Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marshan Man

Did Anyone Else Get a Crazy Water Bill??

73 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Fairly certain I fig out my water meter issues.  My digital meter has 9 numbers on it 000,000.000.  Over top each number is a little line indicating I assume which numbers are recorded in 100cubic feet.  My meter read 000371.000.  Only the first 4-6 numbers should be recorded based on what I read about other counties. However mine records 8 numbers. So my reading should be 371. Im charged based on every 100 cubic ft. Therefor I should be charged 371 divided by 100 = 3.71 cubic feet. However since they recorded more numbers than they should the 371 looks like 37100 divided by 100 = 371. Thus why it appears I am filling up a swimming pool. 

http://bbwsd.com/sites/default/files/sensus_iPERL.jpg

Edited by TheIcon

Now try explaining that to the powers that be!

Starting at post #26

So you saying the is no ' . ' between the later 3 and the ones to the right? And treating it as a whole number? Yeah norman is correct trying to explain it to 'them' maybe a big undertaking. Especially, if who you are talking to is a product of the BC educational system. ;)  :D 

Your math and reasoning to me is sound. Now is it sound to them? :o

So you have a choice here. Go into the meeting provided they dane to give you one with what you got or put together the picture show as we discussed then go in. Maybe a powerpoint presentation might work. :D

A suggestion; contact your district rep and tell him/her what you have....that might give you some leverage before you even go to a meeting.

I am really interested to hear the results....it seems that maybe why BC is still having problems. Being a former IT programmer/etc. seems to me that you have a case of what happened to one of the Mars landers...the one where the Europeans did the math for entry in metric and the American trackers were using the English.

It is MORE than perfectly possible that several computers that track the water consumption database have two different (or more) sets of tracking code. So one could look at your numbers as XXXxxx or the other could look at it as XXX.xxx.

Sorry about rambling.... I also taught computers in the county and colleges. Does it show? :D

Starting at post #26

So you saying the is no ' . ' between the later 3 and the ones to the right? And treating it as a whole number? Yeah norman is correct trying to explain it to 'them' maybe a big undertaking. Especially, if who you are talking to is a product of the BC educational system. ;)  :D

Your math and reasoning to me is sound. Now is it sound to them? :o

So you have a choice here. Go into the meeting provided they dane to give you one with what you got or put together the picture show as we discussed then go in. Maybe a powerpoint presentation might work. :D

A suggestion; contact your district rep and tell him/her what you have....that might give you some leverage before you even go to a meeting.

I am really interested to hear the results....it seems that maybe why BC is still having problems. Being a former IT programmer/etc. seems to me that you have a case of what happened to one of the Mars landers...the one where the Europeans did the math for entry in metric and the American trackers were using the English.

It is MORE than perfectly possible that several computers that track the water consumption database have two different (or more) sets of tracking code. So one could look at your numbers as XXXxxx or the other could look at it as XXX.xxx.

Sorry about rambling.... I also taught computers in the county and colleges. Does it show? :D

haha No worries. My main job is testing computer systems for the government and as you know the government makes alot of mistakes so Im use to testing and catching stuff.  I want to crack open my neighbors meter and see if his displays the same as mine or if it is different. 

haha No worries. My main job is testing computer systems for the government and as you know the government makes alot of mistakes so Im use to testing and catching stuff.  I want to crack open my neighbors meter and see if his displays the same as mine or if it is different. 

Isn't cracking open a bit extreme? :D But doing the same test on it as you do on yours might prove enlightening.

But knowing the way things work.....he will likely be screwed because his meter is under-reporting.

Yah I am cynical....life does that to some people. B)

Posted (edited)

Mine was as well MM. My wife said my sons girlfriend who was staying with us made the difference. I'm kinda skeptical that she would cause it nearly triple......

Edited by mrdeltoid

Posted (edited)

So the water guy came out and sure enough I was correct.  Only the first 4 digits should be recorded. They recorded the first 8 digits. However he says it is a billing issue. So I have to call again downtown and take it up with them. He says he turns in his report and says the meter works properly and the meter reading is "7" where before it was "371" (in reality it should ahve been "3"

The main question I have/had is if these new meters are digital with wifi and cars just drive by and pick up the info. How did my reading turn out incorrect? If mine was incorrect wouldn't everyone on the street be incorrect since it is software driven.  Who knows. They probably still have some dude sitting behind a 246 DX computer crunching numbers on excel spreadsheet.

Edited by TheIcon

So the water guy came out and sure enough I was correct.  Only the first 4 digits should be recorded. They recorded the first 8 digits. However he says it is a billing issue. So I have to call again downtown and take it up with them. He says he turns in his report and says the meter works properly and the meter reading is "7" where before it was "371" (in reality it should ahve been "3"

The main question I have/had is if these new meters are digital with wifi and cars just drive by and pick up the info. How did my reading turn out incorrect? If mine was incorrect wouldn't everyone on the street be incorrect since it is software driven.  Who knows. They probably still have some dude sitting behind a 246 DX computer crunching numbers on excel spreadsheet.

Thank you very much for taking the time to update. Glad for you to straightened out...well sort of....just cause the report says things in your favor....the trick is to get the pinheads to recognize the problem in the first place. Then getting them to reimburse  you, another.

Well you being read incorrectly maybe that your paricular machines hard wired circuit board had a glitch. Maybe you should walk around and knock on a few doors? Or drop off a flyer explaining your situation. With luck you will have more people that say 'what the?' that never noticed. It is always good to have numbers behind you.

Again good luck....let me know how it works out.

I checked mine on line 2 weeks ago and it $1200.00 for the month ;( I just haven't got around to calling, I'm obviously not paying, I wasn't even in the country for a month!

I checked mine on line 2 weeks ago and it $1200.00 for the month ;( I just haven't got around to calling, I'm obviously not paying, I wasn't even in the country for a month!

Watch it .... they will try to sell your house. ;)

Look who got caught up in a tax sale for unpaid water bills.

Scanning a list of properties that owed money to Baltimore authorities, Alexander Diener noticed something unusual — M&T Bank Stadium had an unpaid water bill of $5,400 and the lien on the property was up for auction.  A lien on Oriole Park at Camden Yards was on the auction list, too, also for a water bill.

At Monday's online auction, Diener and a business partner snapped up the lien on the Ravens stadium. Another investor took the $63,500 in outstanding debt on Oriole Park. Their investments mean they have the right to take ownership of the buildings if the debts remain unpaid.

The Maryland Stadium Authority, which owns both facilities, says it had good reason for not paying the bills — it disputes their accuracy. The legal hassle it faces is likely to add to the controversy surrounding Baltimore's program of auctioning such liens, putting many owners at risk of losing their properties.

I saw that article and my first thought is that the city probably got the water usage wrong.

6 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

matt...... all I can say is that you are a GEM and honest to goodness GEM!!! For finding and posting that article.

OK....the high falut'in The Maryland Stadium Authority nor the big time lawyer can't figure out or negotiate the water bill with BC. PRICELESS. hahahahhahahahahhahah wwwwoohhhhh let me catch my breath.

And how is 'joe-six pack' supposed too. This is too funny!

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

matt...... all I can say is that you are a GEM and honest to goodness GEM!!! For finding and posting that article.

OK....the high falut'in The Maryland Stadium Authority nor the big time lawyer can't figure out or negotiate the water bill with BC. PRICELESS. hahahahhahahahahhahah wwwwoohhhhh let me catch my breath.

And how is 'joe-six pack' supposed too. This is too funny!

Thank you.

Edited by Baltimatt

The outcome of this - because of the obviously high profile properties involved - might actually force the City to seriously explore this long-running issue.

1 hour ago, Struds said:

The outcome of this - because of the obviously high profile properties involved - might actually force the City to seriously explore this long-running issue.

My big concern is the outcome producing lower ticket costs. :lol:

I am so glad I have a well with great water. 

2 hours ago, mlatoman said:

I am so glad I have a well with great water. 

I am with the city water....and I can't complain at all about the price an quality.

However, when I visit friends with wells .... I find that the water generally has a nice sweet taste ....but the draw back especially near the bay is that you can only flush on number two and have to run around in the shower to get wet. But my hair is always manageable and  soft. :D

"Properties owned by the Maryland Stadium Authority are exempt from the city tax sale process," the Department of Public Works said in a statement cited by the Sun. "The properties went to tax sale due to a computer coding error."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/17/528799831/baltimores-pro-stadiums-are-rescued-from-lien-sale-overdue-water-bills-blamed?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170518

7 hours ago, downunder said:

"Properties owned by the Maryland Stadium Authority are exempt from the city tax sale process," the Department of Public Works said in a statement cited by the Sun. "The properties went to tax sale due to a computer coding error."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/17/528799831/baltimores-pro-stadiums-are-rescued-from-lien-sale-overdue-water-bills-blamed?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170518

Isn't it always interesting ....how...those in goooberment are always exempt from laws that are set up by other gooberment branches. And how is it....when it comes to them.....its 'ohhhh yeah a computer coding error' ....like right away...but some poor bastard when fighting to keep his home doesn't get that almost immediate remediation?

And they wonder why the 2nd is so important. Sometimes you only talk so long at a wall.

Aside from being a Lawman, I am the Treasurer for my Church. I recently got a water bill from the City, but when I tried to pay it, the check was returned to the bank. I noticed that a different account number had been attached to the bill, so I used the new number to pay the bill. Still, the City refused my payment.

My concern is this: What if the CIty is actively refusing to let businesses pay their water bills, as an excuse to put the businesses up for sale by the City? (Normally this would seem ridiculous, but considering a recent Sun article, I am concerned).

It would be nice if the Sun's investigative reporters could check into this to see why payments are being refused and if this is causing the Liens to be filed.

Lawman...I feel that the Sun did a pretty good job of covering it.

Now the fact that Pugh and council are hiding behind a smokescreen as well as the billing office of BC and the IT department not being able to or allowed to explain clearly the screw up(S) and like Trump is doing everything they can to NOT HELP PEOPLE save their homes but are all too accommodating when the stadiums get dinged.

Funny the stadiums get hit with a lien....goes away....1000ands of dollars go away. However, somebody owes 750....well as far as the BC system goes......it is have a nice day. Hope you got your stuff packed and out.

So, you have my empathy and sympathy....but since I am not a city dweller...... I can do nothing.

Maybe others can that actually live in the city.

ken that leaves you out.

Good luck!

On Monday, June 05, 2017 at 7:15 PM, Guido2 said:

Lawman...I feel that the Sun did a pretty good job of covering it.

Now the fact that Pugh and council are hiding behind a smokescreen as well as the billing office of BC and the IT department not being able to or allowed to explain clearly the screw up(S) and like Trump is doing everything they can to NOT HELP PEOPLE save their homes but are all too accommodating when the stadiums get dinged.

Funny the stadiums get hit with a lien....goes away....1000ands of dollars go away. However, somebody owes 750....well as far as the BC system goes......it is have a nice day. Hope you got your stuff packed and out.

So, you have my empathy and sympathy....but since I am not a city dweller...... I can do nothing.

Maybe others can that actually live in the city.

ken that leaves you out.

Good luck!

The Sun repeated what was told to them, that is not investigating it.

I have repeatedly tried to pay the bill, only to have the bank return the check.

Could it be that the City is waiting for a certain date when they can say, TAKE THE PROPERTY for themselves?

That is what I would like to see the Sun look into.