#1 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Per ESPN: http://m.espn.go.com...toryId=10472838

So much for not signing any FA pitchers. This could be a disaster or a season saver depending on which guy they get.

Edited by Slidemaster, 17 February 2014 - 07:18 PM.

The kids are alright.

#2 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

Wow, that was unexpected. 

Especially if Roch is correct and the deal is 4/48.

Roch

#3 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

Per ESPN: http://m.espn.go.com...toryId=10472838

So much for not signing any FA pitchers. This could be a disaster or a season saver depending on which guy they get.

I'm in shock!  I guess we'll see how that physical goes. I may have some posts to eat after this one and the Korean kid.  I was just getting ready to start a thread ripping Schmuck and the O's for thinking Britton was a viable option as a fifth starter.  Guess I'll throw that one on the fireplace, LOL!

#4 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Good pickup. Giving up the draft choice is big deal to this team. 3/39 would have been better.but this is the going rate. Too bad the O's only do this once in a while. If they would have done this twice a year each year they'd be champs.

#5 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

I like it, rolling the dice a little.

#6 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Highly Sophisticated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,208 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

This move scares the bejesus out of me. But I do hope he an pitch like he did in '10 in Colorado. Or even last year. But this could backfire.

Edited by Grindelwald, 18 February 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#7 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

Most deals can backfire. It's the nature of the free agency game today. FWIW, this is probably a slightly below market value deal. Getting a potential #2-3 for 12mil per is pretty cheap nowadays in mlb.

I would rather have Jimenez than Santana or Arroyo, especially for this ballpark.

Edited by Gizmo, 17 February 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#8 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

This could be a disaster or a season saver depending on which guy they get.

Agreed. It could also allow us a little more flexibility come trade deadline time.

Edited by JoyinMudville, 17 February 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#9 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Wow. About time. I think this helps but 4 years? I still wonder if they don't need a bat too.
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#10 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,504 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

Upside is:

- He's still relatively young and in his prime

- He gets a lot of ground balls and Baltimore's defense should help him a ton

- He has pitched well over decent stretch of time in the AL 

- They don't appear to have overpaid for his services

Downside is:

- The Orioles don't know which Ubaldo they'll get. There are legit concerns about his consistency and work ethic

- There are injury concerns about his side-arm delivery 

------------------------

I think there's more to like than not like about the deal. Especially if he isn't getting AJ Burnett money annually...

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#11 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Highly Sophisticated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,208 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

Upside is:

Downside is:

- The Orioles don't know which Ubaldo they'll get. There are legit concerns about his consistency and work ethic

------------------------

I think there's more to like than not like about the deal. Especially if he isn't getting AJ Burnett money annually...

His walk rate is a little troubling.

#12 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,768 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

Wow. About time. I think this helps but 4 years? I still wonder if they don't need a bat too.

They could use a bat, but there isn't one on the market that fits their needs. If they could also get Santana, that would be huge.
I'm a bit nervous about losing the draft pick in what is supposed to be a deep draft, but hopefully they will be able to find ways to compensate.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#13 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:07 AM

Risky, but I'll take it.  Other competitive teams make risky moves every year so it's about time the Orioles take a shot.

Rumor has it that Angelos will be personally supervising his physical.

#14 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

Upside is:

Downside is:

------------------------

The key comment you mentioned with "positives" is that he throws ground balls.  Unfortunately, in recent years, he's doing less and less of that.  Additionally, he throws a ton of pitches, which doesn't bode well in the band box known as Camden Yards.  The way I'm looking at this signing is that if he can win around 15 games, pitch to an E.R.A. between 3.50-4.00, work deep into most games and stay healthy, then I think it was a good move.  I don't expect much more than that.  But the ground ball issue is something that's very important not only for Jimenez but the whole staff.  When you have the best defense in the American League behind you and you throw 202 homerun balls, that's inexcusable. 

#15 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:17 AM

$12M per is a significant reduction from both Ubaldo and Ervin's original asking prices.  Of the two, Jimenez has greater potential but also is a bit more volatile.  With Yoon adding depth, Gausman can relax and focus on finding a place to live at the beach.  Norris now becomes a wildcard who could either start, setup or even close.  These two adds give Buck more opportunities to ideally slot his guys.   Steve Johnson and Zach Britton will need to dazzle to gain spots.

IMO, Dan waited for the market to come to him and got a better deal then either Philly or AZ did (Burnout, Arroyo).  and, I'd much rather have Jimenez at $12M then Feldman at $10M.

Based on DDs $17M assertion, this leaves @$3M in reserves for one more bat.  That's not Kendrys or Cruz but is there a retread out there in the $3M range? 

#16 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

$12M per is a significant reduction from both Ubaldo and Ervin's original asking prices.  Of the two, Jimenez has greater potential but also is a bit more volatile.  With Yoon adding depth, Gausman can relax and focus on finding a place to live at the beach.  Norris now becomes a wildcard who could either start, setup or even close.  These two adds give Buck more opportunities to ideally slot his guys.   Steve Johnson and Zach Britton will need to dazzle to gain spots.

IMO, Dan waited for the market to come to him and got a better deal then either Philly or AZ did (Burnout, Arroyo).  and, I'd much rather have Jimenez at $12M then Feldman at $10M.

Based on DDs $17M assertion, this leaves @$3M in reserves for one more bat.  That's not Kendrys or Cruz but is there a retread out there in the $3M range? 

Whether this signing works or not, it's a (very rare) positive sign that the purse strings may be loosening.

Ref the bat. With all the power already on this team, it doesn't even have to be a power hitter; just someone who can hit for a reasonably high average. Hell, there's no rule saying a DH can't be a classic leadoff hitter with base stealing skills.

#17 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

Nice job Duquette.  about time we made a move.  Lock up a somewhat young 30 year old pitcher for 4 years.  Even if he doesn't give us what he did in Colo he will be a solid top of the rotation guy.    Now go out and get us Kendrys Morales at DH and we have a contender or anyone who can hit better than the 9 spot at DH lol

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

:o

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#19 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

I'm not impressed.  I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Orioles will regret this in the long run.

#20 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

I'm not impressed.  I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Orioles will regret this in the long run.

They got him for $12 mill a year, thats not much money in today's market, very low risk, especially all the $$$ that the O's and MASN are raking in.  Y'all have been conditioned by Angelos to be cheapskates.   I think its a great move and think they should go out and get a hitter at DH as well.   Make this team better, spend the money.   I'm not asking for stupid Cano and Tanaka money here.  This was smart money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users