him to hesitate.  So frustrating.  Big man standing directly under the basket with the ball in the closing seconds, and he doesn't just take it up strong and go for the dunk right away... insane.  Soft.  This team has been so soft and so unsure in the paint for so long... it's maddening.

My point made right there... Why is Mitchell taking the last shot.

He had an awesome look. My instinct would have been to with Dez or Seth. But it was a clear mismatch in the paint.

they just had a chance to cut it to 2 with 3minutes left against the orange but they took a terrible shot and the orange came back an hit a 3 .........

got it back to 4 at 2 minutes ......

threw this game away .....

chance to win win seconds left and terrible last shot ......

lots of missed free throws all game long .....

what a break, missed 1 and 1 ......

one last chance ......

Wow. So close to getting two major wins over high quality opponents.  

The pure talent is there.  As noted above the basketball IQ is not there and there is something else missing. 

Wow. So close to getting two major wins over high quality opponents.  

The pure talent is there.  As noted above the basketball IQ is not there and there is something else missing.

Maybe those two quality losses can springboard the Terps back into the NIT.

Anyone know how much Turgean makes? Maybe the State could save money and hire the Turgeonites. Team couldn't play any dumber with them at the end of the bench.

We can't all be UVA.  
I wish Maryland would fire their Football and Basketball coaches and start over

threw this game away .....

chance to win win seconds left and terrible last shot ......

lots of missed free throws all game long .....

what a break, missed 1 and 1 ......

one last chance ......

To me it was the turnovers.

...but totally amazing that the Terps shot 27 foul-shots and Cuse only 6.

Historically Syracuse just has never been able to hold big leads and it's frustrating...Jimmy B has driven many an Orange fan mad when they're on a good run and he tells them to slow it down...suddenly that 10-12 point lead is three.....

We can't all be UVA.  

I wish Maryland would fire their Football and Basketball coaches and start over

Good, the murder rate in this country would sky rocket if we were all UVA athletes.

You can't compare the progress of the football team to the regression of the basketball program because Maryland, in its own mind, is a "basketball".

The football team is progressing?  Maybe - but only from the depths that Edsall led the team in his first year.  They sure as hell haven't progressed in any sense of the word compared to where the program was when he took over.

The football team is progressing?  Maybe - but only from the depths that Edsall led the team in his first year.  They sure as hell haven't progressed in any sense of the word compared to where the program was when he took over.

The program is getting stronger. MD football isn't like the SEC or Gilman, some big fat alum just can't buy everything he wants over night.

Exactly.  This year Maryland Football got back to exactly where they were with Fridge.

I think the Basketball team improved recruiting and regressed on the court.

Both massive fails and evidence that they need massive and immediate leadership changes.

It seems to me that, way more often than not, when they're in a game that comes down to the last minute, final seconds, final shot, etc... the Terps never seem to get off a quality shot.  Just this year, the end of the U Conn game... the end of the Duke game... the end of the Syracuse game... none of them seemed "composed" in any way.  Mitchell got the ball near the basket at Duke, but even he looked surprised & hesitant, and didn't finish with any authority.  U Conn and Syracuse... none of the last second shots wound up being much more than "run around and whoever has the ball under two seconds, heave it up from wherever you are".  You almost never see a guy dish to someone for an open (or somewhat open) jumper.  Not a lot of good looks.  I realize that's not the plan, but that's still the perception they give off in the closing seconds.

Exactly.  This year Maryland Football got back to exactly where they were with Fridge.

I think the Basketball team improved recruiting and regressed on the court.

Both massive fails and evidence that they need massive and immediate leadership changes.

I would say the football program is almost back to where they were when they canned Fridge.  Recall they went 8-5 that year, won their bowl and ended the season in the top 25.  I'm also not sure the selection of Edsall was as much of a massive fail as I previously had thought, although the contract Anderson gave him was ridiculous.  I think Edsall just did a really bad job of transitioning into the program.  He's changed his approach in dealing with the players and is doing a good job recruiting, but his in-game coaching isn't great.

I agree 100% regarding the basketball program, except the recruits haven't panned out.  Not sure if that's due to poor rankings/evaluations of the recruits or a failure in coaching, but I'm starting to lean toward the latter.  Also, Turgeon hasn't put together a well-rounded team.  Why hasn't he signed a PG until this class?  I'm also getting sick and tired of people saying that we should wait to judge Turgeon until he has his own guys in place - NEWS FLASH - he recruited every single player that gets minutes, including all 3 juniors (Faust - who signed after Turgeon after asking to be released from his LOI after Gary retired, plus Dez and Graham, who transferred to play under him).

Edited by gillytech

I would say the football program is almost back to where they were when they canned Fridge.  Recall they went 8-5 that year, won their bowl and ended the season in the top 25.  I'm also not sure the selection of Edsall was as much of a massive fail as I previously had thought, although the contract Anderson gave him was ridiculous.  I think Edsall just did a really bad job of transitioning into the program.  He's changed his approach in dealing with the players and is doing a good job recruiting, but his in-game coaching isn't great.

I agree 100% regarding the basketball program, except the recruits haven't panned out.  Not sure if that's due to poor rankings/evaluations of the recruits or a failure in coaching, but I'm starting to lean toward the latter.  Also, Turgeon hasn't put together a well-rounded team.  Why hasn't he signed a PG until this class?  I'm also getting sick and tired of people saying that we should wait to judge Turgeon until he has his own guys in place - NEWS FLASH - he recruited every single player that gets minutes, including all 3 juniors (Faust - who signed after Turgeon after asking to be released from his LOI after Gary retired, plus Dez and Graham, who transferred to play under him).

DUDE!  Edsall?  What signature wins did they have in '13 that made you fall in love?  Tech?  Connecticut?

In fairness, Randy has brought in some nice skill players and he strikes me as a good recruiter but the transfers trouble me and his in-game mgmt skills distress.  But what bothers me most is his thin skin.  The man is unaccountable and lacks the character necessary for leadership.  Sometimes, leaders take responsibility regardless of culpability.

Oh by the way, when Fridge stepped in what was his record in year one?

Edited by weenie

DUDE!  Edsall?  What signature wins did they have in '13 that made you fall in love?  Tech?  Connecticut?

In fairness, Randy has brought in some nice skill players and he strikes me as a good recruiter but the transfers trouble me and his in-game mgmt skills distress.  But what bothers me most is his thin skin.  The man is unaccountable and lacks the character necessary for leadership.  Sometimes, leaders take responsibility regardless of culpability.

Oh by the way, when Fridge stepped in what was his record in year one?

Just curious, on a scale of one to ten how much time would you say you spend following Terps football?

Just curious, on a scale of one to ten how much time would you say you spend following Terps football?

That's a far too simplistic inquiry. 

I grew up with Claiborne and Ross.  I also grew up with Jack Scarbath's son.  Once upon a time, the Terps were a prolific QB school.  Reich was my favorite whereas to me, Boomer was all arm and mouth.  I stayed interested through the "Dark Years" and thought Vanderlinden was the right hire, but I was proven wrong.  I did not agree with his termination but I absolutely supported Fridge when he took over and then got season tickets when I could finally afford them. I do however think Ralph got a bit too much credit for his early success via Ron's recruiting foundation.  Guys like the Hendersons and D'Qwell have been favorites too.

Regarding Randy, I kept an open mind at first.  I heard complaints about the quality of recruitment during the latter part of Fridge's term and I also heard comments about his age/weight/ability and felt my own knowledge was insuffiicent to pass judgment on the change made, but I did not like how it went down and thought an alumnus who brought the team out of the dark era deserved better.  But that wasn't Randy's fault, that falls on the door step of Loh, the big spender down at NC State and possibly Kevin Plank (at least that's what the guys opined to me at the games).   

I actually did prefer Edsall over Leach.  MD's academics are too important to corrupt via a guy like Leach.   But it disturbed me to see how Randy treated the UConn players when he left them.  After all, his big meal ticket here was gained on their backs.  Then I saw the transfers.  Then guys got moved around like Tate (an all ACC safety whose career was destroyed by the move to LB) and others.  Then I heard the coach repeatedly blame the players after losses and it turned my stomach. 

I sat with several alumni at the games down at Byrd and after the first Edsall year they dropped their plans and nobody bought their old seats.  I continued for another year and then after year two decided to spend my money elsewhere.  IMO, Edsall was even more vocal in his criticisms of players in year two and therafter and he took little responsibility for his part.  That's not what football leaders do. 

I have yet to see Randy ackowledge his part in the recent swoon and IMO 2013 was fools gold.  Wins against teams like ODU and FIU and Uconn are fluff.

They are three of the worst teams in the FBS.  WVU, UVA, NCS and VT were OK wins but the loss to Marshall was reaffirming.

As I said in another post, this team has some nice skill players now but they are negated by bad coaching. This is Vanderlinden 2.0 but it would bother me not one bit to be proven wrong.  Fans stay engaged as best they can (and can afford) but dissent is healthy and often essential to improvement. 

I tried to keep an open mind but at some point you have to embrace reality.  Now I occasionally take in a Towson game and enjoy the less arduous commute.  I spend my savings at the local establishments in Towson after the games like Razorbacks, Ocean Pride and Bateman's. 

Gamedays are a lot more fun now but in my heart I still am a Terrapin....particularly when it's basketball season....though that's getting difficult too.  Turgeon is not the thin skinned finger pointer Edsall is but he's got one thing in common with Randy, they both are in over their heads as ACC/B1G coaches.  

Edited by weenie