• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

What say ye? Given the glaring needs along the O-line, should the Ravens look at Richie Incognito as a possible solution to their problems?

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 17 February 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

I agree with your comment in the other thread. I hope this isn't a sentimental signing where they pay for past performance rather than future production. but this article adds some clarity. it sounds like he's essentially restructuring his deal to make cap room, and as a reward, he gets some more guaranteed money (I admit that I'm reading some of this into the deal, since the details aren't known yet). it's quid pro quo between him and the team.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 Fang

Fang

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

NO.

Don't sign anyone from the Dolphins line including Martin himself.

#4 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

Ooops. Looks like two threads got crossed. I'm sure you're responding to the Suggs contract extension, not consideration of signing Incognito. I thought I changed this thread's topic so it wouldn't be a repeat thread.

#5 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Wouldn't touch either guy, Incognito or Martin.  I don't think Incognito is THAT good that it's worth the potential drama.  I think most folks don't realize how crass, politically incorrect, and immature a professional sports team locker room can be... and the NFL might be the worst.  Incognito's the type that's at the head of the class when you think of the typical "A-hole frat boy jock".  And Martin's handling of it... I know it's "politically incorrect" to say this but who cares... "weak" to say the least.  I think both guys have issues upstairs that their talent isn't significant enough to ignore...

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#6 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

If either Martin or Incognito was the kind of proven dominating talent that would make a big difference, then it could be worth gambling on the disturbance all the drama and controversy would bring with them. I have not heard that either is that type of player, so I would much prefer to pass. There has to be guys that can do the job as well without the baggage.

#7 West Chester Raven

West Chester Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

I don't know which of the two is worse. Agree with posters.

Incognito seems like a Class A jerk, frat bot type who had charachter concerns comng into the draft.

Martin seems like a whiny baby who can't play and frustrated his teammates and coaches to the point of trying these crazy bullying tactics to try to get some sort of production out of him. Not saying that justifies the bullying, but Martin made himself a target by practicng soft and being the "weakest link" in the chain.

Don't want a stupid jerk OR a soft-as-pudding crybaby on the team.

#8 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

I agree that neither player have shown they're worth the baggage they bring.

#9 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

Nope.

#10 JasonM

JasonM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

No.  Never.  Too much baggage.

#11 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

no way Jose. Not good fit for the team or local area. Trust me, there would be alot of media and activist criticism. Maybe another Florida team.

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Ooops. Looks like two threads got crossed. I'm sure you're responding to the Suggs contract extension, not consideration of signing Incognito. I thought I changed this thread's topic so it wouldn't be a repeat thread.

I think I slipped in a reply before the title change. I was too quick on the draw.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#13 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

I think I slipped in a reply before the title change. I was too quick on the draw.

It was my bad. I posted a thread about Suggs having signed today without seeing that one was already posted yesterday regarding the pending signing.

(And on sports message boards, unlike some other favorite past times, being too quick on the draw is usually a good thing.)

:o

#14 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

And for the record...

I don't think the Ravens should sign Incognito even if he agreed to pay THEM.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

Wouldn't touch either guy, Incognito or Martin.  I don't think Incognito is THAT good that it's worth the potential drama.  I think most folks don't realize how crass, politically incorrect, and immature a professional sports team locker room can be... and the NFL might be the worst.  Incognito's the type that's at the head of the class when you think of the typical "A-hole frat boy jock".  And Martin's handling of it... I know it's "politically incorrect" to say this but who cares... "weak" to say the least.  I think both guys have issues upstairs that their talent isn't significant enough to ignore...

you broke it down really well. 

from an on the field perspective. I say sign him, if he improves the line (I'm not sure he does/doesn't, but I would let that be the factor I prioritize).

all that other stuff is fodder that is quickly forgiven if the player performs well. like you said, the clubhouse isn't the same as an office or typical business. if I remember correctly, most of the comments from players were more tolerant of what he said, than they were of Martin's decision to open the locker room doors to the public. that was absolutely a sign of emotional and physical weakness.   

maybe the best people to ask are the players themselves. if the team leaders (whoever they are these days) approve, then I would sign him.   

#16 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

It was my bad. I posted a thread about Suggs having signed today without seeing that one was already posted yesterday regarding the pending signing.

(And on sports message boards, unlike some other favorite past times, being too quick on the draw is usually a good thing.)

:o

good stuff  :D

#17 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

you broke it down really well. 

from an on the field perspective. I say sign him, if he improves the line (I'm not sure he does/doesn't, but I would let that be the factor I prioritize).

all that other stuff is fodder that is quickly forgiven if the player performs well. like you said, the clubhouse isn't the same as an office or typical business. if I remember correctly, most of the comments from players were more tolerant of what he said, than they were of Martin's decision to open the locker room doors to the public. that was absolutely a sign of emotional and physical weakness.   

maybe the best people to ask are the players themselves. if the team leaders (whoever they are these days) approve, then I would sign him.   

I think behavioral clauses can be added to contrcats these days, can't they?  IE This contract is void if...

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

I think behavioral clauses can be added to contrcats these days, can't they?  IE This contract is void if...

I think you're right.

#19 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

I think you're right.

Then my opinion is that IF no better options present themselves, that the Ravens take a chance on him having finally learned a lesson and hedge that bet by structuring a contract that demands he be on his best behavior on and off the field; maybe even include mandatory counseling.

#20 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,052 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

I am a Giants fan and I hope we sign him. The right coach can handle him. In the NFL talent often wins out over head cases. In NY it would be a one day story and the media would move on to other stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users