http://www.baltimore...story?track=rss

#2 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

It will be interesting to see how long the folks on this board can go before bashing this move. It would make sense to see how things develop during the actual NFL season, but I expect it will begin before the announcement is made.

#3 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,875 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

Fantastic decision!!!

#4 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

It will be interesting to see how long the folks on this board can go before bashing this move. It would make sense to see how things develop during the actual NFL season, but I expect it will begin before the announcement is made.

They'd better hurry!

#5 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and support them, unless they give me a reason otherwise, so no bashing from me at this time  :)

#6 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

I think that Kubiak is an excellent choice, and congratulate the Ravens on landing him.  Steve did a great...I mean John selected a really good one here.................in picking Gary.  Actually he will be a great help to John..and will be able to run the offense very independently...so John can focus on his 'head coaching' responsibilities.  Now let's enjoy seeing Gary assemble a strong offensive staff and start building something with substance.  Also, now Joe has a chance to get better, and have some real guidance...as well as a scheme that has better odds of success...along with hopefully a rebuilt O line.  I am sure Kubiak will see to that.......  good for both the running and passing game.  This sure beats the choices we were looking at up to yesterday!   

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

I'm on the fence with this one.

:)

Now...I know...I know...some of you are asking the question: WHY?!!! Well...because.

Because Kubiak is another in a long line of: conservative, run-run-pass OC's who wants things done HIS way and he does not believe in audibles at the LOS. Haven't we already seen enough of that?

We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 27 January 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#8 doktorluv

doktorluv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

I'm on the fence with this one.

:)

Now...I know...I know...some of you are asking the question: WHY?!!! Well...because.

Because Kubiak is another in a long line of: conservative, run-run-pass OC's who wants things done HIS way and he does not believe in audibles at the LOS. Haven't we already seen enough of that?

We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

uh ... why would anyone be asking anything?  Like, who gives a crap what you think?  you were wrong about Caldwell (the "rooney rule tour") and you were wrong about hostler getting the job.

go back to fixing computers.  I hope you're better at that

Edited by doktorluv, 27 January 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#9 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Maybe he will loosen up a little here with having Joe to work with.  I think he beats Hostler, hands down.....and will maybe try to reinvent himself here...to look appealing for a HC role.  This is one I am going to try to be optimistic about....although I understand your reservations OCF.  What I like is he seems to be a builder...and may develop the infrastructure to support whatever offensive style we end up with.  Also, I am hoping from what I have read, he believes in player development and using his talent.  If that is true, it will also help this offense that has been starved from a standpoint of player development, quite a bit.  Plus, I think he has the moxie to be a strong presence and not get run over by John.  I might not 'love' his offensive style the most....but let's see if he can make something out of this bunch.  They all need to get their confidence back, and their aggressiveness.  Now........on the defensive side of things....how long is Pees going to stay around do you think??????  we really need the toughness and swarming style there again.  we are far too mechanical...robotic, and styled to 'prevent' rather than crush.  we all see how well 'prevent' works when you face a really good QB.   And can we learn to TACKLE?

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,742 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

uh ... why would anyone be asking anything?  Like, who gives a crap what you think?  you were wrong about Caldwell (the "rooney rule tour") and you were wrong about hostler getting the job.

go back to fixing computers.  I hope you're better at that

Dude you just became my new best friend  :D

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#11 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Great hire. I expect a lot from Kubiak as I know he wasnt to use this oppurtunity to be successful and get another shot at heing a head coach in this league.

#12 Andy in Hagerstown

Andy in Hagerstown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

As far as run, run, pass I recall Andre Johnson and several Broncos WR's have done pretty well under Kubiak. I'm just pleased that this is fresh blood coming into the organization. In addition it won't just be one guy. Dennison is on board and from what I can glean from the presser several other coaches will be coming on board.

This is more than just an OC hire. To me this signals a systemic shift in the way the Ravens are going to run things on offense. This type of organizational shift is long overdue IMO.

I agree with wait and see, but all signs and history point to this being a very positive move going forward.

#13 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Dude you just became my new best friend  :D

Clearly...you don't have many.

Just sayin...

#14 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Maybe he will loosen up a little here with having Joe to work with.  I think he beats Hostler, hands down.....and will maybe try to reinvent himself here...to look appealing for a HC role.  This is one I am going to try to be optimistic about....although I understand your reservations OCF.  What I like is he seems to be a builder...and may develop the infrastructure to support whatever offensive style we end up with.  Also, I am hoping from what I have read, he believes in player development and using his talent.  If that is true, it will also help this offense that has been starved from a standpoint of player development, quite a bit.  Plus, I think he has the moxie to be a strong presence and not get run over by John.  I might not 'love' his offensive style the most....but let's see if he can make something out of this bunch.  They all need to get their confidence back, and their aggressiveness.  Now........on the defensive side of things....how long is Pees going to stay around do you think??????  we really need the toughness and swarming style there again.  we are far too mechanical...robotic, and styled to 'prevent' rather than crush.  we all see how well 'prevent' works when you face a really good QB.   And can we learn to TACKLE?

Here's the Texans' fans take on Kubiak:

1. Run-run-pass predictability

2. He is stubborn

3. He wants his QBs to do what he tells them to do and not think for themselves or audible at the LOS

Seen that movie before?

#15 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Kubiak as OC....who could have predicted this hire?? Oh that's right I did.....

and who would have guessed OCF would be his normal negative self

Edited by can you hear me now!, 27 January 2014 - 06:51 PM.

:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#16 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Kubiak as OC....who could have predicted this hire?? Oh that's right I did.....

and who would have guessed OCF would be his normal negative self

LOL @ negative. It's a shame you can't think critically without resorting to such weak oversimplifications.

And you guessed Kubiak? Wow. Good for you! (Although...I checked your "posts" and I sure don't see anywhere where you posted about Kubiak. Got a link?)

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 27 January 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#17 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

I'm surprised that Harbaugh went with someone with extensive head coaching experience. You would think Harbaugh might now be looking over his shoulder especially if the team continues it's struggles into next season. How many times have you seen an Offensive Coordinator with head coaching experience ascend up to Head Coach when the regular Head Coach gets let go.

:cool:

Flu

What is a veteran? This is the best definition I've found:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

#18 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

I'm surprised that Harbaugh went with someone with extensive head coaching experience. You would think Harbaugh might now be looking over his shoulder especially if the team continues it's struggles into next season. How many times have you seen an Offensive Coordinator with head coaching experience ascend up to Head Coach when the regular Head Coach gets let go.

:cool:

A lot. And that's exactly why it appears as if this wasn't a John Harbaugh hire. (That, and the way this whole thing evolved. But Kubiak is the guy now, and it's going to be an interesting 2014.)

Maybe the best thing to come out of this is Dennison as QB coach. Dennison knows O-lines and offenses, that's for sure. So if he can get Joe in some sort of rhythm during the game, that'd be a big help.

#19 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

One question will definitely be:

Is Kubiak going to remain on the sideline, or head up into the booth? The difference is that if he stays on the sideline he can call the plays directly into Joe, and that will speed things up. By Caldwell being up in the booth, he was couldn't call the plays in directly, and that added another step, and more time wasted.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 27 January 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#20 Andy in Hagerstown

Andy in Hagerstown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

I think that people need to take more time to look at some of the articles and stats that are out there about Kubiak. They are very impressive. His offenses have been among the best throughout his career. While in Denver his teams led the NFL in total yards and TD's during that stretch. Even if he is run, run, pass if that formula is run with creativity it can be successful. We have never had a coordinator with his resume and I'm excited about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users