• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,892 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

Seems like a lot of money now but it will look like a bargain in 3 years. He's only 24 and has a ton of potential

Freeman broke into the major leagues in 2010 and has improved in every year since. He is coming off a 2013 campaign in which he hit .319 with 23 home runs, 109 RBIs and 89 runs scored in 147 games, making the National League All-Star team for the first time.

His Wins Above Replacement was 5.4, which ranked fourth in the majors among first basemen.

Also, Freeman became the first first baseman since Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda to post three 20-home run seasons through his age-23 season, according to ESPN Stats & Information. His three such seasons are tied for the most in major league history among primary first basemen.

http://espn.go.com/m...tract-extension

Edited by soulflower, 04 February 2014 - 08:25 PM.

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

I heard some Braves fans complain, on the radio, about this deal. but what do you expect from the worst fan base in baseball.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Great deal lock him up before the prime of his career. Now if we can only trade Dan Uggla...

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Meanwhile, the Orioles extended a 10 year, 10,000 dollar deal to Machado. His signing is imminent.
The kids are alright.

#5 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,892 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

I think we're going to see a lot more deals like this in the future.

It makes more sense to give a 24 year old a long term contract than a 30 year old free agent who's best years are likely behind him...

#6 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

In 2006 the Braves locked up Brian McCann for 7 years. We got him in his prime and now the Yankees can deal with a catcher whose body is starting to break down.

#7 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,994 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Not gonna help you this year, Johnny Brave.

Will you give me 2-1 that the Braves won't even make 2nd in the NL East ?

#8 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

What's Davis worth to the Orioles ? On the open market?

#9 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,892 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

What's Davis worth to the Orioles ? On the open market?

Right now Davis' stock is pretty high. If the Os let him become a free agent, they won't want to pay him what he's worth

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

Right now Davis' stock is pretty high. If the Os let him become a free agent, they won't want to pay him what he's worth

as a Boras client, he isn't likely to sign an extension. but it's not out of the question. I heard an interview with him, where he was asked what it's like to work with Boras. He was asked who makes the final decisions, him or Boras. Chris said Boras is a very close friend and while he's under the impression that some players hand all contract decision making over to Boras, he (Davis) makes the final decision on things.

I don't usually believe what players say when they are asked about the business side of the game. rarely does a player say anything other than, "I like it in (enter city's name here), I hope I can play my whole career here. but there is something in the way Davis discusses things that makes me think he really does want to stay with the O's.    

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#11 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,892 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

as a Boras client, he isn't likely to sign an extension. but it's not out of the question. I heard an interview with him, where he was asked what it's like to work with Boras. He was asked who makes the final decisions, him or Boras. Chris said Boras is a very close friend and while he's under the impression that some players hand all contract decision making over to Boras, he (Davis) makes the final decision on things.

I don't usually believe what players say when they are asked about the business side of the game. rarely does a player say anything other than, "I like it in (enter city's name here), I hope I can play my whole career here. but there is something in the way Davis discusses things that makes me think he really does want to stay with the O's.

He may truly want to stay with the Os. The question is, would he take less money to stay in Baltimore when he can likely get more money elsewhere?

These guys can't play baseball forever so I don't blame them for wanting to get paid as much as they can during the peak years of their careers.

If the Orioles are going to open their checkbook to try to extend Davis' contract, that might explain their lack of activity in the free agent market this year...

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

He may truly want to stay with the Os. The question is, would he take less money to stay in Baltimore when he can likely get more money elsewhere?

These guys can't play baseball forever so I don't blame them for wanting to get paid as much as they can during the peak years of their careers.

If the Orioles are going to open their checkbook to try to extend Davis' contract, that might explain their lack of activity in the free agent market this year...

after re-reading my post, I realized that I got off topic and didn't actually make my main point. thanks for bring me back to it  ;)

what I should have added is, I think Davis will stay for less than he can get on the open market. but that is still going to be a goodly sum of money. he isn't going to accept $11.5M/yr. he may stay for Adam Jones money (+ a bump for inflation). $16M/yr maybe?. he'd easily get $20 from Boston (none of the other big spenders have an opening at 1B).

as much as I like your thoughts on why the O's aren't spending big this winter, it always turns out that they don't spend, because they don't want to spend. it's never because they're socking it away to catch a bigger fish later on down the road.     

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,277 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

as much as I like your thoughts on why the O's aren't spending big this winter, it always turns out that they don't spend, because they don't want to spend. it's never because they're socking it away to catch a bigger fish later on down the road.     

Yeah remember all the homer arguments that they would spend when the team got competitive? I guess making the playoffs didn't count as competitive

Edited by bmore_ken, 07 February 2014 - 06:01 PM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

Yeah remember all the homer arguments that they would spend when the team got competitive? I guess making the playoffs didn't count as competitive

my thoughts exactly.

#15 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Why would Davis take less money on his first FA contract? And why would he do it in Baltimore which has not shown a desire to win a championship ?

It's not like he's 33 and has made $160million already.
And f the Orioles don't pay Davis market value, what would that say to Machado about team loyalty to core players ?

#16 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

Meanwhile the Braves are looking to lock up their young core of talent to long term deals Teheran and Simmons.

#17 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,994 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Meanwhile the Braves are looking to lock up their young core of talent to long term deals Teheran and Simmons.

And are apparently going All In on Freddie Freeman.

A 23 year old, 23 homer 1B,  Just signed to a record Braves contract.

I'm thinking that he knocked up Frank Wren's daughter or something equivalent.

#18 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Braves just locked up Craig Kimbrel 4 years/42 million.

#19 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,994 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Braves just locked up Craig Kimbrel 4 years/42 million.

Best current closer in the game.  Filthy stuff.

Still ain't gonna help you this year, Johnny Brave.

#20 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Braves lock up Simmons for a 7 year deal. In a few years we'll pick up an experienced 3rd baseman from the AL East.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users