• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

It will be interesting to see if the O's play Schoop at third a lot this spring.  He seems like he could project to be a better fit at third than second with his strong arm and emerging power.  Plus, I'm not sold on Flaherty or the rule 5 guy filling in there until Manny gets back.  Buck and DD seems to be in love with Flaherty for second base anyway. I think this could also be a window into the O's plans with JJ.  Schoop at third and Manny at short next year?  I love JJ, but he will be out of the O's pay range for an extension unless he gives a serious hometown discount.  I figure he is worth at least 12-13 mil a year after that stupid Peralta contract.  No way the O's pay that for a SS that is getting past his prime years.  Frankly, I wouldn't pay it either. The worst contracts are when you pay for past performance, not what you are going to get in the future.  Need dollars for Davis not Wieters.

#2 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

It will be interesting to see if the O's play Schoop at third a lot this spring.  He seems like he could project to be a better fit at third than second with his strong arm and emerging power.  Plus, I'm not sold on Flaherty or the rule 5 guy filling in there until Manny gets back.  Buck and DD seems to be in love with Flaherty for second base anyway. I think this could also be a window into the O's plans with JJ.  Schoop at third and Manny at short next year?  I love JJ, but he will be out of the O's pay range for an extension unless he gives a serious hometown discount.  I figure he is worth at least 12-13 mil a year after that stupid Peralta contract.  No way the O's pay that for a SS that is getting past his prime years.  Frankly, I wouldn't pay it either. The worst contracts are when you pay for past performance, not what you are going to get in the future.  Need dollars for Davis not Wieters.

You are absolutely correct.  It's about time to plan beyond Hardy.

#3 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

maybe it's all just happy talk but both sides have committed to pursuing an extension for Hardy and if I read correctly, DD said they were working to get one done before opening day.

I'm a big if it's not broke don't fix it guy so I personally would leave Machado at third.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

Hardy is 31 (turns 32 in August). a 4 year deal keeps him here thru the remainder of his prime years, while not committing to his decline years. I would keep him.

and remember, they can always trade him if things change. but look out. NY needs a SS next year. so long JJ, it's been good to know ya. enjoy the Bronx.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 afan

afan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Why is it the O's are being received as the Old KC teams of past. The Yankees used the KC teams as their aaa minor league system and than traded after they were ready. Now the O's are the Yanks *****es.To stop this let us concentrate on uor young talent. Schoop at third, Manny at short and why not JJ at 2nd. I think this is far better than saying bye to JJ. This also gives us a power lineup and with Flag coming off the bench a solid team.

#6 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hardy is 31 (turns 32 in August). a 4 year deal keeps him here thru the remainder of his prime years, while not committing to his decline years. I would keep him.

and remember, they can always trade him if things change. but look out. NY needs a SS next year. so long JJ, it's been good to know ya. enjoy the Bronx.

As cheap as the O's have been I just don't see them making a 4 year/50-60 million dollar deal here.  They can't afford another Brian Roberts flame out contract.  Roberts was 32 when he did his extension.  And JJ was injury prone before coming to Baltimore.  I think this may scare off Petey on an extension.

And you bring up a good point about the Yankees for next year.  He would be a perfect fit there and Cashman knows how good he is.  So forget about the home town discount when there is Johnny Peralta money in NY.   JJ will be gone either at the trading deadline or will walk as a free agent, IMO.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

As cheap as the O's have been I just don't see them making a 4 year/50-60 million dollar deal here.  They can't afford another Brian Roberts flame out contract.  Roberts was 32 when he did his extension.  And JJ was injury prone before coming to Baltimore.  I think this may scare off Petey on an extension.

And you bring up a good point about the Yankees for next year.  He would be a perfect fit there and Cashman knows how good he is.  So forget about the home town discount when there is Johnny Peralta money in NY.   JJ will be gone either at the trading deadline or will walk as a free agent, IMO.

as much as I like having JJ and that awesome defense, the time to trade him was this winter when StL was still searching for a SS. they have so much pitching, the O's would have been trading from a position of strength (defense), to satisfy an area of weakness (pitching).

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users