#41 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

We can't all be UVA.  
I wish Maryland would fire their Football and Basketball coaches and start over

Good, the murder rate in this country would sky rocket if we were all UVA athletes.

You can't compare the progress of the football team to the regression of the basketball program because Maryland, in its own mind, is a "basketball".

#42 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

The football team is progressing?  Maybe - but only from the depths that Edsall led the team in his first year.  They sure as hell haven't progressed in any sense of the word compared to where the program was when he took over.

#43 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

The football team is progressing?  Maybe - but only from the depths that Edsall led the team in his first year.  They sure as hell haven't progressed in any sense of the word compared to where the program was when he took over.

The program is getting stronger. MD football isn't like the SEC or Gilman, some big fat alum just can't buy everything he wants over night.

#44 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

Exactly.  This year Maryland Football got back to exactly where they were with Fridge.

I think the Basketball team improved recruiting and regressed on the court.

Both massive fails and evidence that they need massive and immediate leadership changes.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#45 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,939 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:13 PM

It seems to me that, way more often than not, when they're in a game that comes down to the last minute, final seconds, final shot, etc... the Terps never seem to get off a quality shot.  Just this year, the end of the U Conn game... the end of the Duke game... the end of the Syracuse game... none of them seemed "composed" in any way.  Mitchell got the ball near the basket at Duke, but even he looked surprised & hesitant, and didn't finish with any authority.  U Conn and Syracuse... none of the last second shots wound up being much more than "run around and whoever has the ball under two seconds, heave it up from wherever you are".  You almost never see a guy dish to someone for an open (or somewhat open) jumper.  Not a lot of good looks.  I realize that's not the plan, but that's still the perception they give off in the closing seconds.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#46 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

Exactly.  This year Maryland Football got back to exactly where they were with Fridge.

I think the Basketball team improved recruiting and regressed on the court.

Both massive fails and evidence that they need massive and immediate leadership changes.

I would say the football program is almost back to where they were when they canned Fridge.  Recall they went 8-5 that year, won their bowl and ended the season in the top 25.  I'm also not sure the selection of Edsall was as much of a massive fail as I previously had thought, although the contract Anderson gave him was ridiculous.  I think Edsall just did a really bad job of transitioning into the program.  He's changed his approach in dealing with the players and is doing a good job recruiting, but his in-game coaching isn't great.

I agree 100% regarding the basketball program, except the recruits haven't panned out.  Not sure if that's due to poor rankings/evaluations of the recruits or a failure in coaching, but I'm starting to lean toward the latter.  Also, Turgeon hasn't put together a well-rounded team.  Why hasn't he signed a PG until this class?  I'm also getting sick and tired of people saying that we should wait to judge Turgeon until he has his own guys in place - NEWS FLASH - he recruited every single player that gets minutes, including all 3 juniors (Faust - who signed after Turgeon after asking to be released from his LOI after Gary retired, plus Dez and Graham, who transferred to play under him).

Edited by gillytech, 27 February 2014 - 12:06 AM.

#47 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

sorry - double post

Edited by gillytech, 27 February 2014 - 12:06 AM.

#48 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

I would say the football program is almost back to where they were when they canned Fridge.  Recall they went 8-5 that year, won their bowl and ended the season in the top 25.  I'm also not sure the selection of Edsall was as much of a massive fail as I previously had thought, although the contract Anderson gave him was ridiculous.  I think Edsall just did a really bad job of transitioning into the program.  He's changed his approach in dealing with the players and is doing a good job recruiting, but his in-game coaching isn't great.

I agree 100% regarding the basketball program, except the recruits haven't panned out.  Not sure if that's due to poor rankings/evaluations of the recruits or a failure in coaching, but I'm starting to lean toward the latter.  Also, Turgeon hasn't put together a well-rounded team.  Why hasn't he signed a PG until this class?  I'm also getting sick and tired of people saying that we should wait to judge Turgeon until he has his own guys in place - NEWS FLASH - he recruited every single player that gets minutes, including all 3 juniors (Faust - who signed after Turgeon after asking to be released from his LOI after Gary retired, plus Dez and Graham, who transferred to play under him).

DUDE!  Edsall?  What signature wins did they have in '13 that made you fall in love?  Tech?  Connecticut?

In fairness, Randy has brought in some nice skill players and he strikes me as a good recruiter but the transfers trouble me and his in-game mgmt skills distress.  But what bothers me most is his thin skin.  The man is unaccountable and lacks the character necessary for leadership.  Sometimes, leaders take responsibility regardless of culpability.

Oh by the way, when Fridge stepped in what was his record in year one?

Edited by weenie, 28 February 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#49 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

DUDE!  Edsall?  What signature wins did they have in '13 that made you fall in love?  Tech?  Connecticut?

In fairness, Randy has brought in some nice skill players and he strikes me as a good recruiter but the transfers trouble me and his in-game mgmt skills distress.  But what bothers me most is his thin skin.  The man is unaccountable and lacks the character necessary for leadership.  Sometimes, leaders take responsibility regardless of culpability.

Oh by the way, when Fridge stepped in what was his record in year one?

Just curious, on a scale of one to ten how much time would you say you spend following Terps football?

#50 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Just curious, on a scale of one to ten how much time would you say you spend following Terps football?

That's a far too simplistic inquiry. 

I grew up with Claiborne and Ross.  I also grew up with Jack Scarbath's son.  Once upon a time, the Terps were a prolific QB school.  Reich was my favorite whereas to me, Boomer was all arm and mouth.  I stayed interested through the "Dark Years" and thought Vanderlinden was the right hire, but I was proven wrong.  I did not agree with his termination but I absolutely supported Fridge when he took over and then got season tickets when I could finally afford them. I do however think Ralph got a bit too much credit for his early success via Ron's recruiting foundation.  Guys like the Hendersons and D'Qwell have been favorites too.

Regarding Randy, I kept an open mind at first.  I heard complaints about the quality of recruitment during the latter part of Fridge's term and I also heard comments about his age/weight/ability and felt my own knowledge was insuffiicent to pass judgment on the change made, but I did not like how it went down and thought an alumnus who brought the team out of the dark era deserved better.  But that wasn't Randy's fault, that falls on the door step of Loh, the big spender down at NC State and possibly Kevin Plank (at least that's what the guys opined to me at the games).   

I actually did prefer Edsall over Leach.  MD's academics are too important to corrupt via a guy like Leach.   But it disturbed me to see how Randy treated the UConn players when he left them.  After all, his big meal ticket here was gained on their backs.  Then I saw the transfers.  Then guys got moved around like Tate (an all ACC safety whose career was destroyed by the move to LB) and others.  Then I heard the coach repeatedly blame the players after losses and it turned my stomach. 

I sat with several alumni at the games down at Byrd and after the first Edsall year they dropped their plans and nobody bought their old seats.  I continued for another year and then after year two decided to spend my money elsewhere.  IMO, Edsall was even more vocal in his criticisms of players in year two and therafter and he took little responsibility for his part.  That's not what football leaders do. 

I have yet to see Randy ackowledge his part in the recent swoon and IMO 2013 was fools gold.  Wins against teams like ODU and FIU and Uconn are fluff.

They are three of the worst teams in the FBS.  WVU, UVA, NCS and VT were OK wins but the loss to Marshall was reaffirming.

As I said in another post, this team has some nice skill players now but they are negated by bad coaching. This is Vanderlinden 2.0 but it would bother me not one bit to be proven wrong.  Fans stay engaged as best they can (and can afford) but dissent is healthy and often essential to improvement. 

I tried to keep an open mind but at some point you have to embrace reality.  Now I occasionally take in a Towson game and enjoy the less arduous commute.  I spend my savings at the local establishments in Towson after the games like Razorbacks, Ocean Pride and Bateman's. 

Gamedays are a lot more fun now but in my heart I still am a Terrapin....particularly when it's basketball season....though that's getting difficult too.  Turgeon is not the thin skinned finger pointer Edsall is but he's got one thing in common with Randy, they both are in over their heads as ACC/B1G coaches.  

Edited by weenie, 01 March 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#51 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

The Terps now have toick up a in at VTech to avoid ending the season on a five game slide.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#52 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

What does this do to their NIT chances?

#53 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

What does this do to their NIT chances?

They went from very very slim to none at all.

#54 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

Entrenched Cynic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,407 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

Wow. So close to getting two major wins over high quality opponents.  

The pure talent is there.  As noted above the basketball IQ is not there and there is something else missing. 

To me it seems it is more than lack of BB IQ. They're undisciplined and sloppy. Lazy passes, they don't get back on fast breaks, it's very frustrating to watch.

They have the talent to be much better than they are.

Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#55 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Anyone going to the game tonight?

#56 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

big win over a top 5 team .......

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#57 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

At least md went out (reg season) on a great note by beating the Wahoos.

#58 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

Always nice to beat that school which the Terps usually do.

You would think uva would get a better return on their athletics given their low to no standards for athletes. 

Oh well, time to forget that school even exists now that the Terps are on to B1Gger and better things. 

#59 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

I didn't liked that foul at the end of regulation. I thought we were better off forcing the to shoot the three vs putting them on the line. We won. But that was scary. Brohan, one of these days you have to tell us why you hate UVA so much. Is it the Yeardley Love thing?

#60 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

I didn't liked that foul at the end of regulation. I thought we were better off forcing the to shoot the three vs putting them on the line. We won. But that was scary. Brohan, one of these days you have to tell us why you hate UVA so much. Is it the Yeardley Love thing?

Follow the crumbs relative to Johnny Christmas and you'll find lots to dislike about a program that buries the criminal conduct of it's lacrosse and basketball players.  When victims of theft are pressured to keep quiet via the promise that by doing so they will later receive sportsmanship accolades to put on their resumes, you'll then understand why Virginia is as phony a school as there is in DI

Christmas was an anomoly.  A very talented african american, allegedly related to Michael Jordan, his misconduct drove many in the LAX program to question their loyalty to the school.  The best player on the team transferred to Syracuse in response to the coach's mgmt of the situation while others who stayed learned the hard way just how corrupt major college sports are due to the pressure placed on them to keep quiet about what he did.  I wonder if the cops in Charlottesville expunged the records.

Someday, someone will tell the truth, but the taboos in the mainstream media relative to racial elements within the story will keep the tale under wraps for the forseeable future.  But just ask yourself why a national championship team tanked shortly thereafter in spite of a solid talent base.  The coach lost his players and they threw in the towel but Starsia still runs the program and the taint is palpable to fans who know the sordid details. 

Edited by weenie, 10 March 2014 - 05:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users