• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 escheinersold

escheinersold

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

Burnnett "and" Arroyo. Sets up a sold rotation. Give the minors a chance to develop properly. Provides depth with Matusz and MacFarland wanting to try out the rotation. 

This all require one element missing up to now-Investment Spending to continue Winning and Position the Birds for a run at the marbles.It would add impetus to signing Davis and Hardy.

Now let's see IF there is life yet for this season.

Ed So Pa Fan
:P

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,465 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

We don't need pitching. The "Young Pitching" will carry the day. Just like the last 20 years.
The kids are alright.

#3 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,377 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

I doubt Burnett wants to come back to the AL East

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#4 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Gotta say... why do we think a 37 year old guy who was 10 and 11 in the national league last year is somehow going to do amazing things in the AL East.

Don't see it. Want to be wrong but I feel the same way about Arroyo.

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,038 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

Gotta say... why do we think a 37 year old guy who was 10 and 11 in the national league last year is somehow going to do amazing things in the AL East.

Don't see it. Want to be wrong but I feel the same way about Arroyo.

When will you guys learn the record of a pitcher isn't the full measure of his abilities or contribution. Burnett pitched to an ERA of 3.30. How many O's starting pitchers matched or exceeded that last season? You get one guess

Edited by bmore_ken, 29 January 2014 - 06:56 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:39 AM

Burnett would be an improvement to the rotation. the team would be better with him. but I'd be shocked if he came here. the only reason the O's are interested, is because they won't have to give him a long contract. but they'll still need to give him market value. and that's just not how this team operates. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,038 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

Burnett would be an improvement to the rotation. the team would be better with him. but I'd be shocked if he came here. the only reason the O's are interested, is because they won't have to give him a long contract. but they'll still need to give him market value. and that's just not how this team operates. 

I agree on all points

#8 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

The only reason I could see Burnett wanting to play in Baltimore is that he lives in Monkton. He'd get to sleep in his own house at night.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

The only reason I could see Burnett wanting to play in Baltimore is that he lives in Monkton. He'd get to sleep in his own house at night.

agreed

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#10 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Burnett was pretty bad his last few years with the Yanks. Perhaps going to Pittsburgh helped restore his confidence a bit.

Still, he has lousy numbers in Camden Yards and the AL in general. I think he'd prefer to stay in the NL where he has been more successful.

Edited by soulflower, 29 January 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#11 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

When will you guys learn the record of a pitcher isn't the full measure of his abilities or contribution. Burnett pitched to an ERA of 3.30. How many O's starting pitchers matched or exceeded that last season? You get one guess

But again, that's in the national league.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,038 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

But again, that's in the national league.

That's irrelevant. The NL has hitters just like the AL. If you're talking about the DH, the O's proved last year having the DH rule doesn't make every AL team a power house. There are very few Frank Thomas' and Edgar Martinez type DHs in the AL anymore.

#13 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

That's irrelevant. The NL has hitters just like the AL. If you're talking about the DH, the O's proved last year having the DH rule doesn't make every AL team a power house. There are very few Frank Thomas' and Edgar Martinez type DHs in the AL anymore.

Burnett has bad numbers against AL hitters. His numbers have always been better in the NL. That's a fact.

#14 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,038 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

Not really. He pitched decent in Toronto (including an 18-10 season) and had 2 bad years in NY. Either way he's s an upgrade over most of the candidates for the 4-5 spots in the rotation, maybe even the 3

Edited by bmore_ken, 29 January 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#15 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Burnett has bad numbers against AL hitters. His numbers have always been better in the NL. That's a fact.

Yeah, I don't think it's completely irrelevant.  I cannot imagine many AL teams with a DH that hits for a lower average than 90% or so of NL pitchers.  However, you'd really have to crunch numbers hard to judge the impact, because with the frequency of changing pitchers at the level it is nowadays, SPs may only face their counterpart twice a game (twice is absolutely a guess) on average.  

His numbers against the AL are probably more relevant.

#16 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

Not really. He pitched decent in Toronto (including an 18-10 season) and had 2 bad yers in NY. Either ways an upgrade over most of the candidates for the 4-5 spots in the rotation, maybe even the 3

He's not the same pitcher he was when he pitched for Toronto. That was before he got surgery.

He had one decent year with the Yankees. The other two were bad.

I watched him get lit up by the Red Sox and Orioles enough times to think he probably won't want to return to the AL East. He could go to the Nationals or Phillies and still be close to home...

Edited by soulflower, 29 January 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,038 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's completely irrelevant.  I cannot imagine many AL teams with a DH that hits for a lower average than 90% or so of NL pitchers.  However, you'd really have to crunch numbers hard to judge the impact, because with the frequency of changing pitchers at the level it is nowadays, SPs may only face their counterpart twice a game (twice is absolutely a guess) on average.  

His ERA hovered right around 4 in the AL except the last 2 years in NY. He was no Nolan Ryan but he was solid in the AL with the exception of those two years

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,038 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

He's not the same pitcher he was when he pitched for Toronto. That was before he got surgery.

He had one decent year with the Yankees. The other two were bad.

I watched him get lit up by the Red Sox and Orioles enough times to think he probably won't want to return to the AL East. He could go to the Nationals or Phillies and still be close to home...

Yeah let's not consider him. we can just throw Gausman and Matucsz out there <_<

Edited by bmore_ken, 29 January 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#19 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's completely irrelevant. I cannot imagine many AL teams with a DH that hits for a lower average than 90% or so of NL pitchers. However, you'd really have to crunch numbers hard to judge the impact, because with the frequency of changing pitchers at the level it is nowadays, SPs may only face their counterpart twice a game (twice is absolutely a guess) on average.

The frequency of regular season Interleague play has somewhat obscured the differences between the leagues I think. But still, a DH is always going to be more productive at hitting than a pitcher and even with the changes, pitchers still get a significant number of plate appearances in the NL.

#20 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Yeah let's not consider him. we can just throw Gausman and Matucsz out there <_<

Arroyo and Jimenez are still available.

Jimenez was pretty lights out in the second half of last season

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users