• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

Despite what you hear from Dynamite Dan, the Warehouse and others, Burnett says the Orioles showed little interest. "Very little," per the article.

http://sports.yahoo....45448--mlb.html

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- A.J. Burnett and the Philadelphia Phillies have completed a contract that guarantees the pitcher $15 million for 2014 and $22.5 million over two seasons.

Related Stories

Phillies, Burnett finalize $16 million deal The SportsXchange

So long, Pirates: A.J. Burnett signs with the Phillies.

Under the deal finalized Sunday, Burnett would make $33.5 million over two seasons if he makes 30 starts or more in both years.

The 37-year-old Burnett, who pitched for Pittsburgh for the last two seasons, chose the Phillies over the Pirates, he said, because of the proximity of the team to his home in Monkton, Md. Burnett said the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals showed very little interest.

''An hour and a half,'' Burnett said of the commute to Philadelphia from home. ''I can drive home and stay in my own house if I want to. ... I'll put it very simple, this is the first time in my career I made a decision that wasn't about A.J. Burnett. It was about my wife. It was about my kids. It was about playing somewhere where I'm at home and can still do what I love. And that feels good. It feels good. It was a no-brainer.''

Burnett revived his career with Pittsburgh the last two seasons, pitching to a 3.31 ERA and winning 26 games.

#2 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

If he brought those salary numbers to Baltimore, I think DD was wise not to pursue him.

37 is awfully old for a pitcher and that kind of contract.

#3 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

It's amazing the Orioles can actually find players who are good enough and cheap enough to play for them.

#4 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

Despite what you hear from Dynamite Dan, the Warehouse and others, Burnett says the Orioles showed little interest. "Very little," per the article.

http://sports.yahoo....45448--mlb.html

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- A.J. Burnett and the Philadelphia Phillies have completed a contract that guarantees the pitcher $15 million for 2014 and $22.5 million over two seasons.

Related Stories

Phillies, Burnett finalize $16 million deal The SportsXchange

So long, Pirates: A.J. Burnett signs with the Phillies.

Under the deal finalized Sunday, Burnett would make $33.5 million over two seasons if he makes 30 starts or more in both years.

The 37-year-old Burnett, who pitched for Pittsburgh for the last two seasons, chose the Phillies over the Pirates, he said, because of the proximity of the team to his home in Monkton, Md. Burnett said the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals showed very little interest.

''An hour and a half,'' Burnett said of the commute to Philadelphia from home. ''I can drive home and stay in my own house if I want to. ... I'll put it very simple, this is the first time in my career I made a decision that wasn't about A.J. Burnett. It was about my wife. It was about my kids. It was about playing somewhere where I'm at home and can still do what I love. And that feels good. It feels good. It was a no-brainer.''

Burnett revived his career with Pittsburgh the last two seasons, pitching to a 3.31 ERA and winning 26 games.

Then Burnett and his agent don't look at the internet. All we read about all winter was that the O's were hoping that AJ would not retire and pitch in Baltimore.

My sense is that the O's probably wanted a one year deal and offered 7 or 8 mil and the agent took that as "not very serious".

If he really was making a decision about "his wife and family" he'd be in Camden Yards which about 30 min from Monkton instead of Philly which is 90 min from Monkton.

Edited by JoyinMudville, 17 February 2014 - 01:50 AM.

#5 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,082 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

Burnett isn't worth $16 mil in the AL East.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:21 AM

Then Burnett and his agent don't look at the internet. All we read about all winter was that the O's were hoping that AJ would not retire and pitch in Baltimore.

My sense is that the O's probably wanted a one year deal and offered 7 or 8 mil and the agent took that as "not very serious".

If he really was making a decision about "his wife and family" he'd be in Camden Yards which about 30 min from Monkton instead of Philly which is 90 min from Monkton.

I agree. 

I'm not criticizing the guy. that's a ridiculous offer made by a desperate team. you take one last cash grab like that , when it's offered to you. but as you said, if he truly wanted to be close to home, he would have approached the O's and settled for a more modest salary.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

If "little interest" is defined by not wanting to pay that much, the Orioles were probably doing the right thing. Especially if they are willing to get Santana, Jiminez, or somebody (somebody GOOD) off the scrap heap later on this spring.

#8 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

Maybe he didn't want to be only 30 minutes from his wife.  With his ugly tattoos, I'm pretty confident she must nag the hell out of him.

#9 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,469 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

His agent was on the air earlier this week and said that AJ wasn't as aware of it, but both the Orioles and Nationals (I believe) showed very significant interest.
The kids are alright.

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,057 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

Sorry but DD would have been hammered for that contract. Good non signing in my opinion

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,315 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

earlier this week, I heard an interview with his agent. they asked him about AJ's comments about the O's lack of interest. his agent said, and I'm paraphrasing, 'I'm not sure why AJ would say that. I guess you have to ask him, because the Orioles were very aggressive in their interest. and while they satisfied the "close to home" variable, that wasn't as important as AJ's desire to stay in the NL"

Philly overpaid, and not by a little bit 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,057 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Yeah I don't know about the O's agrresiveness thing, but I posted last week that it was pretty much public knowledge that he wanted to stay in the NL

Edited by bmore_ken, 21 February 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,315 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Yeah I don't know about the O's agrresiveness thing, but I posted last week that it was pretty much public knowledge that he wanted to stay in the NL

totally.

it's cushy over there pitching to a dainty hitting pitcher once every go 'round the batting order. that's why Arroyo stayed in the NL. 

#14 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,006 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

if he truly wanted to be close to home, he would have approached the O's and settled for a more modest salary.

Um, no.

No one wants to play for Baltimore nowadays.

And thus, no one "settles" for Baltimore.

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,057 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Um, no.

Mr Jimenez says hello

Edited by bmore_ken, 21 February 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#16 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,006 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Mr Jimenez says hello

No he doesn't.  He says "hola". :)

I'm on record liking that deal.

Still, it was made after spring training started,

#17 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

Um, no.

They don't want to pitch in a band box nor the al east

#18 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

They don't want to pitch in a band box nor the al east

Timing is everything.  This notion you have only holds true until the Red Sox, Yanks, Angels, Braves, Rangers, Cards and Dodgers finish shopping.  As of today, all the big boys are done buying and of the teams still active, I can't think of one that would be a better home then the yard.  Seattle?  Pittsburgh?  Toronto?

The Red Sox built a winner by avoiding the blockbuster deals and instead shopping in aisle two.  That where you find Napoli, Victorino and the like.  That's also where you can buy both Jimenez and Santana for less than one Tanaka costs.

Edited by weenie, 22 February 2014 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users