Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

And if Flacco had played Peyton's game today..........

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

I have to wonder what the reaction in Baltimore would have been today if it were the Ravens playing Seattle, and Joe had put in the performance that Peyton has today? Would we be hearing the comparisons to Brady and Manning...along with calls to 'dump the bum'? Would there be the play by play critiques of everything Flacco did, including how he sat on the bench, and the expressions on his face. Would there be endless recriminations about how pitiful he is, and has no place among the top 20 NFL QB's...if even that good? Well, today this IS Peyton Manning......and this is what he is laying down when the legacy is on the line....to prove to the world he is not a 'choker'...... Think we will be hearing fans in Denver saying they should throw this clown overboard? ....... Sometimes there's more to a situation than just the QB and whether he is 'great or terrible'.....often it's somewhere in the middle. I always look at the supporting cast, and also the coaches. Your team can make you look like a bum.....or a star..... Of course, I realize Joe is not Peyton, or Tom...but still....sometimes many of us miss the 'middle ground'. It's not all black or white. Just a thought.......

#2 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

We'd never hear the end of it.

#3 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

I heard Aikman say: "Manning is much better when the line gives him time to throw".

#4 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,734 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

I have to wonder what the reaction in Baltimore would have been today if it were the Ravens playing Seattle, and Joe had put in the performance that Peyton has today? Would we be hearing the comparisons to Brady and Manning...along with calls to 'dump the bum'? Would there be the play by play critiques of everything Flacco did, including how he sat on the bench, and the expressions on his face. Would there be endless recriminations about how pitiful he is, and has no place among the top 20 NFL QB's...if even that good? Well, today this IS Peyton Manning......and this is what he is laying down when the legacy is on the line....to prove to the world he is not a 'choker'...... Think we will be hearing fans in Denver saying they should throw this clown overboard? ....... Sometimes there's more to a situation than just the QB and whether he is 'great or terrible'.....often it's somewhere in the middle. I always look at the supporting cast, and also the coaches. Your team can make you look like a bum.....or a star..... Of course, I realize Joe is not Peyton, or Tom...but still....sometimes many of us miss the 'middle ground'. It's not all black or white. Just a thought.......

Go to the archives and look...Flacco turned in a games as bad in Seattle two years ago.

#5 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,450 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

People always need a reminder that football is very much a team game... the Seahawks turned this in to a blow-out with big plays by all three aspects of their team.

Defensively they're not worried about Peyton beating them downfield, jumping all over the short quick stuff Peyton lives on, AND getting pressure on the edges consistently all night.  He's not comfortable enough to look for broken coverages 2 or 3 seconds downfield... he's looking to unload quickly on almost every play.  And they're tackling at the spot of the catch very, very well.

I've pointed this out many times before, but so much of Peyton's yardage with the Broncos has come with short quick throws and guys like Decker, Thomas, Thomas, etc. making big plays after they get the ball in their hands.  The Seahawks haven't allowed really ANY of that tonight.  Peyton's COMP / ATT numbers are fine.  Great even.  But there's NOTHING positive happening after the completion. 

Edited by Ravens2006, 02 February 2014 - 09:43 PM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#6 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:13 PM

You Baltimorons would be calling for Harbaugh's head and Flacco to be traded.  Manning all season had no defense stick their wr's at the los and this caused his disruption of routes. In all fairness he was terrible

#7 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:14 PM

You Baltimorons would be calling for Harbaugh's head and Flacco to be traded.  Manning all season had no defense stick their wr's at the los and this caused his disruption of routes. In all fairness he was terrible

#8 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:14 PM

#9 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,354 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

Seattle was simply better and more intense tonight.  If that had been Flacco and the Ravens it probably would have been the Superbowls first shut out.   If the NFL's best offense could get schooled that bad, imagine what a mediocre offense would have done. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#10 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Seattle was simply better and more intense tonight.  If that had been Flacco and the Ravens it probably would have been the Superbowls first shut out.   If the NFL's best offense could get schooled that bad, imagine what a mediocre offense would have done.

Well, you can't get too much worse than 8 points! I still say that if Flacco had performed exactly as Peyton did last night, we would hear nothing but diatribes and demeaning criticism for the next few years. Peyton gets to have excuses. With Joe...it's always all him when anything goes wrong. When he puts the team on his back and runs through the playoffs and wins a Super Bowl in great fashion.....everybody blows it off in a few weeks. Of course I am just describing the entrenched Flacco haters. He does have his flaws....but he is nowhere as bad as the haters make him out to be. And on the other hand...Peyton gets the afterglow of his reputation and on field coaching prowess to elude criticism whenever HE blows games or has poor performances. How many Super Bowls has Peyton won.......I forget? Must be a whole bunch, huh? I mean Joe couldn't carry his bags, right? Was it six???.......... Hmmmm....

#11 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

One segment would be callling for Flacco's head, another segment would be screaming about coaching costing the team (and Flacco) a win, yet another would curse the OL, a fourth would blame the defense for not making any stops, and a few voices would say: Wow!  Seattle's defense was unbelievable; it reminded me of the old Ravens' defenses.

#12 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

And HOW many times was Manning sacked? ONE?!!! ONE TIME???! And the announcers are pointing out how "bad" the Denver O-line was?!!! Are you KIDDING ME? And that's exactly why I've felt from day one that the deck has been stacked against Joe. Not ONLY was he the second highest sacked QB in the NFL last year, but the running game was among the worst, the TEs were among the worst, and the receivers were average at best. But with Joe, it's always HIS fault.

(And when I heard some announcer talk about how Wilson worked with one of his WRs in the offseason leading up to the regular season, all I could hear in my head were all those dumbazz posters talking about how Ozzie would be doing a great job if he could bring in some castoff WR AT THE END OF THE PRESEASON, as if they truly had no effin clue how important it is to get the QB and the WRs ON THE SAME PAGE from the git go, NOT as some sort of afterthought.)

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 03 February 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,278 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

Well, you can't get too much worse than 8 points! I still say that if Flacco had performed exactly as Peyton did last night, we would hear nothing but diatribes and demeaning criticism for the next few years. Peyton gets to have excuses.

Who's making excuses for Manning?

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#14 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

And HOW many times was Manning sacked? ONE?!!! ONE TIME???! And the announcers are pointing out how "bad" the Denver O-line was?!!! Are you KIDDING ME? And that's exactly why I've felt from day one that the deck has been stacked against Joe. Not ONLY was he the second highest sacked QB in the NFL last year, but the running game was among the worst, the TEs were among the worst, and the receivers were average at best. But with Joe, it's always HIS fault.

(And when I heard some announcer talk about how Wilson worked with one of his WRs in the offseason leading up to the regular season, all I could hear in my head was all those dumbazz posters talking about how Ozzie would be doing a great job if he could bring in some castoff WR AT THE END OF THE PRESEASON, as if they truly had no effin clue how important it is to get the QB and the WRs ON THE SAME PAGE from the git go, NOT as some sort of afterthought.)

Exactly!!!

#15 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

Who's making excuses for Manning?

LOL. How typical. Who's making excuses? Those who are saying it wasn't Manning who lost the game because it's a TEAM sport. That's who.

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,278 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

LOL. How typical. Who's making excuses? Those who are saying it wasn't Manning who lost the game because it's a TEAM sport. That's who.

Who said that?

#17 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Who said that?

:rolleyes:

#18 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,450 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Now, the article is correct... Peyton didn't get beat off the snap on the edges consistently... Peyton didn't snap the ball too early... Peyton didn't fumble away a long gain deep in to Seahawks territory and kill a drive... etc...

http://www.nfl.com/n...-peyton-manning

But I don't think it's pure imagination to say that you PROBABLY don't see these same stories run if Flacco was the QB.  Some of that comes with the love and adoration Peyton gets after being SO good for SO long, but it still doesn't make it "fair and balanced".  :)

Football is a game of matchups, and the Broncos strengths didn't match up well against the Seahawks strengths.  Throw in a handful of individual mistakes on Denver's side, and a few great individual plays on the Seahawks side, and you have the blow-out we saw.  The Seahawks defend the pass very well and are physical in the defensive backfield.  The Broncos got away from the run pretty much altogether, and couldn't threaten the secondary downfield. 

The Ravens as currently constructed (with ZERO run game to balance the attack) would have likely gotten blasted too.  But something tells me the headlines there wouldn't have paid much attention to the bad O-line and non-existent run game... it would have been about the QB and nothing else.

Edited by Ravens2006, 03 February 2014 - 12:54 PM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#19 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,278 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

:rolleyes:

Exactly

#20 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

Now, the article is correct... Peyton didn't get beat off the snap on the edges consistently... Peyton didn't snap the ball too early... Peyton didn't fumble away a long gain deep in to Seahawks territory and kill a drive... etc...

http://www.nfl.com/n...-peyton-manning

But I don't think it's pure imagination to say that you PROBABLY don't see these same stories run if Flacco was the QB.  Some of that comes with the love and adoration Peyton gets after being SO good for SO long, but it still doesn't make it "fair and balanced".  :)

Football is a game of matchups, and the Broncos strengths didn't match up well against the Seahawks strengths.  Throw in a handful of individual mistakes on Denver's side, and a few great individual plays on the Seahawks side, and you have the blow-out we saw.  The Seahawks defend the pass very well and are physical in the defensive backfield.  The Broncos got away from the run pretty much altogether, and couldn't threaten the secondary downfield. 

The Ravens as currently constructed (with ZERO run game to balance the attack) would have likely gotten blasted too.  But something tells me the headlines there wouldn't have paid much attention to the bad O-line and non-existent run game... it would have been about the QB and nothing else.

And I've already read that one of the ints wasn't Manning's fault, it was Thomas's fault, and the coaches sat him down immediately afterwards and showed him what HE did wrong. And the announcers during the game itself were talking about the poor O-line play, despite the fact that Manning was only sacked once. And I've read/heard about how poor John Fox and Jack Del Rio were as coaches, etc. And to date I haven't seen ONE THING SAID about HOW MUCH MONEY MANNING WAS PAID, yet EVERY article about Joe mentions his salary, and how that prevents the team from signing other players, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users