Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,326 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

Retweeted by Roch Kubatko

Source: #Orioles and Suk-Min Yoon are discussing final details of the contract. Can't say it's a done deal. But O's are clear front-runner.

#4 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

With a shoulder injury Yoon lost about 2 mph on his fastball, and converted to relief during 2013 season.

That is from the wikipedia article linked.

is Moon being thought of as a starter or a reliever? I really hope he is a candidate to be a starter.

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,690 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:16 AM

Though a starter, he has only thrown what we would consider an entire season's work (~175+ IP) once, in 2011. As best I can gather, the average starter in the KBO throws around 150 to 180 innings, making 25 to 30 starts, per season, often supplementing those starts with relief outings here and there.

Yet at the same time, any team that signs Yoon will likely do so with the intention of using him as a starter. So don’t expect a team to take a flier on the right-hander without a thorough evaluation of his medical history.

http://bleacherrepor...xt-hyun-jin-ryu

I wish him luck passing the O's physical

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:47 AM

That is from the wikipedia article linked.

is Moon being thought of as a starter or a reliever? I really hope he is a candidate to be a starter.

he's been a starter for most of his career. but he was injured last year and mostly worked out of the pen. so he could be a reliever, but he's probably being considered for the rotation.

from what I've read, it sounds like he is a #2 caliber guy, but the injury has lowered his value to mlb clubs. he could be another Chen, or he could be another Wada.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

Koji 2.0

He's a lot younger however. I'm guessing a deal much like Chen's is being offered (3 yrs @ 4M per with a 4th yr option).  That still leaves money for one more guy if the $17M quote is legit.  I've always been a Duquette apologist and these 11th hour deals can provide bargains occasionally.  Time to step up Dan and get a deal done.  Mr. Angelos please do not embarass another guy like you did Balfour and Colvin.

Edited by weenie, 12 February 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#8 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

If he can be a serviceable #3 starter, it's a staff improvement.  However, even if that's true, it's probably too little too late to really help this team challenge for a playoff spot.

BTW: His middle name would more properly (phonetically) be spelled Seok. And, yes, it is pronounced more like suck than sook.  Let's hope that's not an omen.

#9 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

If he can be a serviceable #3 starter, it's a staff improvement.  However, even if that's true, it's probably too little too late to really help this team challenge for a playoff spot.

BTW: His middle name would more properly (phonetically) be spelled Seok. And, yes, it is pronounced more like suck than sook.  Let's hope that's not an omen.

Reminds me of Fukudome a few years back.  ESPN made a commercial making fun of that pronunciation.

#10 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

Reminds me of Fukudome a few years back. ESPN made a commercial making fun of that pronunciation.

Whatever happened to that guy?

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Whatever happened to that guy?

he tanked. he was the position player equivalent of Irabu. he wasn't good enough for mlb. the Cubs learned that the hard way.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#12 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,763 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

He isn't the signing that the O's need. They already missed that boat this offseason waiting for the market to play out.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

of all the FA pitchers who were available this winter, Santana was among the best, not that the O's are going to sign him. this wasn't a winter filled with sure thing pitchers. Kazmir is iffy, Garza, Jimenez, Josh Johnson. Colon, Burnett and Santana are the 3 who really give me confidence that they'll deliver on the investment. but none can lead a staff or put a team over the top.   

Edited by weird-O, 12 February 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#14 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Highly Sophisticated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,192 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

He and Balfour will be great additions.

#15 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

The only positive thing I can say is that we're not losing the 1st round draft pick for this guy. Maybe we'll get lucky but you have to wonder if he has the stamina to start for an entire season.

#16 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

He isn't even going to come here. No chance he passes the immovable object that is the O's' physical, and that's assuming a deal is in place, which it isn't.
The kids are alright.

#17 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

He isn't even going to come here. No chance he passes the immovable object that is the O's' physical, and that's assuming a deal is in place, which it isn't.

#18 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,763 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

...and here it is.... http://www.masnsport...-year-deal.html of course the O's are in - he's cheap.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

less than $2M/yr? that seems like a steal. 

put him in the #5 slot, where he'll get bumped from starts, here and there throughout the season. that will keep his inning totals down and help him ease into the much more demanding schedule of MLB. 

if they added Santana, I would actually have some hope for this season. but that ain't gonna happen.

#20 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

Basically, Yoon has posted this picture on his Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/...2027648/photo/1

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Yoon_Suk-min

Low risk/ high reward. Solid international signing, makes the Orioles the talk of the Korean Pennisula.

But like Angelos and his good friend Fidel Castro, Angelos and Kim Jung-il May have a side agreement keeping Koreans off the roster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users