Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

O's sign Ubaldo Jimenez

60 posts in this topic

Per ESPN: http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=10472838

So much for not signing any FA pitchers. This could be a disaster or a season saver depending on which guy they get.

I'm in shock!  I guess we'll see how that physical goes. I may have some posts to eat after this one and the Korean kid.  I was just getting ready to start a thread ripping Schmuck and the O's for thinking Britton was a viable option as a fifth starter.  Guess I'll throw that one on the fireplace, LOL!

Good pickup. Giving up the draft choice is big deal to this team. 3/39 would have been better.but this is the going rate. Too bad the O's only do this once in a while. If they would have done this twice a year each year they'd be champs.

This move scares the bejesus out of me. But I do hope he an pitch like he did in '10 in Colorado. Or even last year. But this could backfire.

Edited by Grindelwald

Most deals can backfire. It's the nature of the free agency game today. FWIW, this is probably a slightly below market value deal. Getting a potential #2-3 for 12mil per is pretty cheap nowadays in mlb.

I would rather have Jimenez than Santana or Arroyo, especially for this ballpark.

Edited by Gizmo

This could be a disaster or a season saver depending on which guy they get.

Agreed. It could also allow us a little more flexibility come trade deadline time.

Edited by JoyinMudville

Upside is:

- He's still relatively young and in his prime

- He gets a lot of ground balls and Baltimore's defense should help him a ton

- He has pitched well over decent stretch of time in the AL 

- They don't appear to have overpaid for his services

Downside is:

- The Orioles don't know which Ubaldo they'll get. There are legit concerns about his consistency and work ethic

- There are injury concerns about his side-arm delivery 

------------------------

I think there's more to like than not like about the deal. Especially if he isn't getting AJ Burnett money annually...

Upside is:

Downside is:

- The Orioles don't know which Ubaldo they'll get. There are legit concerns about his consistency and work ethic

------------------------

I think there's more to like than not like about the deal. Especially if he isn't getting AJ Burnett money annually...

His walk rate is a little troubling.

Wow. About time. I think this helps but 4 years? I still wonder if they don't need a bat too.

They could use a bat, but there isn't one on the market that fits their needs. If they could also get Santana, that would be huge.

I'm a bit nervous about losing the draft pick in what is supposed to be a deep draft, but hopefully they will be able to find ways to compensate.

Risky, but I'll take it.  Other competitive teams make risky moves every year so it's about time the Orioles take a shot.

Rumor has it that Angelos will be personally supervising his physical.

Upside is:

Downside is:

------------------------

The key comment you mentioned with "positives" is that he throws ground balls.  Unfortunately, in recent years, he's doing less and less of that.  Additionally, he throws a ton of pitches, which doesn't bode well in the band box known as Camden Yards.  The way I'm looking at this signing is that if he can win around 15 games, pitch to an E.R.A. between 3.50-4.00, work deep into most games and stay healthy, then I think it was a good move.  I don't expect much more than that.  But the ground ball issue is something that's very important not only for Jimenez but the whole staff.  When you have the best defense in the American League behind you and you throw 202 homerun balls, that's inexcusable. 

$12M per is a significant reduction from both Ubaldo and Ervin's original asking prices.  Of the two, Jimenez has greater potential but also is a bit more volatile.  With Yoon adding depth, Gausman can relax and focus on finding a place to live at the beach.  Norris now becomes a wildcard who could either start, setup or even close.  These two adds give Buck more opportunities to ideally slot his guys.   Steve Johnson and Zach Britton will need to dazzle to gain spots.

IMO, Dan waited for the market to come to him and got a better deal then either Philly or AZ did (Burnout, Arroyo).  and, I'd much rather have Jimenez at $12M then Feldman at $10M.

Based on DDs $17M assertion, this leaves @$3M in reserves for one more bat.  That's not Kendrys or Cruz but is there a retread out there in the $3M range? 

$12M per is a significant reduction from both Ubaldo and Ervin's original asking prices.  Of the two, Jimenez has greater potential but also is a bit more volatile.  With Yoon adding depth, Gausman can relax and focus on finding a place to live at the beach.  Norris now becomes a wildcard who could either start, setup or even close.  These two adds give Buck more opportunities to ideally slot his guys.   Steve Johnson and Zach Britton will need to dazzle to gain spots.

IMO, Dan waited for the market to come to him and got a better deal then either Philly or AZ did (Burnout, Arroyo).  and, I'd much rather have Jimenez at $12M then Feldman at $10M.

Based on DDs $17M assertion, this leaves @$3M in reserves for one more bat.  That's not Kendrys or Cruz but is there a retread out there in the $3M range? 

Whether this signing works or not, it's a (very rare) positive sign that the purse strings may be loosening.

Ref the bat. With all the power already on this team, it doesn't even have to be a power hitter; just someone who can hit for a reasonably high average. Hell, there's no rule saying a DH can't be a classic leadoff hitter with base stealing skills.

Nice job Duquette.  about time we made a move.  Lock up a somewhat young 30 year old pitcher for 4 years.  Even if he doesn't give us what he did in Colo he will be a solid top of the rotation guy.    Now go out and get us Kendrys Morales at DH and we have a contender or anyone who can hit better than the 9 spot at DH lol

I'm not impressed.  I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Orioles will regret this in the long run.

They got him for $12 mill a year, thats not much money in today's market, very low risk, especially all the $$$ that the O's and MASN are raking in.  Y'all have been conditioned by Angelos to be cheapskates.   I think its a great move and think they should go out and get a hitter at DH as well.   Make this team better, spend the money.   I'm not asking for stupid Cano and Tanaka money here.  This was smart money.

I agree.  I would rather have had Jimenez than any other FA starter out there.  And at that price it was somewhat of a bargain.  I kind of liked Garza, but his injuries of late are scary.  And he really doesn't have dominate stuff like Jimenez.  Another comparison is Nolasco getting 4/49M from Twinks.  Yikes.  Now there is a stinker of a deal. Any of these FA front line pitchers carry risk.  But I'll take the guy we got because he has shown he can be a dominant No. 1.  His last 23 starts last year he pitched to a 2.41 ERA.  And when the Tribe was in the heat of the wild card race in Sept he went 4-0 with a 1.09 ERA (at least that's what bleacher report said).  I'll take that any day of the week.  Nice move DD.

I agree.  I would rather have had Jimenez than any other FA starter out there.  

for the most part, I agree with you. I would have been happier with Santana. he doesn't have the flashes of brilliance that Jimenez has. but he has been much more consistent. I liken Jimenez to Daniel Cabrera. sometimes he will take the ball and be amazing. but other times he'll get chewed up. he's far better than Cabrera, but they both have peaks and valleys to their performance. 

but at $12.5M, it's a good deal. that's 4th starter money. if he only ever pitches like a back of the rotation guy, they got what they paid for. if he pitches like he did last season, they got a steal of a deal.

he'll be here when Gausman and Bundy come up to stay. and that projects to be 3/5 of a solid rotation. 

for the most part, I agree with you. I would have been happier with Santana. he doesn't have the flashes of brilliance that Jimenez has. but he has been much more consistent. I liken Jimenez to Daniel Cabrera. sometimes he will take the ball and be amazing. but other times he'll get chewed up. he's far better than Cabrera, but they both have peaks and valleys to their performance. 

but at $12.5M, it's a good deal. that's 4th starter money. if he only ever pitches like a back of the rotation guy, they got what they paid for. if he pitches like he did last season, they got a steal of a deal.

he'll be here when Gausman and Bundy come up to stay. and that projects to be 3/5 of a solid rotation. 

What about Tillman?  That looks like 4/5 of a solid rotation and when LH Rodriguez makes it, we be set!  Let the good times roll.

What about Tillman?  That looks like 4/5 of a solid rotation and when LH Rodriguez makes it, we be set!  Let the good times roll.

I had him on my mind when I wrote that last post. I think Tillman, Wei Yin & Gonzo  are only here thru 2016, unless they extend. I like all of those guys, it would be great to see them stick around. 

They got him for $12 mill a year, thats not much money in today's market, very low risk, especially all the $$$ that the O's and MASN are raking in.  Y'all have been conditioned by Angelos to be cheapskates.   I think its a great move and think they should go out and get a hitter at DH as well.   Make this team better, spend the money.   I'm not asking for stupid Cano and Tanaka money here.  This was smart money.

Who's conditioned?

The only thing I don't like about this is the loss of the draft pick. I think DD had to wait on this guy in order to get his asking price down enough to get him in a uni.

He's 30, he throws hard, and he's been a dominant pitcher in the majors best hitter's park. Oh, and he doesn't give up homers, even when he's bad. Now, they just need to keep him throwing strikes.