#1 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,168 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

http://www.mlbtrader...rs-capuano.html

Oh ... man ...

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut, 08 February 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#2 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

Saunders???

You have got to be kidding me. 

#3 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

I would like to see Saunders back - but not as the only free agent veteran pickup.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:05 AM

Yep, that sounds about right.  Two average/below average pitchers who will be lit up like a bonfire at Camden Yards.  But in the world of Baltimore Oriole baseball, it's the body count that matters, not quality. 

#5 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

The O's need two veterans.  One should be a high ceiling guy (Santana?) and the other should be a reclamation project.  Garcia was last year's reclamation and either Capuano or Saunders could be the 2014 model.  But there's no way the O''s bring in both.   A guy like that will enable Gausman/Wright/Rodriguez to work on their repertoires while managing their innings in a more conducive atmosphere and then the best gets called up in the summer.  That's what the O's have done the last two years and there's no reason to expect a different course in 2014 when Tillman and Gonzalez both arrived via the strategy. It works, but the antsy crowd always ignores the patient approach.  Young dudes crave immediate gratification and mistake prudence for complacency. 

Either guy mentioned would challenge Norris, Chen and even Gonzalez for innings early on but ultimately would end up either in the bullpen or at Norfolk come summertime.  An innings eater early in the season keeps the guys that matter fresh when the season heats up. 

Like the prior moves, this is all about depth, nothing more, nothing less.  The big move needed is still out there but tire kicking is a recipe for failure once the practical vetting is exhausted.

Edited by weenie, 09 February 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#6 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

oy.

Edited by Thirteen, 09 February 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,932 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'd rather them go with what they have than bring in either of those two

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#8 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'd rather them go with what they have than bring in either of those two

I totally agree.  Matusz, britton, Johnson and Gausman can be better than those bums.  And that isn't saying a lot.  This is all part of the O's PR machine.  if you make the fans think you are going after these free agent scraps, they will be glad to have the mediocre existing options that are already on team.  Smoke and mirrors baby.  They had no intentions of ever bringing in a decent FA starter.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users