87 replies to this topic

#1 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Bullet points:

-They've tried to resign Wieters twice and he wants no part of it.
-Trying to sign Davis now but nothing is developing.
-Hardy is a target to be resigned
-Machado "has some work to do," and is "a work in progress to come back." He sounded extremely unenthusiastic about how he was doing.
-The Orioles will be fine with their young pitching.
-When asked about what happened with Balfour he simply said "they've moved on."
-When asked if his hands were tied he laughed and changed the subject.
-He expects the Orioles to be "formidable."
The kids are alright.

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Wieters is gone folks. start coming to terms with that now.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

I wonder if they will trade Wieters during the season. May as well try to get something for him.

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

The Orioles are the butt of every joke the hosts are making. Now they're talking about how they could very well finish last in the division. The consensus is that Duquette didn't mean the things he said with regards to the O's being a formidable team, and they all think that the problem is at the top, with the owner.
The kids are alright.

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

I wonder if they will trade Wieters during the season. May as well try to get something for him.

my guess is they won't trade him. Angelos doesn't like to move "fan favorite" players. that's why B-Rob was never traded, PGA wouldn't allow it. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

The Orioles are the butt of every joke the hosts are making. Now they're talking about how they could very well finish last in the division. The consensus is that Duquette didn't mean the things he said with regards to the O's being a formidable team, and they all think that the problem is at the top, with the owner.

as I mentioned in another thread, I like DD. but I don't believe anything he says. that's not a slight against him, it's his job to lie to us.  

#7 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

Wieters is gone folks. start coming to terms with that now.

I wonder why. Maybe he's hoping to play for the Braves as he's originally from South Carolina?

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,574 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:38 AM

I wonder why. Maybe he's hoping to play for the Braves as he's originally from South Carolina?

Him and Boras need to get paid I guess.  But if he hits like he did in 2013 again, that pay will be dropping.

Or he wants to play for a team interested in competing.

#9 bawlmer_fan

bawlmer_fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Matt's signed through 2015.

Plenty of time.  :rolleyes:

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Matt's signed through 2015.

Plenty of time.  :rolleyes:

roll your eyes all you want, but this is something they've been trying to do for 2 years. players don't turn down contract extensions when they want to stay. from what's being reported, it isn't a matter of the offer not being big enough. Boras isn't countering their offer. MW is flat out saying "I'm not interested in extending with your club" 

he doesn't even want to talk to the O's about a contract extension. and this isn't just the warehouse putting their spin on it. this has been said on MLB radio multiple times. 

#11 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

We have Evan Gattis and Christian Bethancourt in the system who is 22. We have BJ Upton and Uggla contracts around our necks now. 

#12 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,683 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

roll your eyes all you want, but this is something they've been trying to do for 2 years. players don't turn down contract extensions when they want to stay. from what's being reported, it isn't a matter of the offer not being big enough. Boras isn't countering their offer. MW is flat out saying "I'm not interested in extending with your club" 

he doesn't even want to talk to the O's about a contract extension. and this isn't just the warehouse putting their spin on it. this has been said on MLB radio multiple times. 

My guess is, they are wearing him out, and he's too proud to admit it.
So he instead says he doesn't want to work for them.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#13 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Oh please no.  The O's might lose a .245 hitting, pitch frame challenged, overhyped, soon to be 28 yr old backstop. 

Wieters will be hard to replace but his absence will not be critical. Both Davis and Hardy are more important. 

#14 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Oh please no.  The O's might lose a .245 hitting, pitch frame challenged, overhyped, soon to be 28 yr old backstop. 

Wieters will be hard to replace but his absence will not be critical. Both Davis and Hardy are more important. 

Actually,

Wieters is probably entering his prime and while put up some very good numbers over the next 5 years. In terms of offensive production, he's already one of the top catchers in the game.

#15 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

One of the great things about these Orioles is they don't give a rat's *** about what some radio hosts think of their team.

Actually, if I let doubters hold me back I would have never gotten anywhere in life so you can put me in the category of those who don't care what some hosts on mlb radio think as well.

And finally, despite your persistent doom and gloom, I happen to think two things.

1) They still have to play the games and the O's will play hard.

2) DD is trying to build a team that competes year in and year out. So far he's two for two so I am giving him a little slack.

Edited by JoyinMudville, 14 February 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#16 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,574 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

One of the great things about these Orioles is they don't give a rat's *** about what some radio hosts think of their team.

Actually, if I let doubters hold me back I would have never gotten anywhere in life so you can put me in the category of those who don't care what some hosts on mlb radio think as well.

And finally, despite your persistent doom and gloom, I happen to think two things.

1) They still have to play the games and the O's will play hard.

2) DD is trying to build a team that competes year in and year out. So far he's two for two so I am giving him a little slack.

There were glaring holes in the team last year that kept them from the playoffs.  They did nothing to plug those holes and got potentially worse in some cases like LF.  Hard to be optimistic.

#17 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

There were glaring holes in the team last year that kept them from the playoffs.  They did nothing to plug those holes and got potentially worse in some cases like LF.  Hard to be optimistic.

Lough is probably better defensively. Not sure about the offense but Mclouth, as much as I liked him, wasn't all that. If I recall, his post all star numbers were pretty lousy. He hit something like 230 in the 2nd half.

So, once Machado is back in form the O's will have a spectacular defense and a pretty intimidating lineup. 

Don't get me wrong, I thought the O's should have resigned Roberts as a one year bridge to Schoop and brought Beltran on board for his veteran and WS experience. I thought trading away the league's leader in saves was a risky move and it's tough for me to see if the bullpen is better or worse. Finally, I think we simply waited too long for 'the market to set' and lost out on a chance to bolster the bullpen.

Showalter seems to be very high on Flattery as a potential everyday 2nd baseman. I personally don't see it from an offensive standpoint but defensively he's very very good.

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,754 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:10 AM

So, once Machado is back in form the O's will have a spectacular defense and a pretty intimidating lineup. 

And they'll need it to bail out the rotation

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#19 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

That is not true at all. They traded for two starters, a reliever and a power hitting DH/outfielder. The deals didn't work out as would have liked but they didn't do nothing.

#20 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Wieters is another in a LONG long line of draft busts by the Orioles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users